PDA

View Full Version : another enclosed trailer thread...

mx Eli
04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
ok so the other day I was talking with my buddy and last week he towed a 35 foot bumper pull camper down to texas from wisconsin with his 03 2500 cummins. he has a full banks kit and is putting down about 625 hp, its just a regular cab long box. empty he gets 22mpg and with that 35 foot trailer he gets 15. now im only 14 but I know thats pritty damn good.

make a long story short my dream rig would be a 40 foot gooseneck enclosed 50% living and 50% garage. a 12000 pound gvwr would be good enough cus quads dont weight much also an awning would be nice, towed by that truck

is there anybody out there with a set-up similar to this. add your dream rig too

trailrider894
04-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Well, let me tell you... A trailer like that will be surprisingly more heavy than you think. Sure a quad only weighs a few hundred pounds, but after you add in all the spare parts, couple sets of gears, not to mention a hefty tool setup like mine that weighs easily 300lbs, a 100lb generator and huge air compressor that about weighs the same, it really does all add up to be an insanly heavy setup. I Just pulled that 18ft enclosed trailer, and it is harder to stop and take off with than when pulling a full size 3/4 ton pickup on a car hauler....

YOURADHERE
04-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
ok so the other day I was talking with my buddy and last week he towed a 35 foot bumper pull camper down to texas from wisconsin with his 03 2500 cummins. he has a full banks kit and is putting down about 625 hp, its just a regular cab long box. empty he gets 22mpg and with that 35 foot trailer he gets 15. now im only 14 but I know thats pritty damn good.

make a long story short my dream rig would be a 40 foot gooseneck enclosed 50% living and 50% garage. a 12000 pound gvwr would be good enough cus quads dont weight much also an awning would be nice, towed by that truck

is there anybody out there with a set-up similar to this. add your dream rig too

If all he has is a full Banks kit he's not putting down 625 at the wheels, but that's neither here, nor there.

My current rig is a tandem axle 20'x8.5' V nose enclosed trailer(22' long if you count the nose). Insulated, A/C and heat, vinyl floors, 3 wall mounted fold down sofas that turn into good sized beds. It'll fit 4-5 race bikes plus tools, tires, supplies etc and can comfortably sleep 3-6 people. Pull it with my 03 F350 w/ 7.3 Powerstroke. Loaded it's pretty heavy so I only get 10-12 mpg pulling it.

ETA:

Originally posted by trailrider894
Well, let me tell you... A trailer like that will be surprisingly more heavy than you think. Sure a quad only weighs a few hundred pounds, but after you add in all the spare parts, couple sets of gears, not to mention a hefty tool setup like mine that weighs easily 300lbs, a 100lb generator and huge air compressor that about weighs the same, it really does all add up to be an insanly heavy setup. I Just pulled that 18ft enclosed trailer, and it is harder to stop and take off with than when pulling a full size 3/4 ton pickup on a car hauler....

This is very true. Take my trailer for example. Im not sure what it weighs empty but I towed it this weekend. Had 3 utility bikes at about 800lb a piece and a 450R at about 400. So that's almost 3000 lb right there. Add in about 200lb for the generator, 30 gallons of gas, a couple hundred pounds and ice chest and probably another few hundred pounds in tools, misc gear and other supplies you're looking at damn near #4000 total not including trailer weight. Another thing people don't consider is these enclosed trailers catch ALOT of wind drag.

sunco
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I got a 33' toyhauler, bumper tow. 3 quads and the grill. the 4th is in the back of the truck w/ the dog. 6 people= 8mpg

I got and 8x16 vnose (=18 1/2) three quads 3 people no dog. 10mpg.

I save 1 gallon of fuel by driving 65 :o

at 70 it all feels better :devil:

my truck 7.3 w/ 4" exhaust

You better have a good job to pull your dream around cause by the looks of thing you'll being using a toyota prius with a u haul :blah:

YOURADHERE
04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
^^Very true. We postponed our anual trip to Little Sahara due to fuel prices. We typically split cost between 3 people and it works out to less than $200 per person. That includes fuel, camp fees and any hotel cost. I figured it out the other day and it looks like it'll be $400-600 per person :eek2: Fuel prices will severely cut our riding trips this summer. We usually would make 1 or 2 trips to the local sand dunes about 80 miles away every month. Now if you're not chipping in atleast $30 for fuel you're not coming. Last month one of my brother's friends gave me $9...yea you're evicted from the riding group cheapskate. :grr:

97blaster200
04-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
^^Very true. We postponed our anual trip to Little Sahara due to fuel prices. We typically split cost between 3 people and it works out to less than $200 per person. That includes fuel, camp fees and any hotel cost. I figured it out the other day and it looks like it'll be $400-600 per person :eek2: Fuel prices will severely cut our riding trips this summer. We usually would make 1 or 2 trips to the local sand dunes about 80 miles away every month. Now if you're not chipping in atleast $30 for fuel you're not coming. Last month one of my brother's friends gave me $9...yea you're evicted from the riding group cheapskate. :grr:

lmfao 9 dollars....that would get me about 35-40 miles

mx Eli
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
its a full banks kit with some other goodies:devil: :devil:

right now we have a 18x8.5 enclosed and with 1 utility and 2 sport quads, two tool boxs, all gear 20 gallons of fuel generator, air compressor, 2 wall heaters, two propane tanks on tounge, and two poeple in truck we get 15mpg

we weighd the trailer on a gravel pits scale: 6500 pounds

sunco
04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I want to have my trailer as lite as possible. I just bought part plastic cabinets

trailrider894
04-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by sunco
I want to have my trailer as lite as possible. I just bought part plastic cabinets

If you wanna be light, just don't fill up the quads with gas until you are near where you wanna ride... ONly take the tools you need and never pack spare parts. My buddy and i easily take 100lbs combined in spare parts, including axle's a-arms, wheels, tires.... etc... it all add's up...