PDA

View Full Version : DRR 70 Help needed!

jrspawn
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Im trying to trace down an electrical problem on a DRR 70(i think its an 09 or 10).

Everything seemed to be fine, then after a race they had power washed everything and blew the quad off. Now the electric start will not work.

From what ive seen im getting a little confused though. The stock handle bar switch has the blue/white wire going to one side of the push start button, and the other wire is a black wire. When the then button is pressed it should close the circuit and send power to the starter. But its not.

The black wire coming off the starter button itself looks like it goes down to a single bullet connector, that is unplugged and not connected to anything. If i jump power to this unplugged black wire, the starter button works fine. What am i missing here? Has something else been disconnected or missing?

The black wire has a female bullet connector end on it thats left unplugged. But also in the same area i noticed a black/yellow wire that was unplugged also on the main harness side. It is a male bullet connector. I tried making a connection there, but again no go!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

jakesdad6
04-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Pull the relay out under the seat use a jumper wire and jump touch both big wires together should engage the starter if so put relay back in and should work. I had to do this alot last year untill I found the wire that needed power on the push button keep losing power. Sometimes it would have it and sometime it wouldn't so I trace it back the wire runs along the frame to the relay. So I just took the oil light wire sinse it's 12 v constint with the key on and tied it in to the push start button wire and it fix the issue for me. Also there is a fuse under the seat check that to. Sorry I am terrible at trying to explain something better at showing you hope this helps thanks.

nitrofish
04-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Does it have the safety brake switch on the front brake? Those are notorious for problems. Matt.

jrspawn
04-22-2011, 07:07 AM
The starter works fine if I jump the two large wires to the relay. My problem is the push button for the starter is not sending any voltage back when pressed.

Again from what it looks like the blue/white wire is your trigger wire, but the other wire to it is the black wire with a single female bullet connector that is unplugged. If I'm thinkIng right that wire should be getting power with keyswitch on so when the button is pressed it closes the circuit with the blue/white wire and sends voltage to trigger the starter.

Am I missing something here?

EthansDad
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
yea, then the brake level switch and the stock kill tether are always very suspect. even after market tethers - we seem to go through two a season.

My $.02 - this is EXACTLY the reason you want to go through the effort to strip the electrical system to the bear minimum. trouble shooting electrical problems sux. unless you have a reason to run all the extra electrical, can strip everything, even remove the starter gears and simplify things - even reduce spinning mass and get a bit more go out of the bike.