PDA

View Full Version : How to get beat up less racing mx?

04-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Ive got lt elkas and jrd aarms for my front end, but the shocks were a little long for the aarms and set 25 lbs heavier than i weigh. The set up still works fine (i think the shocks are less than half an inch too long, but i got them to work) and it turns great, but when im landing bigger jumps it can be a rough landing. Im thinking maybe i can get some flexx bars or some other parts to help soften the blow, any advice? Please dont come on here telling me to buy new aarms or shocks or whatever, because i dont have the cash for that right now and the set up really works good. Im just trying to make it a little more of a cushioned landing. I have the shocks softened all of the way already. Anything i can do with the springs maybe? Theyre triple or quad rate elkas. Im open to all suggestions except new aarms and shocks :D

sexysilverado45
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't know on elka's but on my motowoz I have these adjusters for the top and middle springs. If you take the cross over and thread it up to the top it uses more of that spring. So for the top tender spring you would thread the adjusters up. Also when you land are you on the gas? Flexx bars won't do much but they would help. Also tire pressure can help with that. Also maybe stiffening the compression may help. You may be bottoming out. If it were me id adjust the springs first.

CADWELL
04-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Although shocks and overall certain mods would aid in your "rough landings" I'd say the cheapest way to improve is to refine your riding style.

In other words, you could jump a 30ft table or a 100ft table, but landing the downside will make the difference no matter how big the jump is. Get up and over the jumps and try not to over shoot them and your landing would be much more forgiving...JMO...

Set your rider sag (preload) with you on the bike and play with the Low speed compression by making the shock stiffer. By "softening' shocks they're just gonna bottom out sooner on impact.

04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Not to toot my own horn, but im pretty smooth as far as landings go haha. I land on the gas and land correctly and it still is a little rough. Ill check out the spring situation when i get home, maybe that will work on my elkas.

04-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Oh and it definitely doesnt bottom out, its come close a few times but not quite.

quad2xtreme
04-22-2011, 07:00 AM
you really can't do much to compensate if the springs are too firm for your weight. You need the right rebound to stop yourself from getting bounced after landing...and setting that rebound has an impact on the compression side as well. Make sure you have the rebound set properly though or that sudden rebound can make for a rough feeling landing too.

I know you don't want to spend a bundle but you might think about getting new springs or trading your springs for a softer set.

Another common mistake is thinking you are bottoming out and increasing compression setting...thus really creating a "false" bottom. Given you said you have yours as soft as they will go, it isn't your issue but may be helpful to others to think about.

I wouldn't spend the money to try fixing with Flexbars...I spend that money getting new springs and then revalved if necessary.

Pappy
04-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Get the shocks built for your set up...running a "might" work set up just doesnt cut it.

Wired
04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
i read elka and immediately knew the problem. ;)

dustin_j
04-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Wired
i read elka and immediately knew the problem. ;)

X2, haha

04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Nah ive ran fox floats, motowoz, custom axis, revalves, you name it ive ran it haha. I still think elkas are awesome shocks. Maybe its just me but ive always liked the way elkas work. Im gonna check out to see if theres a crossover spring because it seems like my old fox rear had one. In the end im sure ill get the right springs but for now im going to make the best out of what i have. I bought the shocks being told they were a certain length only to find out they were longer than expected. Oh well.

woodsracer144
04-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by #101
Oh and it definitely doesnt bottom out, its come close a few times but not quite.

just the way i set up my shocks but you want to bottom out at least once every lap... or your not using all the travle you have... just an idea...

woodsracer144
04-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by #101

I'd set it up so you bottom at least once so you use all the travle... thats what i do...

FHKracingZ
04-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
I'd set it up so you bottom at least once so you use all the travle... thats what i do...

You do not wanna bottom out your shocks at all. One bottom out can cause you to wad yourself. You wanna get close then tune your highspeed just stiff enough to compensate for not bottoming.

I have plenty of experience setting up and having my stuff setup by fox. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

TheLane
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I dont know about once per lap......id say once per day. Your shocks should only bottom when they save you from a potentially bad situation. you should definitely be using most of your travel...but if your bottoming every lap, that means you dont have any suspension left for unforgiving situations.

FHKracingZ
04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
I dont know about once per lap......id say once per day. Your shocks should only bottom when they save you from a potentially bad situation. you should definitely be using most of your travel...but if your bottoming every lap, that means you dont have any suspension left for unforgiving situations.

Lol wrong again. I am telling you, you do not want your suspension bottoming at all. How are they gonna save you from a bad situation when you fully bottom it becomes a bad situation because your shocks are not predictable when fully bottomed.

hondaracer_34
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Bottoming your shocks out...NO way. Sounds like your rebound isnt set fast enough. I've always been told to set your rebound as fast as you can without it bucking you off, and it works.

Check your ride height also, in front of the engine mounts and right at the foot peg mounts. Elka recommends 7.5-9 inches of frame clearance, but when I installed my Elkas, that was too high for MX. I'm trying 6-6.5 inches whenever I can get out next time.

Also, stiffen up your springs, too soft you will bottom out, sounds like your problem also. I don't know alot about suspension but I know some. If they are tripple rate, you can remove the top "no preload spring" by compressing the shock and removing the spring cup, then making them dual rate, which then you can set your ride height better.

04-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Yea i dont like my suspension bottoming out either, but even if i did i cant because my suspensions all the way soft and the ride height is good where its at. Anyone have any more info on the crossover spring? I never really understood the one on my fox. Fhk ill message you later on if i cant figure it out tomorrow, thanks

dustin_j
04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
When you have multiple springs stacked (in series), the equivalent or actual rate is softer than any one spring in the stack. Your spring guides or go-betweens have crossover spacers incorporated into them. When the crossover spacers touch, the spring can no longer compress and is "crossed-out." When a spring gets crossed-out, the spring rate of the entire stack increases (gets stiffer). You can change the height of the crossover stack (or with Elkas try to flip them over) to tune when (in the travel) each spring crosses out. This creates a more progressive curve, where a single spring is linear.

Do you have 3 or 4 springs on your shocks? What orientation are the go-betweens for each spring? Tall side up or down? Also, the go-betweens have different heights, so you can swap them between springs also. Hope this helps.

woodsracer144
04-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
You do not wanna bottom out your shocks at all. One bottom out can cause you to wad yourself. You wanna get close then tune your highspeed just stiff enough to compensate for not bottoming.

I have plenty of experience setting up and having my stuff setup by fox. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Well I ran woods so I didn't have jumps so I was always really soft....

04-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I want to say theyre quad rate but ill look tomorrow morning to make sure. Will flipping the springs over change the ride height?

TheLane
04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Lol wrong again. I am telling you, you do not want your suspension bottoming at all. How are they gonna save you from a bad situation when you fully bottom it becomes a bad situation because your shocks are not predictable when fully bottomed.

well of course never at all is best:D my point is you want them as plush as possible without bottoming. but with suspension that is set up right its unavoidable for it to happen every now and then like when you overshoot/case a jump, ect.

imo running suspension too hard is almost as dangerous as running it too soft.....almost. and definitely wont help you not get your *** kicked any less.

04-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Just for the heck of it, heres a picture of my suspension in the first corner of a holeshot when i got on the front brakes kinda hard (im the honda out front of course ). It really squats the right amount and everything its just a rough landing in the bigger jumps. Hopefully the spring deal will work tomorrow, im gonna give it a shot. Other than the occasional rough landing, it actually turns better than any front end set up ive ever had before.

dustin_j
04-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Flipping the springs won't do anything. Flip the go-betweens (plastic pieces between the springs. Maybe take a picture of how they are oriented when the shock is fully extended. This will change how it transfers weight in the corners also, so maybe your crossovers are fine.

Have someone measure your main spring length with you on the bike, it should be compressed to 7-7.25 per GT Thunder. If your spring is longer, then it's too stiff for you, and will result in a harsh ride.

Since you said the shocks were too long, did you measure shock extended and compressed length along with ATV desired extended and compressed lengths. Make sure nothing is binding during the travel.