PDA

View Full Version : need tire advice...mud,snow,trail

Impala400
02-18-2003, 08:22 PM
i am looking to get a set of tires that are good all around, i do trail riding, snow riding and ocasional mud, i am not a racer, i have some holeshots now but they just can't do the job in the snow.

Ex'r Marlin
02-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Well, after reading your riding terrain, my first thought is a 22" rear tire. Are these going to be your "winter" tires, or all season tires? If you ride fast, dusty, hard pack trails in the spring, summer, and fall, I would still recommend the 20" tires. Otherwise, for mud and snow, and trail riding where having higher ground clearance helps, I highly recommend a 22" rear tire.

I wish you were closer by, I would have you try the 22" Holeshot XCT's. I find myself running these tires alot. I find that they "hookup" nicely in the snow and mud, especially compared to my 20" Holeshots.

Note: If you do make a switch from 20" rear tires to 22" rear tires, you may want to try a 14 tooth front sprocket. I had the problem of bogging out up hills with the stock 15 tooth with 22's... But then again, I am a fat butt.:rolleyes:

trailburner
02-18-2003, 08:36 PM
A buddy of mine that I trail ride with has a pair of SPIDER TRAC tires [made by ITP] on the back of his 400ex & I have never seen a tire go through mud & snow like this!!!!!unreal,

02Yellow400
02-18-2003, 11:53 PM
I just recomended them to someone else and I will do it again. I have 20 x 12 x 9 on my 400. There amazing. They are awesome in the snow and sand and great for trails. They last a long time and they come in the 20 inch size so you dont have to worry about the power loss so much. Of course they are heavier then stock but i havent put my 14 tooth sprocket on yet and i have been doing fine. You can still slide and rip them whenever you want but when you want them to bite they do the job. Plus they throw a really nice roost

Impala400
02-19-2003, 05:11 PM
you have any pics of the bike with those tires on them? and what you think og the GBC mudsharks?

02Yellow400
02-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Are you talking about the blackwaters? I will take some pictures and get them on here. Untill then do a seach for them. Make sure you looking at the 20 inches toget an idea what they look like. I will get some pics up soon

steve
02-20-2003, 02:07 PM
i have a set of Super Swampers TSL and they hook up something ferce. I can go some places that the 4x4 don't go. I have 87 stock 250x and it will wheelie in snow and mud like nothing with those tires on there. They are definantly worth it.

killed300ex
02-20-2003, 03:20 PM
spider tracks are awsome in snow cant say anything else cause i just got them and have only riden on snow with them. But dont buy tires from DK casue they rip you off. I think they were lke 650 bucks in dk i got them for 54 from ronnies its cost me 130 to get them shiped that includes the tires
killed