PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke oil in gasoline for 4-strokes?

dave07ex
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Ok, ok, ok, before any of you jump all over this and bash it, please let the info sink in and form an educated opinion or relate some experience with this. *Disclaimer: I am neither for or against this, I'm only relating what I read.*

I read in another forum about ppl using a small amount of 2-stroke oil in 4 stroke engines, in an effort to counter-act the negative effects of ethanol in the gasoline that's in just about every gas station anymore. They claim that dyno tests on a few american V8 engines show an increase in fuel economy and no loss in hp/torque. They also claimed that the minute amount of oil in the gasoline actually helped to counter-act the negative effects of ethanol found in gasoline today. It was also reported that there was no apparent sign of excess carbon buildup. Apparently these guys used 100:1 oil in something like a 200:1 or 300:1 ratio. Has anyone heard of doing this? I would have thought that the oil would cause the fuel to burn "dirtier" and create carbon buildup on the valves and cylinder walls, but what do I know... I'm not considering doing this, however I do find it interesting and worth researching a bit further. I can tell you that my car does not like the ethanol gas that's available here now, but it's a turbo car and anyone who owns a hi-perf turbo car knows they are picky eaters.

CJM
04-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Never heard of it, if anything the small amount of oil probably barely is noticeable. Were talking like adding a cap full to 5 gallons of gas or something. Kinda like someone peeing in a pool..

You could try it, but my quad runs fine on the E10 stuff. I dont use any stabilizer at all-but I also fill it everytime I go and I burn up about a tank in a day. I do however add a good splash of seafoam to my tank (when its either totally or half full) to clean out anything every few months. Used seafoam in everything I have with no negative issues. I know it cleans stuff out b/c Ive added it to engines that were hardly serviced and after adding it the thing ran like new.

I did try star tron additive (that blue stuff they sell at the dealer and elsewhere). Didnt seem to do anything that I noticed.

So yea, you could try it-not much to lose except if the engine blows.

fitz
04-22-2011, 01:34 PM
oil also causes detonation, since you are talking car world, especially a turbo car, if you don't have proper crank case ventilation and oil is getting into your intake path it will reduce octane resulting in detonation. I don't know if the 2 stroke oil would burn differently than conventional oil though.

Fuel economy may be one thing, but I don't like the sound of it for a performance standpoint.

(yes I am new here and this was my first post :) )

dave07ex
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Personally, I use sta-bil marine in the quad and my car. I don't drive too many miles so a tank lasts a while.

CJM
04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
For what it is worth, I threw some seafoam into a full tank on the quad this winter and let it sit. Started up no issues at all this spring. it is supposed to stabilize gas too.

I will not use stabil, it doesnt work. Friend of mine had 2 quads he added like 3x as much stabil to and 2 months later they wouldnt start till I threw some fresh 93 in there. Ive had the same problem before E10 gas came about.

What I would like to use but cant find any is PRI-G, it does work but I cant find it anymore.

2001400exrida
04-22-2011, 04:01 PM
your friend obviously put too much stabil in the mix.

you can do that.....

stabil has always worked for me.

trxPOWER
04-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, i didnt add anything to my tank and let my quad sit all winter and it started right up this spring.

CJM
04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
FWIW Ive used stabil alot on all kinds of stuff it never worked very well.

Best thing to do imho and always works-run the carb outta gas and then drain the bowl.

tri5ron
04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
I've never heard of 2 stroke oil being used in a 4 stroke engine, and I don't know anything about it countering any supposed negative effects of ethanol.
I suppose it might offer a bit of upper cylinder lube, that otherwise would not be there,... but at 200:1 - 300:1, I'd have to agree that it would be equivalent to peeing in a swiming pool.

What I can state, in a somewhat related subject is,...
I have used a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil, in the fuel tank of my '56, and there is a VERY noticeable difference in how smooth it runs, as well as my "Butt Dyno" seems to detect a little more power.

I have used MM Oil in various vehicles over the years, and some seem to respond with positive results, and others not so noticeable.
It does seem that older carb'ed engines respond more, to the additional "upper cylinder lube", than the newer FI engines.

Makes my old lawn mower a little happier too.

I have used it in my quad once or twice, and have'nt really been able to tell much difference.

400man
04-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Ive ran about a gallon of mixed gas for my 250r in my 400ex one time. A buddy came up and wanted to go ride in my trails and my 400ex was low on fuel and all I had was a little bit of mixed gas, 40:1 with klotz premix. I put a gallon in it and rode it with out any problems at all. it ran the same as usually all except it had a little extra blue smoke at WOT and my buddy said my exhaust smelled like a 2 stroke :p

jcs003
04-23-2011, 03:01 AM
i will definitely lean your jetting. may also gum up your valves.

also, the way two stroke oil lubricates is; it puddles up on top of the crank and when you spin it at higher RPMs it shoots up on the cylinder walls and is distributed by the pistons reciprocating motion.

MtnEX
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
i will definitely lean your jetting. may also gum up your valves.

also, the way two stroke oil lubricates is; it puddles up on top of the crank and when you spin it at higher RPMs it shoots up on the cylinder walls and is distributed by the pistons reciprocating motion.

I am a 2 stroke guy at my core and have a lot of time with them.

Here is what I know to be true.

The result you get with a 2 stroke oil, no matter the engine largely depends on....

1- the QUALITY of the oil and type
2- the mix ratio
3- the quality 2 stroke oils resist ping/knock/detonation

Moral of the story being.... a nasty 2 stroke oil mixed at a rich ratio can plug up any motor severely, even a 2 stroke calling for the mixture.... while on the other hand a quality 2 stroke oil can be ran in any gas engine at a ratio rich enough to protect any 2 stroke motor and you would never see an ill effect.

The down side though is that not all quality 2 stroke oils will help you with the ill effects of ethanol on your fuel system. It will still eat crap up and still collect water. It will however help with the real dry fuel effects... as alcohols are dry in nature and offer no intake a fuel delivery part lubrication.

The changes they have made to diesel fuels has diesel owners facing the same problems. A ton of those guys mix quite a lot of 2 stroke oil into their diesel.