PDA

View Full Version : Pump gas

C-LEIGH RACING
04-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Guys, those of you using pump gas, you realy need to read the labels on the pumps to see how much ethanol is in the gas.

EPA has just released the use of E15 fuel, that is 15% added ethanol into the pump gas you can buy.

I think most of you know this added ethanol in the pump gas is bad for small engines, shucks its even bad for big engines unless the engine has been designed to use the ethanol laced fuel.

I'm going to be real blunt, it is death to our 2 stroke engines & can cause all sorts or problems.

Any of you that have tryed methanol fuel, have set your engine up to use it, know all the problems you have to deal with running that, so now think what it would be like just using the E10 or E15 gas & not thinking you had to do anything different to your engines.

Death to our beloved 2 strokes guys, that we have spent so much time & money on, so while you die hard pump gas users are out riding around, check out the gas stations to see who still has ethanol free gas for sale.

This is no joke & I do mean to tell you this to shock into understand the importance of this issue.
Neil

danhung11
04-20-2011, 07:39 AM
There's nothing better smelling than VP110 and some nice castor based oil. :blah:

It's worth the heart ache at $7/gallon.

J.B.
04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I cant remember seeing ethanol free gas in a few years. Its all 10% around here. I guess I should not be running this? (93 oct @ 10%) :confused:

troybilt
04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
One thing that is nice with VP, I had a conversation with the distributor for VP fuels and he says the prices don't flucuate like pump prices do... hell if the Syrians sneeze, gas prices climb 15 minutes later 10 cents... ridiculous... anyway, VP buys fuel on long term contracts so as long as oil prices don't rocket past the contracted "ceiling" the price stays the same no matter what happens in the middle east... fyi.

Ruf Racing
04-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Neil is correct. But if you have to run the pump gas, buy from a very busy station. Don't store, more than you're going to use in a couple of weeks. Fresh, Fresh, Fresh gas.

J.B.
04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
VP110 eh? Might have to try it out.

danhung11
04-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by J.B.
VP110 eh? Might have to try it out.

That's what I run, I'd buy a cologne that smells like burnt VP110 and Klotz Benol if they made one. :cool:

hartwill
04-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
That's what I run, I'd buy a cologne that smells like burnt VP110 and Klotz Benol if they made one. :cool: X2:D I can't think of any smell I like better. Except money that's another good smell.

J.B.
04-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Local shop just told me $70 for a five gallon. My butthole felt the slightest pain when he said that.

danhung11
04-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Local shop just told me $70 for a five gallon. My butthole felt the slightest pain when he said that.

Thank God I live in the same town as the VP Heartland Distributor. That's insane to think they make 100% profit off that crap. Robbery!

J.B.
04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
He said it was c-12. Dont know if that costs more or not. :confused:

danhung11
04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
He said it was c-12. Dont know if that costs more or not. :confused:

Yes, C12 does cost more. Just go with the VP110.

wilkin250r
04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
VP C-12 is significantly more expensive, like 50% more.

Both of my local shops run the same system, VP110 by the gallon (so bring in your own gas can), and also a variety of other fuels in 5-gallon pails, with C-12 being the most common. For 5 gallons, the VP110 was about $42 (a little over $8 per gallon) and the C-12 was about $63 (a little over $12 per gallon).

I've got it a little better here in Nevada. I can't find a non-ethanol gas this close to California, but it's pretty dry out here. One of the biggest problems with ethanol is moisture, it will absorb water out of the air. Here in Nevada, there ain't no water to absorb.

troybilt
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I just priced it out last week (Thursday):

Manhattan, KS, VP Heartland Distibutor

VP110 = $7/gal
VP "BLUE" = $8.95/gal
VP C-12 = $9.86/gal

He recommended to me to run VP Blue, so that's what I'm going with next time. Its better than VP110 but not as expensive as C-12. The Honda pro teams ran C-12 for anyone interested.

J.B.
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Local honda shop said $65+/- for 5 gallons of VP-110.

The stuff is alot more pricey up here. :eek2:

C-LEIGH RACING
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
The gas I use, is Rocket Fuel 112, 45.00 a 5 gal jug & is made by the same guys did the Unocal 76 110 race gas Nascar used before switching to that Sunoco crap.

Theres a listing on the net that shows stations or gas companys that still have ethanol free pure gas.
I seen the listing on RV.Net, but I dont have a clue how to show it to you guys. Lot of rv owners wondering what to do because their rvs sit for lenghts of time & dont want the ethanol gas sitting doing damage.

Sta-bil
has a fuel stabilizer designed for boat engines because of the moisture in the metal tanks, I use that myself, add a proper amount in the motorhome on every tank fill because it will sit a few days out of the week.
The added part about using the stabilizer, dog if the ol motorhome dont feel like its running better, so thats a plus in my book & any millage over 6 miles to the gallon is a real plus.

The shipping cost is the reason for different prices on VP gas & VP is a gas blender just like all the rest.
Neil

hartwill
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Check this out, 90+hp from a banshee on e85. he says its the cheapest race fuel you can buy. http://www.bigboremotors.com/engine-building.html I think troybuilt posted this on the other site.

265 sleeper
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Ever since I found out about ethanol in gas I tried to stay away from shell 30% chevron 15% then Texaco and mobile have any where from 10% to 15% . The lil bulk station around my house is 100% ethanol FREE . BUT COME SEPTEMBER their suplier is making them change to ethanol base gas this sucks for my stock motor

wilkin250r
04-20-2011, 01:57 PM
http://pure-gas.org

danhung11
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

That's a great site, but where is the source of information coming from? Based on the "add a station" link, anybody could add their site to the list. Who knows, who has updated it. Seems like any Joe Shmoe could do it. Ya know?

wild250rman
04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
One thing that is nice with VP, I had a conversation with the distributor for VP fuels and he says the prices don't flucuate like pump prices do... hell if the Syrians sneeze, gas prices climb 15 minutes later 10 cents... ridiculous... anyway, VP buys fuel on long term contracts so as long as oil prices don't rocket past the contracted "ceiling" the price stays the same no matter what happens in the middle east... fyi.
going to work of a morning and you hear on the radio oil went up 5 dollars a barrel by evening every station goes up 10 to 15 cents. A week later hear the price went down 5 dollars a barrel and you sure don't see the price drop. It is like someone forgot to make that phone call

etccb
04-20-2011, 02:59 PM

That California section was huge.
It is just so out of control here........crazy.

wilkin250r
04-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
That's a great site, but where is the source of information coming from? Based on the "add a station" link, anybody could add their site to the list. Who knows, who has updated it. Seems like any Joe Shmoe could do it. Ya know?

I think you're right, reading on the site I get the impression it was all user-input, probably very little confirmation or double-checking beyond that.

But it gives you a place to start, you can always visit and see if they have any sign or advertisement that they are ethanol-free, and if that fails, then ask.

But I get the point you're making, I certainly wouldn't go an blindly buy gas at some of the stations listed, expecting it to be ethanol-free. I'm going to double-check the information myself at the station.

Grande Huevos
04-20-2011, 04:29 PM
is there some kind of lead addative u can simply add to prevent this??? also from my experience w the vp fuel is when u buy it in the little 5 gal jugs like u would get from a local bike shop or somthing they rip u off because they have to make money on it to so they sky rocket the price to $50 or higher. For those of u around the ks city area there is a little muffle shop off leavenworth rd that u can get 110, c-12,alch, and whatever other fuel u can imagine and he has it for a good price i and the more u buy the better deal he gives u! i was getting it for $6.50 on my weekly visits and if u have the flow and can use it fast enough u can get 55 gal drums of it from him which knocks the price per gal down into the $4 range!!! anybody intrested let me kno and i give u more info

Nac's22
04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
For the guys that have to run pump gas. Is there anything they can do to their motors to reliably run the new type of gas? I'm looking at buying a closer to stock 250r then my race 250r this summer and was hoping to run pump 93 like my 400ex rather then race gas like my 450 and 310.

danhung11
04-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I think you're right, reading on the site I get the impression it was all user-input, probably very little confirmation or double-checking beyond that.

But it gives you a place to start, you can always visit and see if they have any sign or advertisement that they are ethanol-free, and if that fails, then ask.

But I get the point you're making, I certainly wouldn't go an blindly buy gas at some of the stations listed, expecting it to be ethanol-free. I'm going to double-check the information myself at the station.

I did like the part about conducting a field test on the gas yourself. I'm afraid if I showed up with a white jumpsuit and glass jars, they'd ask if I was EPA or some crap. Lol!

86honda250
04-21-2011, 05:49 PM
All this ethinal is going to do for use is drive up food price. This ethinal is a bigger problem then we think.

hartwill
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
I also like the fact that we are paying the same price for 100% gasoline or some of this 35/65 mix, shouldn't ethanol be cheaper just like alcohol is? You know even in your car there's no way you get the same gas mileage with 35% ethanol. Doesn't an engine burn 50% more alcohol than gasoline? Or is comparing ethanol to alcohol not a fair comparison? Regardless I think its just a filler to make more profit for the oil companies..

bigmatt61
04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I lose 25% of my fuel economy on my truck when running e85. The cost is NOT 25% cheaper either!
That stuff sucks!