PDA

View Full Version : Flat-track---?'s

"BLAHH"300!!
02-19-2003, 02:17 AM
FLAT-TRACK
....what, do you just jump off the line, hold her wide open for a few laps and whoever's in front wins?
..kinda like a really long, round, drag race huh?
how many laps, what classes'...

so it's more or less who has the fastest quad right, and not so much who can ride the best (accept off the line)

i think there's going to be one opening this summer, and i wanna know more about it...
....300ex, what gearing and tire's and tire size's are best for this race (front and rear)

fourwhls
02-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Flat track oval is all about keeping the momentum going. A good start always helps, but keeping up the speed through the corners is a big factor.

Yes you need a fast bike, but you also need some large cajones. Its a little intimidating to throw your bike sideways in the corners at 65-70mph with other quads six inches away from you.

With the 300ex, I would recommend 18" Flat track tires (Hoosier, American Racers) all the way around. Gearing is up to you. The taller the better.

oynot400
02-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Flat tracking is not as easy as you may think. Set up is the most important! A properly set up quad with no motor work will be faster than one with motor work and not set up. I have seen 300ex's blow away a Raptor's , just because it was set up. You need to be low, wide, stable and fast to win. Get yourself a swaybar or make one. A front and rear lowering kit is a good investment to start out with. The track I ran last year was a very fast track. From what I timed the pro class was runnig about 75 mph! :eek:
It is a good time, I am sure you will enjoy it. :D

Chef
02-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Yes....Flat Track/TT is not easy. You think you use alot of brakes in MX or XC? Get on a fast, but twisty, TT track and you will be surprised. Its all about the set up, being awesome at throttle and brake control, and bein able to hold the throttle WFO sideways at 65 on hardpack clay...:D

"BLAHH"300!!
02-22-2003, 01:23 AM
...thanx guys.

how could i go about making my own rear lowering kit.
i'm runnin' 400ex arms, and i can put my 300ex shocks back on and it'll be alot lower. (what is it like 2-2.1/2 lower)
and if i leave the modded upper shock mount on when i put on my 300ex shocks....it's like 4" lower or close.
, but my rear is all stock....any tips on getting this built.

i'm about +1 1/4 or +2 in the front, and i can go from
stock to +1, + 1-1/2, +2....plenty low, plenty wide....

motor work is on the way.

oynot400
02-22-2003, 01:28 AM
You can buy an adjustable rear dog bone to lower the rear end. You can go too low, a guy I ride with lowered his shee so low that in the corners the belly bottomed out on the track. The best advice I can tell you is go to the races and look around the pits. Look to see what everyone else is doing. There are lots of friendly racers that would help out a beginner. ;)

Chef
02-22-2003, 02:41 PM
This is how low the front of my 400 sits right now. Notice the A-Arm angle.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-22-2003, 03:25 PM
ilike the flame you got on there.
...don't really notice it, but it's there.

Bean
02-22-2003, 03:56 PM
wide a-arms
short wheelbase
good brakes
fast HIGH revving motor
good rider
low as possible
good start
good tires

wins FT races, btw you would be suprized how hard it is, and let me tell you, i cracked my frame in 5 spots flipppin over on a FT race in 4th pinned...

"BLAHH"300!!
02-22-2003, 04:54 PM
....well that puts me out.
i have NO rear brakes. i have brakes, but their in my shed.
i got front brakes.

TRX_Thumper
02-22-2003, 06:04 PM
well if no rear brakes is keeping you from racing...then you wasnt wantin to race all that bad anyway...fix em..put pads rotor and rebuild the master cylinder and caliper with new seals its all real simple

"BLAHH"300!!
02-22-2003, 06:35 PM
........a parking block off would fix em.
their just not on my top 10 list, and i'm used to it.

QuadJunkies
02-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by CHEF440EX
This is how low the front of my 400 sits right now. Notice the A-Arm angle. :blah :blah I just love your set up!!! I just loved the flattrack ,BUT... this is a small indoor track too, Im not sure if I would be so willing to run mine on the outdoors track, thats awesome power,but I dont know if I am ready for that fast of a track, and I know my quad is no where near.:(.. I am going to start small, getting my fronts off set this week, I got my lowering kit Ill have my sway bar late this summer a set of turf tamers(this is good for our track)and maybe try some radials.Also a set of wheel spacers i checking into this week..;) If you try it, make sure you use lots of body english,its def not as easy as it looks and it can get very nutty out there...Troy had his last race tongiht and he got ran over AND drug about 10 feet cause his boot got tangled into the guys tires somehow.:(