PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear brakes and rotor

Honda.rider5871
04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I changed the rear brake pads this winter , yesterday we were out riding the trails with a my wife and a couple friends when i heard grinding. Well it ends up being she need new pads and rotor again. Reason why the pads didnt last very long is becasue my wife was riding with her foot on the brake until i caught her after a ride or two. I replaced the pads with EBC heavy duty pads but didnt replace the scarred rotor. Question is what are the best rear brake pads and rotor out there in your opinion ? And also can you sand down the scarred rotor and get away without buying a new one or not?

CJM
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I wouldnt chance sanding down the rotor, a new one canbe had for 50 bucks from motosport or rocky mtn, they are all the same really.

I run EBC severe duty and like them alot, I ride in sand as well and no issues.

2001400exrida
04-19-2011, 01:12 PM
i've replaced pads 3 times on my 2007 ex and i've only had it for about a year and a half.

First thing, don't use the parking brake. Most of the time people set it too tight and it rubs. This happend to my first set of pads.

Second, don't spend money on awesome pads because no matter what if you ride hard you're gonna ride your rear brake, especially on flat track or hilly trails. Even the best pads can wear fast under extreme conditions.

Third, if it's grinding, STOP, and replace your pads. No reason to shred the rotor.

I get the rear pads that are like 10 bucks on ebay and they perform just fine. I don't think any one pad can out last another because it all depends on conditions. I ride hard trails so i do alot of rear brake smashing.

JOHNDOE83
04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I tried to smooth out one of my rotors once, they just warp from heat and uneveness.

I recently bought a new rotor and new pads for the rear and it was less then $50 for the whole thing brand new, on ebay.

The last pads I bought were the ebc heavy duty and they lasted me 5 years.

Honda.rider5871
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Ill be buying the EBC heavy duty pads or if i can find a couple sets at $10 each i might try them, considering im not very impressed with the EBCs so far. Whats a good rotor? can anyone give me a link for a Trail rotor thats more solid ? the only thing i found on motosport is mx rotors.

CJM
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Im not sure how others ride, but I use the breaks very little and usually control the bike by letting off the throttle or downshifting.

I hardly ever use the rear brake as well.

duroc825
04-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I use my fronts more than rears when riding the woods.
Never knew there was a difference in mx and xc rotors????