PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my first 250R

eazyrider111
04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Here is a pic of my 1986 250R. Got alot of work a head of me but when Im done she will shine.

socal
04-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Looks good!Give us some details.Stock motor?What are your plans for it?Type of riding?Welcome!!!

eazyrider111
04-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Bone stock motor I was suprised. The owner said he didnt think the motor had ever been rebuilt. I guess the original owner had the bike sitting for 10 years before the guy I bought it from picked it up. I check the frame and it is super clean. has some aftermarket parts FMF expansion chamber and power core silencer, 400EX front shocks, and the rear is stock never been rebuilt either. It has an axle from another bike though not sure what it is but I plan to put the stock one back on.

eazyrider111
04-19-2011, 01:00 AM
I plan to do mostly trail riding and from what I was told first thing I need to do, other than maintenance, is change the tires go with something a bit shorter? what do you recomend? I may do a little bit of dune riding as well. I plan to strip it down and just go through it and make it as clean as possible. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the reply

socal
04-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Depending on the trails(what part of Ca. are you from?),if its alot of desert,those tires are perfect!To me and alot of others here the most important upgrades you can do,also the most expensive is suspension. Being in Ca. you should also think about extra width,you have a aftermarket axle,how wide is the rear?Careful,dont spend too much $$$...

eazyrider111
04-19-2011, 01:16 AM
I live in the central coast between san luis obispo and Ventura losts of hard pack and clay. I go to Balanger canyon and Gorman alot. but most of my riding will be at home. I guess the axle is +1 but I will have to messure it out. I think its of a 400EX but not sure the guy said he put it on because it was black. Im a little worried because I can see the splines on one end? Not sure thats how its suposed to be?!? What do you suggest as far as suspension and axle?

etccb
04-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Post up some photos of the axle and axle instalation and you will get some advise. Go wider if you can as socal posted.

eazyrider111
04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the advice I will take pics and post. What do you think of durablue? what axle do you prefer?

socal
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Durablue is what I am running,it is a +2 so it is 4 inches overall.As for suspension,a +3+1 foreward a-arm setup is idea.Thats +3 wider +1 foreward per side.+2+1 is also good.The idea setup is to be 48-50 inches wide up front,+2s would put you around 46-48 depending on wheel offset.Another factor to consider is going with a long travel setup versus standard travel.Long travel is the much better setup weather its trails,track or sand,Period.The downfall is cost!Go on ebay and type in "250r long travel" and you will see what im talking about when it comes to cost.Even if you went with standard travel,with the extra width and aftermarket shocks,you will transform your R into a totally different machine!!!My advice would be to buy used,I did!Keep an eye on the classified section and fleabay...

socal
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Looking at your photo again,looks like you have the front wheel reversed for extra width?Bad idea,that screws up the geometry and you will have terrible bump steer/handling.Measure the overall width of the front end,and the rear so we will know if you already have a wider axle!Post em up...Also,I grew up riding in Gorman and those tires will be perfect there!

DnB_racing
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by socal
Looking at your photo again,looks like you have the front wheel reversed for extra width?Bad idea,that screws up the geometry and you will have terrible bump steer/handling.Measure the overall width of the front end,and the rear so we will know if you already have a wider axle!Post em up...Also,I grew up riding in Gorman and those tires will be perfect there! the wheel offset doesn't affect bump steer, I was corrected of this recently, actually in one of your posts socal

Bump steer is the change in toe though suspension travel, wheel offset does not effect that. What you will get is a little more feedback through the bars, since the edge of the wheel is further away from the hub, more leverage can be placed on the spindle

eazyrider111
04-19-2011, 09:11 PM
So should I switch the front wheels back to normal? If I dont what are the consequences of leaving it? I rode the bike today and the front end seemed to want to take off on me. I still need to measure that rear axle and take pics I will post them tomarrow first thing. Also I notice the pipe I have is a FMF fatty anybody have problems with it resting up against the frame? I notice its up against the bolt head that holds the upper A-Arm to the frame. its dented pretty good. any suggestions how to get it away from the frame?

eazyrider111
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
OK just got some picks of the axle. Its 37 inches long. Should the splines be sticking out on the side of the carrier like that? let me know what you guys think thanks.

eazyrider111
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
second pic

DoonRider
04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
the amount of splines showing looks normal

eazyrider111
04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure that it was normal. Im sure the sprocket and chain would show abnormal amounts of wear if it was off. Does anyone have suggestions as far as suspesion goes? I dont want to spend an obsessive amount of money but what would be a good basic set up for mostly trail riding? any suggestions are appreciated.

DoonRider
04-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Front wheels - Is the valve stem on the brake side (inside)? Looks like they were reversed to gain width. I would just flip those wheels back around if the valve stem isn't an issue.
If you were getting new ones they are normally 5" wide with 3" to the inside and 2" out. Two inches to the inside and 3" inches to the outside are available too to make it wider. Yours look to be 4" out.

eazyrider111
04-20-2011, 07:13 PM
No they are on the out side should I flip them around? I dont want to damage anything. Are the valve stems suposed to be on the inside?

socal
04-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Valve stems must be on the outside.Do us all a favor and measure the width of the front and rear(outside of tire to outside of tire!

socal
04-20-2011, 07:30 PM
As for suspension.For the average trail rider,you will be real happy with a standard travel setup.Keep an eye on the classifieds and ebay.There is always standard travel +2,sometimes +3 arms floating around.Also,a used set of Works shocks will do the trick,or PEP,Elka,Axis etc...Those shocks can be rebuilt,the stockers(even the 400ex)cant!Whatever setup you go with will be worlds ahead of the stock ride!

eazyrider111
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I will measure front and back tomarrow thanks for the info. I will have to keep my eyes open for a good deal.

eazyrider111
04-23-2011, 02:06 AM
ok so i measured the front and rear. The front is 47 and the rear is 45. Do you guys think those rims in the front are to wide of an off set?

socal
04-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Yes,offset is too much. Idea MX width is 50",stock width is only around 42" I believe.Your Rs width is o.k,its how you got there!!!That way it should ride squirly!!!...Start off with a rear axle,that will get the rear at 48-49". and think about the front end after that.

eazyrider111
04-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks man. Yeah it handles horrible has like a mind of its own. I think im gonna buy some stock front rims and get rid of those other ones. What is the purpose of having those rims with such an extreme off set?

DoonRider
04-23-2011, 07:19 AM
We used to use rims with a lot of offset back in the day for TT/short track racing. They seemed good for that, but maybe opinion has changed since then.

eazyrider111
04-23-2011, 08:01 AM
that makes sense. Well I dont have any use for them if anyone has a set of stockers they would be willing to trade that would be awsome.

socal
04-23-2011, 10:22 AM
You dont need to buy new wheels.Simply flip the air nozzle inside out,not to be used and drill new holes on the other side of the wheel for the new ones!

eazyrider111
04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
thanks that is a great idea save me some money in the end. so what do you guys think of 450R shocks? are they worth the hassle of getting them revalved for the 250? From what Ive been seeing its about 200 for the shocks and then 350 to get them set up. What do you think?

DnB_racing
04-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by eazyrider111
thanks that is a great idea save me some money in the end. so what do you guys think of 450R shocks? are they worth the hassle of getting them revalved for the 250? From what Ive been seeing its about 200 for the shocks and then 350 to get them set up. What do you think? if you already have the shocks then maybe, but if you going to spend money for the shocks and then pay more to re valve and re sprung... I think you would be better off spending just a little more and get a better shock
I already have the 450 shocks so I Will be sending out to get refitted, but I know next year I will be getting a better set

DoonRider
04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
if you already have the shocks then maybe, but if you going to spend money for the shocks and then pay more to re valve and re sprung... I think you would be better off spending just a little more and get a better shock
I already have the 450 shocks so I Will be sending out to get refitted, but I know next year I will be getting a better set
That was my opinion too, you almost already have to have the 450r shocks or get them for free to make it worthwhile.
I wish they were an exact match because the new take off ones sell cheap on ebay.

eazyrider111
04-23-2011, 07:21 PM
thats kinda what I was thinking well I guess I will just have to buck up and buy some aftermarket shocks. If i buy shocks then I should probobly get some A arms as well. Just got to keep my eyes open on ebay and find a good deal. Thanks for the info guys.

socal
04-23-2011, 09:10 PM
It is an investment,but your first ride out,you will be extremely happy.Like I stated before,some +2 or +3 standard travel will do you just fine.Keep us posted.

eazyrider111
04-25-2011, 01:19 AM
So I got my tax refund and got alittle more than expected so I got some parts: FMF spark arrestor, air filter, factory honda manuel. I really want to do an air box mod, either eliminate the lid or install those button filters in the top. Anyone have a modified air box and if so what jets are you running.