PDA

View Full Version : bad stator?? please help!!!

drr50dad
04-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Here is what I got. 2008 drr 50. Running good over three days it becomes harder to start, then idles but won't rev. Changed coil...had a spare...same thing. Now I found out the hard way engine case is electrified, like knock you in the dirt hot. Is this stator failure? I am lost. Anyone have step by step on stator replacement? Thanks. Race harness...simple wiring...

EthansDad
04-22-2011, 07:53 PM
The only voltage high enough to kick you is coming from the coil. has the coil / plug wire rubbed on the frame and is grounding? that would give the kick and also the poor running issues. just check from the hot side of the ignition coil out. could also be a failing kill switch that was wired incorrectly. also, check / change plug in case that has a short in it.

might also be good to find a "buddy" to do the frame testing for you -"hey, touch this and tell me what you think" :devil:

if its not electrical, first thing that came to mind is you've lost compression. how fresh is your top end?

drr50dad
04-23-2011, 09:30 AM
I checked compression. I've got right at 125. Got a new stator coil and cdi gonna try that. I did notice I have no ground from engine to frame, but its been running fine till now. Thanks guys......I also have kill switch un hooked.

drr50dad
04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Turned out to be bad stator. Somehow it was rubbing on the crank when weight was on the back. Finally wore into the winding... Any ideas?