PDA

View Full Version : oil filter bolt??

01boneless
04-16-2011, 04:28 PM
hey guys i know this has been done before so i need some help. my long bolt for the oil filter cover stripped out not the bot the bolt is fine its the theads in the case . so im going riding and it needs to get fixed but i want it to be fixed good (not rigged lol) i dont want to take it apart. my uncle said somthing about a heliecoil. whats that and how does it work? could i get a bigger bolt and put in it and tightin it down or will that screw it up more? please help guys

NMills
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I know nothing about the helicoil... been meaning to look into it... but have not yet... I don't think a bigger bolt will help.... i'm sure it'll need to be drilled and tapped... atleast... don't do anything you think you may regret later...

01boneless
04-16-2011, 05:03 PM
eww i dont want to drill and tap any one know anything about helicoils?

400exmxrider15
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Take clutch cover off, go buy a Heli Coil or Time Sert kit for a M6x1.25 thread...It will show you step by step instructions. I think they go for $40....maybe cheaper...you can also take it to a machine shop and have it done...

01boneless
04-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Take clutch cover off, go buy a Heli Coil or Time Sert kit for a M6x1.25 thread...It will show you step by step instructions. I think they go for $40....maybe cheaper...you can also take it to a machine shop and have it done...

you cant use a heli coil with out taking off the clutch cover?

400exmxrider15
04-16-2011, 06:33 PM
no, because the long bolt goes through to the case. You dont wanna tap the cover...., it could possibly leak.

01boneless
04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
no, because the long bolt goes through to the case. You dont wanna tap the cover...., it could possibly leak.

thanks for the answers bro. first off what is a helicoil and what does it do lol? my luck when i take off the clutch cover more bolts will, mess up :( when my mechcanic rebuilt the top end he had nto use 7 helicoils becasue the dummy before me broke some bolts:confused:

01boneless
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM
also how did your race go today?:)

honda400ex2003
04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
helicoils are used in place of threads. they a "plug" of sorts that fits in the hole that needs to be fixed.

they require drilling a bigger hole in the material then press the plug into the hole to make it smaller again. this smaller opening is the proper size for the bolt needed.

steve

honda400ex2003
04-16-2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_5552241_install-helicoil.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

hope that helps you out a bit.

steve

ridein'red7
04-16-2011, 07:13 PM
helicoils and lock tight!

01boneless
04-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
http://www.ehow.com/how_5552241_install-helicoil.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

hope that helps you out a bit.

steve

thanks steve:)

honda400ex2003
04-16-2011, 07:20 PM
not a problem.

good luck with it, its easier said than done. lol

steve

01boneless
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
not a problem.

good luck with it, its easier said than done. lol

steve

ya id say .but that vid helped though. come to find out its got a helicoil insert in it but the bolt pulled out the spring should i be able to just put a new helicoil spring in it? lol what worries me about taking off the clutch cover cause that clutch arm you have to remove:ermm:

honda400ex2003
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
if you can get a spring for it and clean it up well then i dont see why you couldnt locktite it back in there again, although, ive never done one to know for sure.

the arm isnt bad, it will only go one way really. it just turns 90 degrees or so and unhooks as you slide it off. you can do the same to get it back in. if it doesnt lock in, it wont go far enough to sit flush.

steve

01boneless
04-16-2011, 07:36 PM
if you can get a spring for it and clean it up well then i dont see why you couldnt locktite it back in there again, although, ive never done one to know for sure.

the arm isnt bad, it will only go one way really. it just turns 90 degrees or so and unhooks as you slide it off. you can do the same to get it back in. if it doesnt lock in, it wont go far enough to sit flush.

steve

ok thanks bro helpful info ill try tomarrow. hmmm i could run it with one bolt haha just kidding lol:D

CJM
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
If it already pulled out its no good, you MAYBE able to clean up the threads (gonna need the helicoil set for the tap to do that or buy a tap).

Me, Id be removing the case and tapping it for the next size up, 7mm or 1/4" is the next size and can easily be done once you got it apart. I dont like helicoils on these engines, the engine cases are made of aluminum and can strip very easily b/c they are soft. Drilling and tapping to the next size is better and cheaper.

Last resort (cause they aint cheap) will be a time sert-it is a bit more work than to retap the hole and I wouldnt suggest using it.

01boneless
04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by CJM
If it already pulled out its no good, you MAYBE able to clean up the threads (gonna need the helicoil set for the tap to do that or buy a tap).

Me, Id be removing the case and tapping it for the next size up, 7mm or 1/4" is the next size and can easily be done once you got it apart. I dont like helicoils on these engines, the engine cases are made of aluminum and can strip very easily b/c they are soft. Drilling and tapping to the next size is better and cheaper.

Last resort (cause they aint cheap) will be a time sert-it is a bit more work than to retap the hole and I wouldnt suggest using it.

ok thanks cjm

CJM
04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Plus side to removing the case is you can inspect the clutch and timing chain and chain guides while your in there.

The repair im talking about will hold too.

Pipeless416
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
looks like you already got the info that you need to repair it, but my biggest suggestion is to get a quality torque wrench if you don't already have one. 7 ft lbs is about all any of the case bolts require. ask a friend that has used one before to help and take your time. you'll be ready to tackle most anything if you just go slow, along with a manual to look at.

01boneless
04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
ok guys i talked to my mechanic and he said before i heli it get the same size bolt except in american thread he said the thread is fatter?
if that dont work ill have to helicoil it :(

CJM
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Like I said:
1. remove case cover
2. drill out hole in next size up
3. tap for 1/4 or 7mm bolt
4. drill oil filter cover for new bolt size.

Everything you need can be bought at home depot/lowes except for maybe the tap which might have to be picked up elsewhere (autoparts store or specialty/online).

You wont be able to helicoil it with the cover on so thats a moot point anyways. Plus the helicoils suck on these things, the aluminum is to weak.

Im sorry, but if you cant figure out how to do this then please let someone who does understand it do the job for ya. What your "mechanic" is talking about is basically FORCING another size bolt in there and cross threading it in, hoping it stays in place. Thats all well and good-except you gotta remove this bolt often and it wont work.

AtvKid4Eva
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
yeah the proper way would be to remove the cover and re tap it. Its not that much work and you'd need a new gasket when your done. When you do get it fixed make sure you only snug those bolts up with a 1/4" ratchet, They only need SNUGGED not torqued down. Only until you feel they are snug or they will keep stripping. Aluminum threads are weak.

What you mechanic is saying to do is "rigging" is so i wouldn't that. Good luck!