PDA

View Full Version : headlight/kill switch compatibility between years

DoonRider
04-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I researched this but I see conflicting info:
Is the handlebar mounted headlight/kill switch harness pigtail the same between the various years?
I would like to swap out an 86 and 88, but before I pull stuff apart I wanted to make sure they were the same.
I understand the key switch plays a part in the years after 86 but I don't know if it affects the switch pigtail or just the mating parts.
Hopefully someone has some firsthand knowledge.
Thanks for your time.

bigE28
04-18-2011, 02:19 PM
i have switches from an 86 and an 87 they look the same. the 87-89 had keys. i believe the switch will work for all years.

DnB_racing
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by DoonRider
I researched this but I see conflicting info:
Is the handlebar mounted headlight/kill switch harness pigtail the same between the various years?
I would like to swap out an 86 and 88, but before I pull stuff apart I wanted to make sure they were the same.
I understand the key switch plays a part in the years after 86 but I don't know if it affects the switch pigtail or just the mating parts.
Hopefully someone has some firsthand knowledge.
Thanks for your time. there are different part numbers between the years, that I am sure of,

i think the plug configuration is different

danhung11
04-19-2011, 10:10 PM
The switches all plug up the same. I have a mint one if you are interested. Also have the regulator and 86-87 light with a mount I made for aftermarket bar clamps.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1775.jpg