PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with XC 300ex

badtothebone250
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
My brother did his first XC race yesterday and loved it... However he found out how tough they can be and he got pretty beat up. We have already done some basic mods including a yosh slip on, uni air filter, and jetted to get some more power out of the little 300. We have added power madd handguards with wrap around mounts, full chassis skid, swingarm skid, dg bumper and grab bar, nerfbars, and after this race he will be ditching the stock steel bars that got trashed for a set of aluminum bars. We will also be throwing some fresh tires on there... leaning towards the maxxis razrs. Our next step will be a gripper seat cover and the suspension could definitely be improved. Where can we get a gripper seat cover, and what is a reasonably priced way of upgrading the suspension? I have heard of guys swapping stock 400ex a arms to help widen the front? Any info is appreciated!

smr
04-19-2011, 06:22 AM
get you shock relocater and mount up some 400ex a-arms and shocks.

Get you a 2001 raptor rear shock.

This is an awesome setup and it's cheap.

I'm pretty sure I have one set left....I keep saying that everytime I see this thread like this....Just let me know if you need anything and I'll shot you a price on a package deal.

badtothebone250
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
What all do you have for sale? Do the 400ex shocks bolt right up with the swap? Also is it a good idea to respring and revalve the raptor shock or does it perform well in stock form?

badtothebone250
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Also will I need to get longer brake lines with the swap? Use 400ex tie rods I take it?

838xcracer
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes the 400ex a-arms will bolt right on. We run Houser Slycast xc a-arms on our 300ex for xc racing and love them.

smr
04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by badtothebone250
What all do you have for sale? Do the 400ex shocks bolt right up with the swap? Also is it a good idea to respring and revalve the raptor shock or does it perform well in stock form?

I got the relocater and shocks. That's it. You will need tie rods and you will be ready to go.

You can rebuild the rear shock but they work pretty good stock.

badtothebone250
04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Sent you a PM smr... 838xcracer, that is one tough little 300ex... looks like plenty of money and time have been put into it. We are trying to build just a budget racer for my brother. Anything you think is important or cheap to upgrade?

badtothebone250
04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Also was the 01 raptor the only year with a remote resi rear shock?

smr
04-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by badtothebone250
Also was the 01 raptor the only year with a remote resi rear shock?

I'm pretty sure...the others are piggy back and want fit.

838xcracer
04-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Badtothebone thanks for the complement. Yes there is a TON of cash in this build and ALOT of time. On the cheap mods a 400ex carb and uni filter and an opened up air box helps alot. I would try the 400ex arms and the shock combo that was mentioned.
And the main thing is to get the kid to ride alot and get his arms in shape to go the full time length of the race at full bore all out. Our xc races are 2 hrs and it was a little tuff for him to handle this quad pinned for 2 hrs in the tuff xc conditions,because he was only 12yrs old. But once they get to feel what the quad can do he will be fine. And stay away from soda or any thing with alot of suger.Because suger causes armpump.That i when your arms feel like jello and u can't hold on. Eat 2 or 3 bannana's before a race.