PDA

View Full Version : Will fuel prices alter your riding habits?

YOURADHERE
04-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Me...Absofugginlutely. Unfortunately Im the only person in my riding group with a vehicle and trailers that can haul our whole group to avoid taking multiple vehicles/trailers. During the Spring/Summer/Fall we'd usually make 1-2 group rides to the local sand dunes or other places. That trip that usually takes about $60-$80 worth of fuel now takes $100-120 minimum. Thats just for the truck, not counting fuel for bikes, gate fees, food and drinks, and if we stay overnight, campsite fees. In the past I haven't been very anal about getting people to chip in for fuel, if some would that was cool, if not it was no big deal. Now, if you're not chipping in atleast $20-30 your ***** is staying home.

Last month we went ride an one of my brother's friends came. He was aware that he had to chip in for fuel but had a smartass attitude and chipped in a whole $9. That's cool, Im not asking for much but he will no longer be included in our riding group. Let him make the trip on his own and he'll realize that $20-30 Im asking for is small compared to his cost to go alone. Just this past weekend we went to the Louisiana Mudfest. Before I even left the house I had already spent $250 just on fuel, $150 for the truck and another $100 for the generator and fuel for the bike.

We even postponed our annual Little Sahara trip due to high cost. A trip that usually cost $200 per person at most will now cost $400-500 per person easily. Its rather depressing as I was really looking forward to the trip. Its not that we can't afford it, just that it's not worth it.

Anyone else in a similar predicament?

quad2xtreme
04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
tons of people in your predicament. My wife and I travel quite a bit to ride at various spots on the East Coast and can definitely see the impact of the economy. Even when you do have the money...at a point you do say is the cost worth it? Not riding per se but I know we won't travel to Atlanta for another Supercross. All-in-all, we dropped about $1,000 for the two of us to attend and spend the weekend in Atlanta. Quite frankly, I'd rather watch one on TV and hear the commentators providing all the other tidbits of info.

CJM
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
I make people pay for my gas for the quad, truck or food when we go if I take them. One day of riding wastes 3 gallons of gas in the truck and 2 gallon in the quad-thats 20 bucks or better right there and we only drive about 15 miles to get there.

kbnorth99
04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Not yet... But if they continue this way our everyday fuel usage may start to pinch the budget tight enough that I will have less money to spend on riding. Right now the $3200 in vet bills over the last 4 weeks is putting a real serious crap in my riding budget.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm in the same boat. I used to go every or every other weekend, now it's really not even worth it. I love riding, but it just costs too much. I can drive to a local skatepark and pedal my *** all day for 10 bucks including a drink. Lol

slightlybent47
04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
I only ride on race weekends anymore, but the lack of a good job is the main reason.
With so many people cutting back I wonder how long the tracks can hold on and stay open. Viscous cycle for sure!

jake55
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
you paid for the quads, you paid for the truck, you paid for the trailer, you paid for the quad upgrades, you paid for the tools, you paid for the riding gear, shut up and fill the tank and go riding!!!!!!! sure it sucks, but it's the cheapest part of the sport!! if you cant afford to get there, it's time to sell out!

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-20-2011, 11:52 AM
When you make $220 a week and it's costs $150 to take one trip that's not cheap.

CJM
04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Sounds like someone doesnt pay for thier gas....

jake55
04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sounds like someone doesnt pay for thier gas....

yes sir, i do pay for my own gas. i'm 41 years old and have not had mommy or daddy pay my gas bill for over 22 years now. fuel prices suck, but as i said, it is the cheapest part of the game we play. if you cant afford to haul it, you should not have bought it!!

YOURADHERE
04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jake55
yes sir, i do pay for my own gas. i'm 41 years old and have not had mommy or daddy pay my gas bill for over 22 years now. fuel prices suck, but as i said, it is the cheapest part of the game we play. if you cant afford to haul it, you should not have bought it!!

Oh I definately can afford it, and this is not a thread about whether you can afford to get to your riding destinations. Moreso about whether you'll be forced to cut back like myself. I won't stop riding, I'll just have to ride at home or locally as opposed to hauling often to other destinations.

CJM
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
Oh I definately can afford it, and this is not a thread about whether you can afford to get to your riding destinations. Moreso about whether you'll be forced to cut back like myself. I won't stop riding, I'll just have to ride at home or locally as opposed to hauling often to other destinations.

Agreed. Its not so much I cant afford it (Oh wait I really cant to a degree b/c lost my job and cant find one..really) but if your gonna cut back.

I dont mind driving everyone since we all chip in, but I refuse to drive a long distance b/c of the mpg my vehicle gets-wanted to go to the coal mines, unless everyone chips in its not happening.

Ruby Soho
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
fuel prices cut back on everything i do. i usually ride in town though so not so much riding.

chucked
04-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok, I still dont really get it... I have a $25,000 truck, a $4500 trailer, a $7000 quad, a $900 generator, plus a few thousand in other misc things I take along when I go on a riding trip for the weekend. It will cost me about $120 in gas to drive 300 miles (150 miles one way). As opposed to gas not being expensive it would cost what, $75?? Whats $50? even if I went twice as far, whats $100??? It would be different if I drove VERY far A LOT more often. But I can still easily afford to go every few weeks.

slightlybent47
04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Ok, I still dont really get it... I have a $25,000 truck, a $4500 trailer, a $7000 quad, a $900 generator, plus a few thousand in other misc things I take along when I go on a riding trip for the weekend. It will cost me about $120 in gas to drive 300 miles (150 miles one way). As opposed to gas not being expensive it would cost what, $75?? Whats $50? even if I went twice as far, whats $100??? It would be different if I drove VERY far A LOT more often. But I can still easily afford to go every few weeks.

Your missing the point, yes I do have a lot of money tied up in everything for riding and racing, and yes it’s all paid for. But I can cut back on riding to save money while times are hard and pick back up when things get better. If you want to spend your money riding that’s fine and it sounds like you’re not in the same situation as everyone else. Trust me when it comes between paying bills and taking care of the family that comes first and if you were in the same boat you would do the same.
It’s not just fuel cost but everything has gone up in a big way so it all hurts the riding.
Obviously you have never had to decide between food and going riding.
I hope you never do, it sucks!

IdahoMX
04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I will ride still, Just more choosy on the days I go

trailrider894
04-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jake55

A Typical School of Trollism Graduate....

I pay for everything myself also, On top of that I am a FULL TIME college student paying things like Rent, Medical Bills, Car Insurance, Gas, Classes, Books, Food, etc... When it cost's $50 to go riding somewhere, i cringe.... Because its just almost not worth it. Its tuff to justify pullling my trailer all the way to a un-scouted MX track and have it turn out to be rubbish they like all have been in the recent months.

C. Lindsey #18
04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
fuel prices cut back on everything i do. i usually ride in town though so not so much riding.

Put $20.00 In Truck Tonight That 20 Bucks Got Me 5.4xx Gallons Bull***** what that is,...how is suawdiah arabia (What ever the hek it is) have 9 Cents a gallon? Really all they do is ride camels and bikes everywhere come on now,..United We Stand Divided We Fall More Like, Broke We Stand Bankrupsty We Fell

Honda4LifeWes36
04-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Filled up the 400 the other day. $10 :(
Filled up the Blaster the other day. $9 :(
Filled up the truck the other day. $70 :(
Filled up the moped the other day. $3.50 :)

MX MaNiAc 06
04-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Eh probly not. Tracks are close and i only go every other week at the most. But i do agree it SUCKS!!!

slightlybent47
04-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Honda4LifeWes36
Filled up the 400 the other day. $10 :(
Filled up the Blaster the other day. $9 :(
Filled up the truck the other day. $70 :(
Filled up the moped the other day. $3.50 :)

Ha! Ha!
Mopeds are like fat girls, they are fun to ride but you never want anyone see you do it! lol

YOURADHERE
04-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Ha! Ha!
Mopeds are like fat girls, they are fun to ride but you never want anyone see you do it! lol

Im the kind of guy that couldn't give a damn what people think of my image. When weather permitting I take my Harley to work and get about 45 mpg with it. You can give me a moped and can paint it pink, if it gets about 80mpg I'll ride it.

In all seriousness with fuel prices on the rise Im seeing bikes an mopeds everywhere around here. On my commute to work and back I used to see 1-2 bikes, now I'll see atleast 10-15 per day.

Ruby Soho
04-24-2011, 01:30 PM
i want to pick up a scooter so bad for this summer. peoples opinions are the last thign on my mind.

450rJam
04-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Be cool to see how much others spend for an offroad trip.....

My wife and I plus our 4 kids, 5+ hrs. to dunes pulling enclosed trailer with toys, gear, food, wood etc.
(my wife and I both work full time and have to save for each trip)

average for a 4 day/5 night dune trip for us

$400 truck fuel
$300 toy fuel
$100 camp fee's
$240 gate fee's
$400 food
$300 misc.
---------------
$1740

misc.= road tolls, tee shirts, stickers, gloves, goggles, flag springs, levers etc.

I usually plan on 2k and hope I have left overs but always seems to be a pipe or bars or paddles or something someone needs

4 times per year and dont plan on cutting any of them out

nothing better than hanging with family and friends

unless fuel prices top $10 per gallon I'm playing

Honda4LifeWes36
04-24-2011, 05:29 PM
HAHA yeah I got pulled over the other day and the cop told me to put a flag on er. So I put a checkered flag on er and everyone looks at me funny.

But yeah 80 mpg works for me. I picked it up for 50 bucks and now I see them on CL for 500! Bout like Nissan pickups.

Most people sell them for next to nothing because they think there shot but in most cases, a good carb clean and your on the road.

If your interested, go for it. We can bring the economy back this way!!

bens250ex
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
im parkin the truck and gettin a car..hopefully it will be a smart move :ermm:

Thumpin440ex
04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Bottom line is the price of GAS is BS.. I am sure it impacts people differently.. Some can do it, some can not.. I surely wont be out on my boat as much this year, and riding, going to the drag strip, to run the truck, thats for damn sure..

John

slightlybent47
04-24-2011, 11:30 PM
My 06 KLX 250 duel sport gets 70+ mpg and runs great and is way more fun then a moped!lol
But hey, I’ve been known to ride a moped a time or two. And a few fat girls as well! http://planetsmilies.net/obscene-smiley-1043.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

lasher45
04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I'd be happy with a scooter or bike for this summer as well. Gas prices are way to high and are just going up. I don't see them coming down anytime soon.

ben300
04-25-2011, 12:33 PM
the gas prices havent reallly affected my riding cause i ride on trails around the house once maybe twice a week and its been so damn rainy/muddly lately, i just dotn feel like going out riding...

now trips...ti doesnt affect me to much, becuase when we go, everyone splits fuel costs, but, if prices keep on going up, i may only go on one weekend ride a month this summer, its hard to say.

...if prices get to high, ill just stay home and shoot my target and 3d compound bows and train extra during the day for 5k races....im perfectly happy doing those activites.