PDA

View Full Version : HELP! what could be the problem.

mod_driver43
04-19-2011, 06:13 AM
I have a honda 250 ex. It was running great for about a month and I let a friend ride it and next morning I did about 2 donuts then it died and it tried to start back up ran for about 4 seconds and stopped. Havent been able to get it started since.

i havent had time to look it over to see if anything came loose. but wanting to see if anyone could point me in the right direction on where to start looking for the problem.

thanks in advance.

MRJACK9
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Will it crank over?

mod_driver43
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
it acts like it wants to start on a full battery.

MRJACK9
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Using safe technics, remove gas line from carb. Turn gas on and see how good a flow you are getting. If gas flow good continue. If not remove gas selector valve and check fuel filter which is on it, inside the tank. If filter good, check or replace selector valve. The seals inside the selector valve are not fully compatable with modern gas blends.

Measure the battery terminal voltage while cranking, it should be above 10 VDC. If not replace battery and or clean terminals.

Still not running, remove and clean carb. and its jets.

mod_driver43
04-19-2011, 01:29 PM
thanks, i will try those things out and let you know, if one or if it was all of them.

MRJACK9
04-19-2011, 05:00 PM
If you stand back and look at it, you will see that there is at best about 1 foot of head for gravity flow to the carb. So not much dirt will restrict the flow of fuel. Chances are its your selector valve and/or carb.
I have a 2002, it will start with battery voltage above 9.8 VDC at the terminal, but refuse to start at 9.7 VDC.

Keep in contact.

mod_driver43
04-22-2011, 08:11 AM
will keep you updated. going to try and work on it this weekend. let you know results monday

mod_driver43
04-22-2011, 08:11 AM
will keep you updated. going to try and work on it this weekend. let you know results monday

700xxmaniac
04-24-2011, 03:09 PM
water in ur gas. thats wheat happen to me

mod_driver43
04-25-2011, 05:53 AM
i only got to work on quad a little bit. havent done the gas part yet. took battery out to charge and battery wont charge. had it on charger for 2 days, nothing. getting one today. see if that is problem first. then go from there.

MRJACK9
04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Just in case you haven't heard.

1. Do not charge your battery using a charger rated more than
1 1/2 amp

2. Never jump start from any source other than another ATV. Never from a car or truck.

mod_driver43
04-26-2011, 08:04 AM
thanks MRJACK9. i didnt know that. i had it on a 2 amp charger. but it didnt even charge.
ok so will the maintainer/charger from walmart work as a charger or not.
if not were can i find a 1.5 amp charger.

oh, and havent put new battery on charge yet. dont want to ruin this one out of the box.

thanks

MRJACK9
04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Just in case you did not know,
1. Never charge an ATV battery with a charger rated for more than 1 1/2 Amp output.

2. Never jump start your ATV ferom any source larger than an ATV battery.

MRJACK9
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry my first post did not showup on my end so it got repeated.

It is really a problem of the larger capacity chargers having to high an output and boiling the smaller battery dry. I don't think your 2 amp will cause a problem, if you monitor the charge cycle closely. And maybe minimize the lenght of time you charge it.

A new battery from Walmart should be ready for use when you buy it. Maybe you may have to let it sit over night to stabilize before trying to crank it over.

I purchased my "float type" charger on EBay, even so I disconnect it after a day or so. I do not leave it on permanetly to avoid boil down.

mod_driver43
04-29-2011, 06:00 AM
ok, so had a little time to work on the quad. got battery in and ready to go. checked to make sure everything is ready to start.
the quad doesnt even want to hardly crank over. like there is not enough juice to get it started. it seems to me like there is hardly any spark. i took out the spark plug and held it against the head and it does spark but not a whole lot.
i took the spark plug out first and it looked terrible. cleaned it and now i took it out and it is wet, like not sparking.
i almost had it to fire, but it runs the battery down and i have to recharge the battery before i try it or anything again.

is the problem electrical?

what i first posted about why it wont start, is that is what the guy told me before i bought it from him. i couldnt pass up the deal at $250 for a quad in really good shape. i thought i can get this thing running again.
the quad turns over like it is really hard, but it is not seized, because it has a crap load of compression.

even when taking out the spark plug it is hard to crank over. i did find a little bit of oil in bottom of air box, but not a lot.

any help is considered.

thanks