PDA

View Full Version : omg new problem

250rforlife
04-19-2011, 06:27 PM
ok well guess what. my timing chain or tentioner is showing noise of wear. its a not loud but i can hear it start ticking. so i have one question. the valve thats behinde the motor where it has 3 bolts, could i just take out the middle bolt and tighten up the tentioner?? or is that not gana help?

CJM
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
The auto tensioner? Its spring loaded, so no you cant tighten it. You can buy a manual tensioner off ebay (im not a fan) or buy a new one from the dealer/online.

Chances are you also need a new timing chain b/c its stretched and possibly chain guides if they are worn.

In order to do the above the topend must come off. You dont want to skimp on this, if the timing jumps you may ruin your valves and piston worst case-or best case your tensioner fails and it just wont start.

250rforlife
04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
ok well how long can this hold off? i dont have the money and plus its not that bad. just can hear it starting to wear out. btw the chain chain guides are new. so i would need a chain and tentioner. sweet. just replaced my clutch and not too long ago my topend. not this ****. what ever happen to the bullet proof quad i intended on buying.........

sheweezy
04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Have you recently had the tensioner off? When you reinstall you have to make sure to have it screwed all the way in underneath the phillips head bolt to torque the two mounting bolts or you will have tension against the bolts when torque and will not put ample tensioner on the chain

Andrew170-440ex
04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
take it off and the spring loaded device will contract and lock there then make sure it is locked in and then put it on and adjust it....
that should help and if its not that the a 02 crf 450 chain is good

sheweezy
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
when torqued* and tension on the chain* glad i can't talk

CJM
04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Easy way to test it. Remove it, stick a screwdriver in it and turn the screwdriver till it contracts then let it go-it should spring back fairly quick, if not its bad.

And no it cant wait, like I said-if it jumps time your in for alot more money if the piston hits and bends the valves.

Either fix it or dont ride it. It only costs 100 bucks for the tensioner and a crf450 chain (stronger and better than the ex chain and same size-use one from 2002). If you need guides its about 150.

250rforlife
04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
when u guys say "take it off and blah blah" do u mean take out the plunger with the phillips head and bolts? or do you mean the tentioner itself.

BTW!!!! the phillips screw fell out a couple weeks ago. so i replaced it with a bolt and a few washers. could this cause my problem???

CJM
04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes, entire auto tensioner with the 2 bolts and phillips screw.

I dont see the bolt causing an issue either. You can only turn the spring with a small flathead thats quite far into the tensioner.

250rforlife
04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
ok so this is all to just test the tentioner?? or is this a way to improve it??? im pretty mad about this. in the last year iv put almost a grand into this quad.

01boneless
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 250rforlife
ok so this is all to just test the tentioner?? or is this a way to improve it??? im pretty mad about this. in the last year iv put almost a grand into this quad.

theres no way to fix a bad tentioner :( it gets expensive lol thats just how it goes, i just replaced the tentioner,timming chain,gaskets,3broke valve cover bolts and rings lol :) good luck

sheweezy
04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
To test- Remove the entire tensioner, should be two bolts. Remove the phillips head/bolt you used to replace it and look inside. There should be a place to insert a flat head screwdriver. Twist the flat head until the tensioner is bottomed out(until you can't twist anymore). Then release screw driver. If tensioner springs back in to place it is good, if not replace

To install-You need to again twist the flat head area until the tensioner is pulled all the way in. Make sure when putting back in to the cylinder you continue to keep the tensioner screwed all the way in. Next, with tensioner still screwed in, you must install the two mounting bolts and torque bolts, before releasing flat head. Once bolts are torqued, you can release and this will put tension back on your chain.

2001400exrida
04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
not only do the chains stretch but they also do wierd things like bind up.

my tensioner failed and when i replaced the chain it was stiffer than a you know what ;)

the chain would only bend one way and it would not bend the other way at all. i could hold it up sideways and it would stick out without falling like it should.