PDA

View Full Version : 2001 honda 400ex Hodrod crank question

warriorman03
04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I just picked up a 2001 honda 400ex project quad. The timing chain snapped in the motor bent valves and destroyed the piston. The guy said it had a 440 kit on it. I tore it down and found that it has a hot rod crank. Can anyone tell me if its a stroker or not? It say HR 609 on the crank connecting rod. I need to know if it is a stroker crank or not so i can order a new piston. I appriciate any help.

400excracer
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I am not sure if that is the stock Hot Rods crank assembly or the stroker Hot Rods assembly. If it is the stock one then you can use whatever piston you want (depending the bore size). If it is the stroker it comes with the piston and it is actually a 460cc kit. I would call Hot Rods and give them that part # off the crank and they will be able to tell you what you got.

400excracer
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Correction...the piston is purchased separately. You can use a different brand of piston but you will have to buy a custom cam chain and base plate.

trailrider894
04-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by 400excracer
Correction...the piston is purchased separately. You can use a different brand of piston but you will have to buy a custom cam chain and base plate.

Custom cam chain and base plate??:huh

I don't think so... Never heard someone say that in all my years of re-search and building.

He just needs to find a special piston that is designed for the correct +mm if it is a stroker crank. CP,JE, and Wiesco all make them...