PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if im Wrong!!!????

Grande Huevos
04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
heres the deal guys i just picked up a set of used standard travel TCS front shocks that look dam near new! and they came off of a bike that seemed to have it all, so i would assume they would b mint! but heres the part thats kind of worrying me. the shocks r still off of the bike and when u take either one and stand it up on the ground and push down should u really b able to compress them at all? if so how much? The main thing thats kinda gettin to me is..... and Correct me if im wrong, when u push on them they should NOT make any noise!!?? squeeks and or almost a grinding sound? shouldnt they b fairly quiet and smooth feeling and sounding? Please give me ur input on what u think.

mx Eli
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
most shocks toy will be able to push down a small amount like 1/2inch if that but it will move

the noise could be the crossovers clanking and making the noise

derby
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
heres the deal guys i just picked up a set of used standard travel TCS front shocks that look dam near new! and they came off of a bike that seemed to have it all, so i would assume they would b mint! but heres the part thats kind of worrying me. the shocks r still off of the bike and when u take either one and stand it up on the ground and push down should u really b able to compress them at all? if so how much? The main thing thats kinda gettin to me is..... and Correct me if im wrong, when u push on them they should NOT make any noise!!?? squeeks and or almost a grinding sound? shouldnt they b fairly quiet and smooth feeling and sounding? Please give me ur input on what u think.

I think it depends. If they are zps then the first 1/4 in or so would be pretty easy to push down. The crossover bushings will make a squeek or grinding noise especially if there is a little dirt in them.

edit sorry looks like me and mx eli responded at the same time

jcs003
04-22-2011, 05:04 AM
if they sat for a while a squeek is common. the grinding im not so sure.

also, its not good to compress a shock the way you described. it can create a binding situation and could damage your seal head.

rustyATV
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
.... and Correct me if im wrong, when u push on them they should NOT make any noise!!?? squeeks and or almost a grinding sound? shouldnt they b fairly quiet and smooth feeling and sounding? Please give me ur input on what u think.

Are you sure you're not hearing the fluid flow in the shock?

I've not messed with my quad's shocks because the springs really prevent me from compressing them, but when I've compressed my truck's shocks they'll make some noise as the fluid flows through the valving.

Grande Huevos
04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by rustyATV
Are you sure you're not hearing the fluid flow in the shock?

I've not messed with my quad's shocks because the springs really prevent me from compressing them, but when I've compressed my truck's shocks they'll make some noise as the fluid flows through the valving. yes I am positive its nlot fluid its prob because they been sitting as stated earlier and most likely have sand in them since it was a sand bike they came off of. I'm gonna hook them up clean them and wd40 them and see it it doesn't go away