PDA

View Full Version : I need help picking a sport atv

jared crews
04-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this form and got on here to get yalls opinion, I'm 18 5'10" 170 pounds if that makes a difference and have been riding fourwheelers all my life well since I was 5. But all I have owned is a utility, even though I ride my cuzins sport quad a bit. I have alot of time on utility atv and a little on sports but I am wanting to buy me one so I can give his back to him lol. We ride in some pretty rough spots in the woods and in some rutted out spots to so I'm pretty sure ground clearance is a good thing. We only do woods riding most of it technical and thick woods no racing and I want something to cut up on a little but Nothing that will kill me. So wondering if yall can help me out plus our average ride is around 23 miles so I need somethig to last that long! Any help at all is greatly appreciated because I don't know much about the sport quads because I don't check on them like I do the utilities

exrider12
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Your best bet is a 2005+ Honda Trx400ex.

It will shine in the woods, not alot of clutch work, plenty of torque and alot of mods available if you want more power.

CJM
04-22-2011, 10:33 PM
yep, cant beat the old 400ex. Stupid simple, reliable and easy to work on.

Only other quads Id recommend is the Honda 450R or the Yamaha YFZ450 if you want to step up to a high performance race machine.

However the EX will do fine if your used to riding utilitys.

kbnorth99
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I started riding last summer. I bought a 2006 Honda 400ex because of it's simplicity and reliability. If I'm not mistaken it's the best selling ATV of all time.

I think you will want a 400 as they are usually the "trail" machines where the 450's are for the track. Yamaha does make the yfz450x which is a trail machine so if you need more power that is probably the way to go. The "track" machines are going to be wider and lower which will be a downside for you. If you want a sport machine but still want 4x4 Polaris makes the Scrambler and Can Am makes the Renegade. I like the Scrambler myself, my buddy has one and it's a nice machine but they are both at least 200 lbs heavier than the 2 wheel drive machines.

I don't have much experience with the other brands but I would highly recommend the 400ex. You can't beat the reliability. While your friends are working on their machines you will be out riding. The Honda also has great low end torque so hills and rough stuff is easy to take at low rpm's if needed.

The basic rules of thumb are
Reliability - Honda
Suspension - Suzuki
Power - Yamaha

I would recommend changing your sprocket sizes to lower your gear ratio and up your rear tires from the stock 20" to 22". My ex had 22's when I bought it. The sucked on the track but the ground clearance was nice. Mine also had a round profile instead of a flat so they stuck to the sides of ruts and hills great.

My final piece of advice would be to ride each one and see what FEELS right. I'm looking to upgrade from a 400 to a 450 so I have ridden a few. The Honda 450 doesn't fit me right. I don't know what or why but it feels unsteady but the Yamaha 450 feels great so how it feels to you will be important.

And most important is ride baby ride!!!

jared crews
04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm still gonna need ground clearence guys fo when I go up these ole rutted out hills

TheLane
04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
if you want something with more clearance look into a sport/utility crossover like one of the IRS bikes.

Polaris outlaw 525 IRS ( kinda hard to work on, but you can find them cheap and the ktm motor in them is awesome)

Or if you can still find one and dont mind a bigger bike, they were clearancing out the trx700's (But when i mean bigger i mean HUGE. And top heavy)

jared crews
04-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks man is yahama 450 low to the rround like all the other ones

kbnorth99
04-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by jared crews
Thanks man is yahama 450 low to the rround like all the other ones

Yeah the Yamaha 450 is similar to the 400's. All of the sports have very similar specs so the ground clearance will be about the same. You can get an extra 2-3 inches by going to a crossover like the Scrambler, Outlaw, or Renegade but the complexity increases huge.

CJM
04-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Every sport quads is gonna be low, no matter what you do they are designed that way. The only compromise is the independent rear machines are higher based on design but weigh alot more and are larger.

The width of the sports is fine, stock they are all about 46" or less and will fit on trails just fine.

If you pick one up (doesnt matter the type) your gonna need a swingarm and a chassis skidplate to protect them.

Ive ridden my EX all over the place and literally on a bed of rocks in one place with no issues if I was being careful. I have a 1/4 " thick aluminum swingarm skid that protects all the vitals.

22 inch rear tires will help, Im not a huge fan b/c I like how low mine is but if you go places that need clearance thats the way to go. Since most sports are setup for smaller tires you need to change the front sprocket to 1 tooth smaller than stock so you get the torque back.

I still vote the EX, like I said its stupid simple and reliable.

kbnorth99
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
^^^^ X2

jared crews
04-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys so I was looking at the outlaw 500 or do you think that's a little much I like it Bc how it is high off the ground and has a large gas tank. I like the 500 better than the 525 Bc I don't need all that power

CJM
04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Im not a huge fan myself of polaris, they are overly complicated imho. But they are apparently decently reliable. My buddy has an outlaw and he is always tinkering with it-but I dunno if its him or the quad lol.

You will find the majority of us ride a honda or a yamaha around these parts. Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Im not quite sure where you ride, but unless its all rocks any sport will handle it fine.

TheLane
04-22-2011, 11:27 PM
go for the 525 , The irs is great and its a newer bike than the 500. (parts are easier to get)

i ride the 450mx and am.........decently happy with it, even though i break it all the time, but i freestyle and ride MX, so im pretty hard on my bike.

jared crews
04-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
go for the 525 , The irs is great and its a newer bike than the 500. (parts are easier to get)

i ride the 450mx and am.........decently happy with it, even though i break it all the time, but i freestyle and ride MX, so im pretty hard on my bike.

You can probably handle it better than me I'm Afraid it will get away from me

finsteratv
04-23-2011, 12:01 AM
i'd definately get a 400ex. might be lowr then the polaris but taller tires and skid plates can help you out some there. plus the 400's you can lug all day. i mean literally with my 05 once warmed up i dont have to give it any gas on a flat road it just lugs and chugs.

jared crews
04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
So witch 400 to get now is the ? Some say kfx some say ex some say z then others say outlaw and the trx700 is there any 450 sport quad designed for this riding an if there is do I want one

CJM
04-23-2011, 06:37 AM
450, anyone of them is gonna require someone who knows how to work a clutch really well.

Like I said, 400EX. Most reliable out of box machine you can get and will not let you down.

TheLane
04-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by CJM
450, anyone of them is gonna require someone who knows how to work a clutch really well.

Like I said, 400EX. Most reliable out of box machine you can get and will not let you down.

x2,

and honestly there is not much difference in power between an outlaw 500 and a 525. you would be just fine :).

but! i agree with the 400 thing. If clearance pf it will do just fine, go with the ex.

jcs003
04-23-2011, 07:59 AM
400ex or trx250r.

Tommy Warren
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
So witch 400 to get now is the ? Some say kfx some say ex some say z then others say outlaw and the trx700 is there any 450 sport quad designed for this riding an if there is do I want one

kfx700= slow automatic v twin hard on gas and the motors always working

trx700= top heavy, heavy, underpowered, rediculous to work on, not a lot of aftermarket support, weird rim sizes

kfx, dvx, ltz 400= nice all around bike, can make more power than a 400ex with aftermarket engine work, does everything good.....does nothing great

400ex= reliable oil cooled (no rad, water pump, thermostat, fans, relays, hoses) good overall power, easy to work on, and sooooooo many aftermarket parts

kbnorth99
04-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Are you noticing a theme yet? 400ex keeps showing up for the reliability. Like one post said add some taller tires and skid plates and you'll be fine. And at under 400 lbs, if you do get hung up on something you can simply get off the quad, pick up one end and move it where you want it to be. You can't do that with the 700cc bikes and even the Outlaw is 50+ lbs heavier.

I'd say pick up a 400ex and try it out. They are so popular that if you decide you don't like it, they are easy to sell. That's the boat I'm in. I bought mine in June of last year and now I have decided I like MX so I am going for a 450 (wider, more power, more adjustable suspension, lower, etc) but I won't have any trouble selling my 400ex so I it's no big deal.

TheLane
04-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Cool thing about the 400ex too is that parts are cheap and plentiful. Also if you want a really cheap suspension upgrade you can find a pair of 450r shocks and it's pretty much a direct bolt on.

It's always a solid choice in my book.

trailrider894
04-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Testimony: My EX is 10yrs old with easily 500hrs of HARD riding or more and still running stock piston. :devil: That should close the case, you will now be getting a 400EX!!!

jared crews
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Guess y'all won't let me live it down if I get anything else so what's the difference between it and the z 400 an Te kfx 400

OldGuyonaQuad
04-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Yep can't go wrong with big red
That's all I read when I was in your position back in November.
I am so glad I went with the 400ex, liked it so much I bought a second one ( 08 & 03)
'05 and newer has reverse, I like the plastics on the 08 dunno if they changed in 07 or not but they modified the front and back from 2 pieces to 4 and as a result created less stress, cracking and drooping.
Good tires, a skid plate and nurf bars maybe a slip on and you are gtg. 400ex all the way

gl with your purchase, happy trails

TheLane
04-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Guess y'all won't let me live it down if I get anything else so what's the difference between it and the z 400 an Te kfx 400

more reliable, parts are more plentiful and easier to find

And let me tell you, from a guy who rides a polaris, there is something to be said for being able to find parts easily. its darn near impossible for me.

CJM
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Z400 and KFX are the same quad, so is the arctic cat DVX. Its similar to a 400ex but its water cooled. I like them, but the EX is just a better overall handling machine imho and much easier to work on.

So yea we might be biased (this did originally start as a 400EX forum-look at the URL lol) but trust me, stone dead reliable if you get one that wasnt abused (try and buy new or slightly used if you can unless you know what your looking at).

Mine has many, many hours on it and I only rebuilt it b/c the rings finally let go after years and years. Ive been running a 416cc setup for ages now with no issues at all.

jared crews
04-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Still some people tell me the ex is relible but under powered compared to 2 the kfx and z

CJM
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Still some people tell me the ex is relible but under powered compared to 2 the kfx and z

Slightly, but its nothing insane. Gotta remember for the price you pay, you can mod it to see fit.

Your call man, I ride red no matter what.

jared crews
04-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Guess I will be ridding red with y'all guys

trailrider894
04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Guess I will be ridding red with y'all guys

You'll never look back... lol

here is mine if it helps you get excited!!!

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/ed-0126.jpg

RATPACK Z400
04-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Z400 or KFX 400 way better choice had both Z and EX , Z is just astep above the Ex . There very reliable as well handle great best 400cc quad you can get these guys on here are all biased towards honda .EX is in no way better the the Z.

BenHonda400ex
04-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
Your best bet is a 2005+ Honda Trx400ex.

It will shine in the woods, not alot of clutch work, plenty of torque and alot of mods available if you want more power. Hey that's what I said in a forum in your signature about the trombone :D

CJM
04-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Z400 or KFX 400 way better choice had both Z and EX , Z is just astep above the Ex . There very reliable as well handle great best 400cc quad you can get these guys on here are all biased towards honda .EX is in no way better the the Z.

Well obviously were all biased. FWIW ive ridden both and will admit they are slightly faster and the watercooling is nice-but they arent leaps and bounds better.

I do find it interesting very few people I know ride much else seems everyone rides red or they got a YFZ450. Doesnt matter where I go either, maybe its coincidence.

Still ya gotta admit, the EX is the most enduring quad of all time next to the 250R-nothing else can match it for longevity besides the crappy warrior.

Honda4LifeWes36
04-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah my first real quad was my 400ex that I got about 6 years ago and I still have it with the stock piston. Very durable and love the mods you can do to it.

As for speed, yeah, the KFX probably has it SLIGHTLY beat on the track if both riders are the same skill level. For trail riding, I would say the EX. Probably the best trail quad out there.

For most of the trails I ride on, it doesn't matter if you have a 200cc Blaster or a Honda 700xx. Such tight trails doesn't allow you to really get into it and actually lose people. I'm sittin on a 400ex and have yet to get blown away by the so called "big boys."

RATPACK Z400
04-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Mine 2003 and still got same piston !

400grl
04-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Why hasn't anyone suggested a Raptor 700? Great trail bike....plenty of power and very comfortable to ride.....

Tommy Warren
04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Why hasn't anyone suggested a Raptor 700? Great trail bike....plenty of power and very comfortable to ride.....

raptor riders aren't really welcome here....I made a list of bikes in this thread that were great for the trail.....but I didn't include my raptor because the 450 guys blow up their chests when you mention big bores. trust me I've tried it before.....although IMO the raptor does everything the 400's do...it just does it faster

trailrider894
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
raptor riders aren't really welcome here....I made a list of bikes in this thread that were great for the trail.....but I didn't include my raptor because the 450 guys blow up their chests when you mention big bores. trust me I've tried it before.....although IMO the raptor does everything the 400's do...it just does it faster

The Raptors, are top heavy and roll to much in the corners... Not to mention they weigh more, and people who don't know how to ride rely on the power to make them win, not skill.

TheLane
04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Not only that he said the power of a 525 was too much, let alone a 700. Read the whole thread fools!

exrider12
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by BenHonda400ex
Hey that's what I said in a forum in your signature about the trombone :D

Not gonna lie the first time I read that I laughed so hard hahaha :D

CJM
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
I tried a raptor, I just plain dont like how they handle. Nothing wrong with it for others tho, but not my cup of tea.

jcs003
04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
raptors are gay!

Jigsaw
04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Get a KTM :D

Honda4LifeWes36
04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
KTM = Keep the Mechanic :D

JK lol I saw that the other day on here.

I love KTMs actually.