PDA

View Full Version : gearing and shocks questions

bigdaddy77
04-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Took my 7 year old son Adam to a local motorcross track for some practice. He is starting to get the hang of it. Still doesnt want to down shift out of 3rd gear as much as i would like. Running stock 14/42 gearing. This track is a lot longer than the next 2 we are going to run have the ability to go with 13/44 gearing . What kind of difference does it make just changing front sprocket 13 tooth and leavilg the back 42? Or changing the back to 44 and leave the front 14 tooth? We just need to be a little lower on the gearing.
Also shocks are going to be a issue! What is the best set up with these stock shocks for the time being? How much can I compress the preload?
His is a 2007 90cc typhoon, 114 big bore kit, keihin carb. Any help would be appreciated , looking for 13" elka front shocks and 14 1/2 long travel for rear. Also would like a stock swingarm to make a mod to fit long travel shock.
What about a steering stabalizer?

Ride1Rob
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
One tooth down on front sprocket equals two teeth up on the rear. Stock shocks are garbage. Any stick stabilizer for YFZ or TRX should bolt right up.