PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust factory rear shock?

bump1
02-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Can anyone help me and explain a little bit about adjusting the factory shock. I know it has a adjustment at the top and the bottom right? Turning it one way stiffens it and the other softens it but how much should you turn it two or three turns or like just a quarter how fine is the adjustment. Thanks for the help in advance!:devil

Ex'r Marlin
02-18-2003, 08:44 PM
I wish I could be of more help, but my advise is to first alter the compression setting on the shock, and notice how the atv reacts. If you like it or dislike it, continue making slight changes. Obviously, if you make a drastic change to your shock, you will notice it more quickly, just remember where you started from.

Sorry, it has been a long time since I messed with the stock shock:rolleyes:

Good luck!

JOEX
02-18-2003, 09:05 PM
I plan on adjusting mine once I get my axle:rolleyes:
First advice is to get a repair manual. Second, only do ONE adjustmet at a time, Very Important.

Joe

Mitch400EX
02-18-2003, 11:09 PM
The top one is compression, the bottom one is rebound. I would adjust in increments between 1/2 and 1 full turn. 3 turns in either direction is about as far as it will go (if I remember correctly). Adjust comp and rebound one at a time. Comp is usually a good place to start for adjustments. If the ride is too stiff, back of the comp a little bit. If the ride is too soft, up the comp a little bit. If the back end is getting kicked too high on jumps, back off the rebound. If the rear end is "packing" down (not returning to full extension on whoops or bumps), up the rebound. Remember make adjustments in small incriments and experiment with different combinations to find out what works.

02-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Do a search on shocks or suspension adj etc and see what you can find.

There are a lot of variables to getting this right and its not just a couple clicks here or there but more sbout how the mchine reacts to diff terrrain etc.

you could get some good info at www.mx-tech.com its really for bikes and there are some real differences but the rear shock set up and adj info is pretty good and does apply somewhat to quads.

Woz
02-18-2003, 11:48 PM
When you adjust the compression damper on the rear shock, the adjustments will be very difficult to feel. The adjuster doesn't make much of a difference on the stock Z unless you really make big adjustments.

My advice...
Turn it all the way to the right.... count the turns. Turn it all the way back the same amount of turns... Then Turn it all the way to the left... Count the turns. This will help you understand where you are starting. Write these turns down. If you already know how it rides where it is (have you ridden it lately?), then turn it all the way back to the right again, ride it, all the way back to the left again, ride it. Can you tell the difference? If so, tune it toward the side that felt better, and find that sweet spot between the better side and where it was orignially. If you can't feel a difference, then just put it back about where it was and leave it.

Rebound...
Rebound adjustments are more substantial... Easier to feel the changes. You shouldn't really need to adjust the rebound unless you have a problem... Like kicking/bucking. You shouldn't be able to adjust the rebound on a stock shock to a slow enough setting for it to start "packing". If it seems to be bucking, or the rear end wants to fly higher than the front off the jumps you can add rebound damping by turning it clockwise. Make these adjustments in smaller increments than the compression adjustments.

bump1
02-19-2003, 05:14 AM
Good advice from everyone thanks. Not really for my 400 but my buddys he thinks his is to stiff, but is always good to learn something else. Do they also explain this stuff in a clymer manual or any repair manual? I problably should get one anyway.