PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cam

dxcody
04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
My 400ex cam doesnt have any of the decompression parts on it.. could this be why its not starting?

CJM
04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
If its a stock cam then yes it needs the parts, if its an aftermarket cam then no.

There are a million reasons why a engine wont start, most of the time its related to air intake, fuel or spark. Figure out which one you dont have before you do anything else usually will help you figure it out.

dxcody
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If its a stock cam then yes it needs the parts, if its an aftermarket cam then no.

There are a million reasons why a engine wont start, most of the time its related to air intake, fuel or spark. Figure out which one you dont have before you do anything else usually will help you figure it out.

Well i bought this quad a few weeks ago and the top end was off of it when i bought it, it had a brand new cylinder for it, i put it all together, turned over a million times, flooded it really bad so that there was gas coming out of my exhaust, has great spark, so i stripped it back down and pulled the head off of it and started looking and no decompression spring and plunger and no docompression parts on the cam. So i am going to buy a gasket kit and i was wondering if it would be better just to buy a used stock cam off of ebay rather than but the decompression parts for mine.

BlasterEaten250
04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Did you set the timing correctly?

dxcody
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
Did you set the timing correctly?

the timing was dead on. the T on the flywheel and the marks on the cam sprocket were at 9 12 3 9 and 3 were parallel with the head

BlasterEaten250
04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Try checking your valve clearences. You might have to open them a little more than stock because chances are you have a more aggressive cam in there. What is your jetting? A larger pilot will help starting...a lot of people have had luck with a 42 pilot jet. Also try making sure your idle screw isn't turned way up. Last thing I'd check right now is your air/fuel mixture screw, and set it back to stock as a start.

CJM
04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Stock cam it wont start without the decomp on it.

Buy the parts or a hotcam and it will fire.