PDA

View Full Version : big bore advice needed

jwags13
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
So i finally got enough money saved up for a new engine build on my 1986 pro-x 310r. I have narrowed it down to a 330 or 350pv. Does anyone have any set- ups that they really like or any suggestions on what to go with? Any help will be greatly appreciated, i worked long and hard to get this money together and want to spend it wisely. Reliability is my main concern. Just some info, i ride mostly open trails and im gonna race some hair scrambles and cross country and want something thats gonna smoke my friends 450's. Also i already have a 38mm airstryker, ct midrange pipe, boysen rad valve, and ct air box with filter skin. Thanks for the help!!

C-LEIGH RACING
04-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Check around & see if you can find a good used 330 or 350 Pro-x at a good price, either one of those should be good.

On another note, the new ESR cylinders brand new cost less than you can find a used Pro-x.
Some have bought the ESR kits & had no problems at all & then theres others had some problems but got them corrected.

Hard as that money came to you, I would be sure of what I was getting before I paid for it.
Neil

jwags13
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Anyone out there running the ct 350pv? If so what carb, pipe, and intake you running with it? Any reliability issues( hard starting, transmission, running, etc)? Not trying to get people to bash shops, just looking for info to help make a hard decision. Thanks!!

sand_blaster
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Give LED a try? Hes worked on 250rs forever.

C-LEIGH RACING
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Have a friend has an 88R with CT 350PV, mater of fact I listed it for sale on here few months back.
That fool is a bad boy. Started out a CT ported jug & then Atomic Racing ported it again for like upper end.
Carb is a 45mm Keihin came from who knows what & has the ol Rotax PV valve.
Neil

jwags13
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
C-LEIGH RACING u have a pm.

Grande Huevos
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
pretty sure u have to get ur cases trenched to except the 350. might b somthing els to think about. i dont think u will b dissapointed w either motor both produce some wicked power if built right! i just got a new esr 330 because of the cheaper pricing and i love it! u could also have somone els port it to get little extra edge on the comp because 90% of shops or race teams will not port to the fullest of capabilty because then anybody could buy one of there motors and compete against them ya kno? shop around ask lots of questions

bearbear
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been very happy with my CT350PV for about 5 years now. It has a 39PWK, CT PV pipe, VF 3's, and it seems like it pumps around 200 psi with current dome. It's set up for trails & all around riding so I'm happy with 50/50 race/premium mix-can't always get the good stuff out on the trail so I fill with 110 in the morning and top it off with premium later. It came from CT with their MX port. Power delivery was very linear from idle to redline-never any surprises but always pulls hard. Had Machwon fine tune the porting a little last summer for a little "more". Now there's a little (and I do mean little) lag on the bottom and a little more rev on top but the power delivery is still linear. Just for fun I tried my LRD pipe on it last fall. Honestly, my butt dyno couldn't tell any big difference between th PV pipe, the LRD set for max bottom or max top end either. Gonna switch back and put LRD back on stock cylinder machine (the adjustments there are very noticeable.) In the end does it blow 450's away? No, but it runs easily with them and usually a little better plus even a piped YFZ motor just feels "lazy" to me now and I haven't unleashed my secret weapon on 'em yet--the CR250 ignition I got for Christmas. Hope this helps.

jwags13
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes, it helps for sure. Thank you! Do you know what size dome your running in your head? Any reliability issues or bottom end issues?

pope59
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a Ct 350pv with the old rotex pv and i love it, I did have the second gear brake on me last year but Dennis Packard fixed it for a good price and he went threw the bottom end as well. but i had it reported by K&T to have more top end and i love it the power is great from bottom to top pulls hard all the way threw the power band. i can run with a hand full of banshees and most four pokes as a 270lbs rider and when some one else light jumps on my bike its fast

here are my mods
trx 11 pipe
40.5 carb
vforce 3 reeds
K&N
01 cr ignition
i have a 41.3 lectron that Packard set up that i will run this summer

bearbear
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
So far ZERO reliability issues although I don't get to put as many hours on it as I'd like. Bottom end and crank were gone through when it was new and hasn't been touched since, maybe after this season we'll have a look at it. I run Lucas oil at about 36:1. Top end on annual basis if for no other reason just to make sure nothing bad is goin' on. Still even has the same clutch plates-I'm not much of a clutch slipper and besides with this torque you really don't need to, you just gas it. No idea what cc dome is in it now but my high compression/high altitude dome has 780226 stamped on it. Gotta wear boots to start it with that for sure. I'm sure Allen or whoever builds your motor will steer you in the right direction on that. If you have more ?'s or wanna chat PM me and I'll get you my phone number. Happy trails.