PDA

View Full Version : faster in 1st and 2nd gear

XtremeTony
04-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey guys, my son races his 90 typhoon in hare scrambles. Engine is stock and all. What could I do that is fairly easy to make it quicker in the take off and 1st, 2nd gear. He is mainly in those gears sometimes 3rd. But seems to take a while to pick up speed. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

ridehonda400ex
04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
For more acceleration drop the front sprocket size OR raise the back sprocket size. And 1 tooth dropped in the front equals a 3 tooth raise in the back sprocket, approximately

For more top speed raise the front sprocket size OR drop the rear sprocket size and 1 tooth raise in the front equals a 3 tooth drop in the back sprocket, approximately

bigdaddy77
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
You can lower the gearing by changing sprockets. Lower number of teeth on front sprocket higher number of teeth on rear sprocket. Stock gearing is 14/43. You can order 13 tooth fronts from tbolt or firepower minis. You can get real nice rear sprockets from a place called pmp sprockets. If you order a rear sprocket the typhoon model number is ty-001 or ty-002 . The ty-002 sprocket does away with the rubber dampers (smaller hole in sprocket) They will make you what ever tooth sprocket you want.
We just started playing around with this ourselves hope this helps.

XtremeTony
04-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I went and counted the current teeth on the sprockets. The front is 13 and the rear is 43. I am not real mechanical but not completely dumb either. Would just be easier if they had a manual on these atvs. So I should be able to put a 12 on the front, looks like that is easiest one to change.

bigdaddy77
04-25-2011, 06:36 AM
You need to check and see if they make a 12 tooth front sprocket . It is the easiest and cheapest to change. The back isnt as bad as you think.
Standing at the back of quad remove the right side rear tire.
1. Undo the 2 allen head screws on the hub.take off the c ring at end of axle and remove the hub.
2. Loosen the 2 allen head bolts on each side of the swing arm.
3. Loosen the 3 allen head bolts on the carrier of the swing arm, the part that the brake rotor and sprocket is attached too.
4. Take the 2 allen head bolts out of the brake caliper. These are on the right side of the caliper towards the bottom. they go through the caliper into the aluminum bracket that holds the caliper to the quad.
5. Pull the right bearing carrier and spacer off the axle. Remember the spacer when reinstalling
6. Now your ready to remove the axle out to the left. Notice the key and key way that hold the hub and axle carrier.
Now your ready to change the sprocket. Sounds harder than it is. If you by sprocket from pmp I reccomend going with the ty-002 and get rid of rubbers in sprocket. The old bolts wont fit in new sprocket just go to hardware store and buy 4 new bolts.

Also if you are going to do any wrenching I suggest going to sears or other tool store and getting a good set of metric allen wrenches. I have the the socket type that fit on 3/8 drive ratchet.

Also I spent alot of time reading this forum, Go to the bottom and change it to go back to the beginning and start reading. Remember there are no dumb questions only questions not asked can be dumb. Good Luck

XtremeTony
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Would this sprocket work..http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/KS003521.html
...also how.do.I know the size of.chain I have and would I need to get a smaller one

Thanks for the help

bigdaddy77
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Check tbolt or firepowerminis . It takes a 17 mm shaft so I dont know about that honda sprocket.
Regarding the chain you can take a link out too make it smaller, or you can buy a chain there not that expensive and they come in 130 links. I think someone on here said a stock chain has 40 links so you could make 3 chains out of one. might want to get a chain buster also 15 or 20 bucks. before buying you need tyo know if you have a 420 or 428 chain 428 is thicker and came stock on the 07 xtremes. Rob1ride says his son came with a 420 . Look on the web for a link to motorcycle chains and you should get the dimensions for each style chain.