PDA

View Full Version : Can you still buy Douglas Shamrocks?

troybilt
04-19-2011, 07:21 AM
I couldn't find them anywhere, didn't know if they were discontinued.

SilverLake250R
04-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Not sure on buying new ones, but if you wanted to go for the black look you could always powdercoat used ones... I did it this winter and I got this entire set of rims/tires for about $520 including shipping and powdercoating. I think about $320 was in the rims... not bad if you ask me, and I think they look real good!

...sorry for the crappy cell phone pic...

troybilt
04-19-2011, 07:42 AM
I think that is exactly what I want to do. I had every intention of running hipers but after I got a set with my other bike I wasn't real impressed with them, keep in mind they are older Hipers not new. I've always like the shamrock wheels, been my favorite for years.

SilverLake250R
04-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Yeah, and to be honest, they look like hipers at first glance ;)

J.B.
04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
There is a set of 8x8 3+5 Shamrocks on Ebay new.

snacob14
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
I ran shamrocks for many years and never even replaced the bead rings. I have personally seen 8 wheels brake this season alone with these hipers. I just took mine apart after having them on for maybe two rides and pretty much stripped out three bolts because of dirt and corrosion getting into the bolt holes. I'm buying some shamrocks as soon as I find a good set.

Jonny B
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Hipers are heavy...

danhung11
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Contact Colby at C&D Racing, I think he had a set of 8", new.

troybilt
04-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Shamrocks, hold that thought. I've got another plan. That we'll see if it comes to fruitition... Shhhhh!! :eek2:

JM317
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I've got a full set of polished honda pattern shamrocks, great shape and the rings only have one race on them. The fronts are 10" 4+1 and the rears are 9" 3+5 offset. Wonder what they're worth?

skyeryder
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Troy, my son is sponsored by them and from looking at the catalog they sent us they are now called DWT G2 Series they look like they are a black inner and silver ring and they have the ROK Series, not for sure if that helps

troybilt
04-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks, I was wondering if the G2's were similar... I haven't been up close to a set to tell... That's what you get in the "champion in a box" correct?

D Bergstrom
04-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Troy,

The Shamrocks are no longer made, for that matter DWT doesn't make any polished beadlock wheels anymore. The new beadlocks are the Rok n lok fronts and G2 rears. Yes, that is what you get in the Champion in a Box sets, but you have a few options. Front non beadlocks, front beadlocks, rear single beadlocks, and rear dual beadlocks. If you really want some Shamrocks, you might try calling DWT directly, they might still have some around.

The new beadlocks are awesome wheels, I have been running them for about two years. Only bent one in that time, and that was because I cartwheeled the quad in fifth gear pinned. Wheel just had a flat spot though, still a useable wheel. Can't say I have one complaint about them.

Doug

danhung11
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Anyone have a picture of these "Champion in Box" wheels mounted? Do the fronts have rolled lips?

Sorry to hijack Troy...been lurking on this tread ever since I replied. :D

Thanks!
Dan

D Bergstrom
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
The fronts are offered in a rolled lip wheel, the are called the Rokout. I don't think they make the rears in just a rolled lip on both sides, either dual beadlock or outside beadlock/inside rolled lip. Here is a pic of beadlocks all around on my 250R.

D Bergstrom
04-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry, pic didn't attach, here it is.

Doug

danhung11
04-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the pic Doug, nice bike. I love the Baja look. Where's the best pricing on a rear set? looking for another set of 8" single beadlock.

Dan

troybilt
04-21-2011, 06:40 AM
For the money, I don't think you can beat those wheels. I just love the looks of the Shamrocks... but I might just go this direction. I was all set on going with Hipers, but I just got a set with the bike I bought.

D Bergstrom
04-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Dan,

Not sure where the best price is. Been a DWT sponsored rider for a few years, so I have to buy all my wheels directly from them. Have never really looked to see what shops have the best prices on them.

Doug

hontrx265r
04-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Dwt hasn't made them for a whiile which you guys are all seeing. The g2 is almost the same look wise, but uses a cast center rather then a billet one. When I spoke with them about it they said the shamrocks were just so expensive that nobody was buying them. G2 is a good cost effective alternative.

250Renvy
04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
So you peaked my curiousity on these D2 rims and after looking for sellers online, found they are relatively similar priced to the best price on Hipers.

I am mixed on hipers because everybody says how heavy they are, but does anybody have an idea on weight difference between shamrocks or D2's vs hipers? Is is significant?

BTW Dan or Troy - whoever was looking for the 8" rears, there is a set on ebay for $299 that are new.

hontrx265r
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure of weight but I guarantee the shamrock is the strongest.

danhung11
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
I'm not sure of weight but I guarantee the shamrock is the strongest.

More so than Hipers? I personally like the fact I can order any piece of the Hiper wheel seperately. If you have a contact, Hipers are very reasonably priced. Also, the scuffs/scrapes on an aluminum wheel really take away from the effect of the polished look. Whereas I can simply replace a ring, and they look new again. Not to mention, the dual bolt patter on Tech 3's is brilliant!

J.B.
04-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
BTW Dan or Troy - whoever was looking for the 8" rears, there is a set on ebay for $299 that are new.

I mentioned this a page ago. Seller lists 2 sets actually.

troybilt
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
More so than Hipers? I personally like the fact I can order any piece of the Hiper wheel seperately. If you have a contact, Hipers are very reasonably priced. Also, the scuffs/scrapes on an aluminum wheel really take away from the effect of the polished look. Whereas I can simply replace a ring, and they look new again. Not to mention, the dual bolt patter on Tech 3's is brilliant!

Personally, I think hipers look crappy when they get scuffed too... still one of my favorite wheels, if not my favorite, but I wasn't overly impressed with the tech 3's I have on the Arens... I think with new rings they'd look much much better though... Your's look sweet, cause they are brand new. I also like the fact that Hiper is 1.5hrs from here in Lawrence, KS....

troybilt
04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Let me throw one more into the mix...

What do you all think of the OMF 3pc beadlocks? as a 3rd option... for the money sounds like the G2's are the way to go... but just keeping the discussion going...

danhung11
04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
My 2nd choice is the Shamrocks, really like what hontrx265r did with his gold set. That CRF just looks sweet. Wanna buy a full set of brand new tech 3's? :p

I also liked the ones D Bergstrom has... I guess you could be economical and order a set of rings for those Hipers and new hardware. Im not sure if you know what economical means, me too. Ha!

troybilt
04-21-2011, 04:45 PM
You'd be crazy to get rid of those Tech 3's they are sick! Those are going to look killer with your flat black stuff... I've always like the Shamrocks too, from back in the day...

trx250racer
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Let me throw one more into the mix...

What do you all think of the OMF 3pc beadlocks? as a 3rd option... for the money sounds like the G2's are the way to go... but just keeping the discussion going...

OMF billet 3pc wheels have got to be the nicest atv wheels at the moment!!! those scalloped rings look sick!!

i will be running shamrocks on both of the builds that i am starting next month. one set powdercoated and one set polished, but believe me if i could afford the OMF wheels, that would be my first choice.

1. OMF 3pc billets
2. DWT Shamrock beadlocks
3. DWT billet center beadlocks

red88r
04-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I like the look of Hipers but for overall durability I think a set of aluminum wheels is hard to beat. My brother lost a big race one year at Red Bud because his front Hiper rim exploded on him when he landed off a jump. And it wasn't like he come up short or anything. He is a very smooth rider. I guess we have never had a aluminum wheel bend or break that it prevented us from finishing a race.

I also still like the old school shamrocks.

hontrx265r
04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
I didn't think about the omf's and I have to say they do look stout. Still going to lean towards the shamrock, I do think they are stronger then a hiper, I've broken two hipers. Not saying they havent stood behind them. However they have ruined a weekend. I can bend an aluminum wheel, and ride out. I haven't bent a shamrock yet.

socal
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Another pic of the Champion in a box wheelset I had on my former YFZ,rolled lip fronts.The inner part of the wheel has a similar cut to the shamrock,just not as much.I like those wheels.I put Hipers on my current R build and am not real happy with the color of the red rings against my red fender,almost orange! I have a set of the older OMFs,I may freshen those up and sell the Hipers?I am a huge Shamrock fan as well.

mx Eli
04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Kind of off subject but troy I talked to seth from sf racing the other day and man your pb1"s for the leager are looking sweeeet

4WHLr
04-24-2011, 08:12 PM
How did the DW ultimate billet center rims compare to the shamrock's? Just a little heavier maybe? I still have a set of em, but never saw many others around.

troybilt
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
Kind of off subject but troy I talked to seth from sf racing the other day and man your pb1"s for the leager are looking sweeeet

Thanks! Yes they turned out great!! Love them... spent more than I planned, but they are awesome setups.

jrspawn
04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Shamrocks are the baddest wheel ever made!!! Can beat the looks and durability!

Hipers on the other hand, i dont really have anything good to say about them personally. Between numerous broken wheels, thread issues, and leaks.... i cant stand them. Not to mention they cost me a complete national weekend years back. Nothing like driving 18hrs each way and getting DNF's due to busted wheels. Sorry if i sound a little sour about them :grr:

hartwill
04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey troybuilt I sent you a pm..

troybilt
04-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
Hey troybuilt I sent you a pm..

hartwill, can you post some pics of those or send to me via email? My PM box is filling up fast and not sure if I got your message or not.

hartwill
04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Give me your email or text me would be better I'm not sure if my pms work.(440)453-6359

hartwill
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey troybilt I was browsing through 2010 jlatv catalog and they have new shamrocks listed for sale. Maybe you can get lucky and they have some left over... thought id let ya know...

troybilt
05-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, I might give them a call... Been waiting to get most of my parts sold so I have some fundage... :) Also been toying with OMF's too... Any idea where you can buy those? Are they sold directly from OMF?

hartwill
05-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I just saw a really nice set on eBay.. ill see if I can't find it. They had blue rings though..

stever250r
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Troy, I have been eyeballing OMF for my build as well... As far as I can tell, you just call and order directly from them. .. I've been meaning to call them and get a price quote. I cant find prices listed anywhere either...

troybilt
05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks!!

Yea Steve if you call them let me know what you find out.

D Bergstrom
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Also been toying with OMF's too... Any idea where you can buy those? Are they sold directly from OMF?

Troy,

Yes, just call OMF direct and order from them, talk to Bones, awesome guy to work with. OMF pretty much uses a Douglas red label and modifies from there.

I had four extra red labels laying around for the rear of my 700XX so I sent them in a few months ago. Had them add beadlocks, inner reinforcing rings, and powder coat. They are awesome wheels, had to spend a little bit, but they look great. They can do pretty much what ever you want, just need to ask.

Doug

Fear250r
05-12-2011, 06:49 AM
I almost went with OMF's when I rebuilt my bike. I got a price through them. I think it was around 800, or close to that.

hartwill
05-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I talked with jlatv today and they still have the shamrock rears in stock but not many.. I know there's a set of fronts on eBay brand new for $300..

dtek01
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM
I have a like new billet Shamrock polished set I may trade for some hipers with red rings in equal shape.

They are 10" 4+1 front and 10" rear.

socal
05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dtek01
I have a like new billet Shamrock polished set I may trade for some hipers with red rings in equal shape.

They are 10" 4+1 front and 10" rear. Are you SURE they are 10" rears?That seems uncommon.If they wer 8s I may have been interrested in this trade!I see you are in Murrietta,im in the Long beach area,45 minutes away,we could meet half way!See my MX build thread for pics of the Hipers!

J.B.
05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
There is a set of 8's and a set of 10s on ebay. all rears.

dtek01
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Yep.. definitely 10" I have a set of like new Holeshot HD on them right now that I am possibly getting rid of as well.

Yes...too bad you are close and these are in great shape.

I'm just always changing things up.

I will post up a pic.

dtek01
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Here is a pic. Broke the engine ..reason for the towel and my post needing center cases:)

dtek01
05-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Another one. Kinda dark pic though.

socal
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
That looks almost like my R .Too bad 10s in the back are a bad idea for MX...Maybe I can trade someone for 8s...:devil:

trx250racer
05-12-2011, 02:37 PM
hey socal, i would be interested in the 10" rears if you end up trading with him.. just got to find you some 8s now.

socal
05-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Let me know!

troybilt
05-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Update picked up some sick Hiper Tech 3 dual beadlocks brand new, 8" from Jay at FW Carbon. Got a smokin deal on them I couldn't refuse. Going to order a set of Hiper tech 3 single beadlock fronts 4:1 offset to match...