PDA

View Full Version : i got a problem! help

honda400ex27
02-18-2003, 06:07 PM
a starting problem....i got a 99 400ex, my problem is the bike wont start..i had to hook the charger up to it... when i turn the key on the nuetral light doesnt even burn...when i hook the charger up it lights up good...i think the problem may be the battery, BUT when the chargers hooked up and hit the start button it wont fire, i think theres something in the wiring....what is that box right underneath the gas tank for? i can move that little black wire and hit the start button and it will crank...i checked the fuse in the back by the battery and its good so im not sure what the problem is, i know it needs a new battery but its mostly in the wiring for the reason its not starting..but im no electrician so guys help me out here...gotta a race coming up in a couple weeks and need to get this fixed so all help would be appreciated

GNCC#829
02-18-2003, 07:28 PM
That little black round thing is the selanoid. I would try tightening that black wire that wiggles.

@Bad465EX
02-18-2003, 09:24 PM
the black wire that you are wiggling is a ground for your starter if you can wiggle it then that should be your problem !

honda400ex27
02-18-2003, 09:55 PM
ok i thought i checked that but it may have some rust where its grounded if that makes any difference

quadgod440ex
02-19-2003, 11:09 AM
check the ground wires for the battery some times they get rotted and a rip and dont have a really good connection and mine did the same as your twice good luck

honda400ex27
02-19-2003, 04:26 PM
well i worked on it some today guys, still no luck, i took the selenoid box off and checked everything, also checked all connections with battery, the weird thing about it is, i can turn the key on and my neutral light has nothing, well i put the charger on the battery and turn the key on and the neutral light is bright! well i can leave the charger on there but still nothing, could this possibly be DEAD battery? or what?

terko440
02-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Shoot you could always just disconnect your battery and hook those leads to your car battery or something just to see if it is the battery. Mine is a 99 also but has yet to poop out on me.

wilkin250r
02-19-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm an electrical engineer, and I can tell you this. If your battery is REALLY dead (like 2 volts), than any juice you put into it will sink into the battery instead of going to starter.

Try disconnecting the battery completely, and jump it with a car battery.