PDA

View Full Version : LTR keeps leaking coolant into the oil

2001400exrida
04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
My buddy has disassembled and re-assembled his 08 ltr450 3 times now so i figured i would pick the experts brain a little.

He can get it to run perfect without coolant, but as soon as he puts coolant in, it seeps into the motor and white smoke comes out and the thing doesn't idle or run very well.

he has replaced the headgasket 2 times and can't figure out where the issue is.

he also has a 470 something? big bore. he used the big bore gaskets the first time and then the stock gaskets the second time.

Any ideas where the coolant might be leaking in at? the mating surfaces on the head and cylinder look perfect. I dunno if it's cracked in the coolant holes or what?

thanks in advance he's at a stand still right now and very frustrated.

LTR450_#67
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
You need to run an oversized head gasket. Odds are your piston beat it up already.....another thing to look at is the case cover gasket on the right side. The head could be warped.

2001400exrida
04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
haha, read my post brother.

he already tried the over-sized head gasket, it leaked.

then he tried the stock gasket, it leaked.

you can use a stock gasket with this bore just in case you were wondering that. there is no need to run the over-sized head gasket.

LTR450_#67
04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah nevermind on the case cover gasket then also. Look at your mating surfaces make sure they are flat, no cracks. Was the cylinder sleeved 4 the bigbore? If so, maybe the sleeve wasn't pressed in correctly and it's leaving a shoulder holding up the surfaces from sealing.....

just some thoughts

Drewltr450
04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
flat edge the cylinder and head. If its warped at all ( most likely due to lack of coolent) you will need to get the head or cylinder milled or get a new one to make sure the surfaces are flat.

purelife 300
05-05-2011, 10:54 PM
i no on the old z400 the water pump gasket would go and you would have this problem if you changed the head gasket twice i would look into the water pump i bet that be ur problem