PDA

View Full Version : BUilding a Trailer??

trailrider894
04-16-2011, 09:54 AM
How many of you guys have built your own trailer for quads?? I am just wondering, because i am looking to build one, because all the trailers here are P.O.S's and overpriced to buy one. Plus i really would love the experience of building one. Give me any info you have or ideas!!

kbnorth99
04-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I haven't built from scratch but I have a 5X8 that I am going to modify. I'm going to make mine like a Jumping Jack Trailer.
http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

The tent may come later but the top that flips up and forms sides will be hugely helpful for me. I am also planning a couple of extensions that will allow me to put 3 quads on instead of two. The space underneath the quads will be perfect for all my gear assuming it's not raining.

Ruby Soho
04-16-2011, 10:55 AM
this is home made, trailers are simple. if you have any common sense, are decent at fabricating and have a basic understanding of how they're put together you can make one just fine.

250x_kyle
04-16-2011, 01:26 PM
ive been wanting to build a box trailer for a while just havent had the time. the question is what kind of trailer are you looking to build. just a regular old utility trailer. how are you welding skills and what kind of tools do you have access to

bens250ex
04-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
this is home made, trailers are simple. if you have any common sense, are decent at fabricating and have a basic understanding of how they're put together you can make one just fine.

my truck and your truck could be twins

Ruby Soho
04-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
my truck and your truck could be twins

lets see the beast:D

CJM
04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Rather easy, find an axle you can use and make a rectangle frame out of square 1x1 or 2x2 tube. Get some leafs from an online site, weld some leaf spring hangers on (can be had from same site) or bolt the leafs on using bolt on hangers and your done.

Most trailers you buy are made of nothing more than angle iron, while strong its nowhere near as sturdy as square tube is-rounds even stronger but good luck making that work well.

Once you have the frame and axle on, get some decent wheels of course, find some way to mount lights (I used right angle brackets I mounted to the frame). Then find some pressure treated wood and drill holes thru the rails for bolts, get some roofing tar and
coat the rails and bolt everything up while still wet (roofing tar would help the wood from corroding and keep the metal from rusting).

Its not to hard, if you can weld it.

For a good size Id suggest 6x10, measure your quad and make sure it can fit both sideways and long ways.

kbnorth99
04-17-2011, 12:08 AM
CJM has a good point about size. My 5X8 is an awkward size for quads. 6X12 would get 3 quads nicely.

CJM
04-17-2011, 06:56 AM
^ Exactly. I bought for realc heap a well built homemade trailer awhile back the guy claimed to be 6x10-turned out to be more like 5.5x10 and I never measured it before I bought it. It will fit them sideways if I leave the front or back sticking out a bit. For the price Im not complaining-I got a great deal and the metals worth more than the price lol..

if you want it long enough to fit 2 400 sized quads back to back you need it to be 12ft or better, most 400 sized quads are about 70-72 inches long.

kbnorth99
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by CJM

if you want it long enough to fit 2 400 sized quads back to back you need it to be 12ft or better, most 400 sized quads are about 70-72 inches long.

If you have 6 feet you can put them on sideways. 6X12 you can put 3 on sideways assuming that they aren't over 4 feet wide on average.

bens250ex
04-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
lets see the beast:D

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/bens250ex/truck014.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/bens250ex/truck013.jpg

Ruby Soho
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
you aint kidding! haha, im doing those lights next on mine. looks good man

tbrackman84
04-17-2011, 08:21 PM
I guy i know got a junk camper for free, ripped all the stuff off of it and used the base of it to make a trailer. He used metal grate for the floor, and it was pretty sweet!

slightlybent47
04-17-2011, 10:06 PM
With today’s market you can buy one much cheaper then you can build one.
A good cargo trailer works real well and has many more benefits than an open trailer.
My cargo trailer is equipped with a Honda generator,TV,VCR,DVD, refrigerator, AC and heat. I did all the work on the inside including insulation and interior and floor.

Everything I need to go riding is stored in the trailer, and when it time to go riding I just hook up and go. I can stop anywhere I want and lock the trailer and not worry about someone stealing something. Nothing gets wet and when I get home I can just park and leave it till I can wash everything and get ready for the next time.