PDA

View Full Version : rebuild options

jgar
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey guy, Iam looking for a little in put about rebuilding my ex. At this point Iam trying to figure out what the best build for me is. I ride rocky trails and sand pits. I dont race. As of now my ex is stock with a sparks +6 key and uni filter. I was thinking of doing a 10:1 416 with the key and stage 1 cam. But Iam also considering stock key, 11:1 416, hd studs, and stage 2 cam. I want a well rounded machine that will preform well on all trails and in the sand. Thanks.

CJM
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
I find the 416 is a good all around setup. I ride trails and sand with no issues with mine. Mine has a nice lowend and I can lug it around like a tractor if I want to, but open it wide up and it performs well.

If I had to redo it all again:
406 or 416 (If its been awhile its always a good idea as the bores do wear out over time)
10:1 or 11:1
Stage 2 cam
Open air box
04-05 450r carb

That should give you plenty of power. I figure you already know with 11:1 you cant run the key, 10:1 you can. HD studs are the icing on the cake so to speak, not truly needed but always a good idea.

hocman123
04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
i might be wrong but i don't think i am. if u run 10:1 u need to get a +3 timing key to run on pump gas

CJM
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
i might be wrong but i don't think i am. if u run 10:1 u need to get a +3 timing key to run on pump gas

Yes, your right. You can run a +6 but depending on jetting, other mods and air temps it might get to hot.

jgar
04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yes, your right. You can run a +6 but depending on jetting, other mods and air temps it might get to hot.
Odds are I would keep the stock ex carb and exhaust system. How would jetting be a problem with a +6? To lean would make that set up to hot? Could I also do a 11:1 with a +3

hocman123
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
i think he means that jetting could be a problem becauase some people depending on many varitables might be able to get away with +6 with 10:1 but most would not be able to run it.

arounding to wheelie which is the sits expert on keys 10:1 can run with +3 most of the time with out problem.

but if u but in 11:1 u can't run any key other then the stock one without useing 110 octane fuel

o and as fare as being lean causeing to much heat it really dosen't matter when u advance ur timeing u are makeing more heat and can cause predetenation even if ur jetting is spot on.

jgar
04-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
i think he means that jetting could be a problem becauase some people depending on many varitables might be able to get away with +6 with 10:1 but most would not be able to run it.

arounding to wheelie which is the sits expert on keys 10:1 can run with +3 most of the time with out problem.

but if u but in 11:1 u can't run any key other then the stock one without useing 110 octane fuel

o and as fare as being lean causeing to much heat it really dosen't matter when u advance ur timeing u are makeing more heat and can cause predetenation even if ur jetting is spot on.

Thanks