PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

PaRedneckRiders
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Ok pulled the quad apart again, heres what i found.
It was pushing a 125psi of comp but the rings are out of spec.
Manual says service limit is .006(top ring) .005(second ring)
I measured my second ring at .0285.

It would try and fire but wouldnt start, would you think this is the problem?

hocman123
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't think your problem has to do with u rings at all if u had 125 psi. thats right were u want to be, and tells us nothing was blowing past the rings, so i think u need to look elsewere for ur problem.

did u rejet if u change anything ???

how was the timeing???

did u adjust the valves????

and were u sure u were getting gas jets could be cloged or the flot stuck????

PaRedneckRiders
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Ok, its 11:1 i thought it should have more than 125psi

I just put a 450r carb on it but it was doing the same thing with a stocker (42 185)

Timing was on but valves were very close but could use adjusted. They should not have been bad enough to do that.

hocman123
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
well if that stage 2 is new in the engine it could cause it i guess if u didn't adjust the valves back out a little. but as long as u know the carbs were shotting gas good then it might not be the engine it could be a weak spark and u might need a new coil i have heard if that before.

also if u are cranking it like cazy and gas is flowing the plug should look black and really wet and u would be fouling them out really fast

PaRedneckRiders
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I sorta thought about the coil, it has spark but it still looks like it could be a little better.
I think im just gonna throw a new set of rings in and get a coil see if that works.
I was thinking about doing that before but didnt really know if i wanted to, would hate to buy new rings and gaskets and that not be the problem.

O and btw no the cam is not new to this motor.

JOHNDOE83
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
This may sound crazy but try a different CDI.

Youd be amazed at how many scooters, three wheelers, mini chinese quads use the same type of CDI. I only bring that up cause you might find one close by to try out.

If theres gas,spark,air, and the timing is right and cam checks out, that only leaves the on/off switch and CDI.