PDA

View Full Version : Setting my 300ex on fire...

BumblebeeEX
04-15-2011, 01:41 PM
if no one here can help me. So I got a new chain and realized that you have to disassemble the whole rear-end to put a new one on. That sucks, but I guess I had to. Put the new chain on after removing the links only to discover that I took too many out and the chain was so tight that I couldn't rotate the wheels by hand. I added three links. Now it is so loose that it droops a good 3 inches. I have no idea how the F that happened. So, I move on to try and tighten the chain some to see how much slack I need to take out. I loosen the pinch bolts and rotate the GD tensioner which might have moved about 1/4". Now I am cranking this son of a ***** after wd-40, Liquid Wrench and some PB blaster. WTF? Does anyone have any advice on rotating these tensioners?

dabomb_350x
04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
First do you have the stock carrier/tensioner? Are you running the stock gearing 13/18 or something close to it like 14/16? If so you should have had 86 links.

If you have the stock carrier did you turn it all the way counter clockwise (pushing it forward at top) forward til it hit the stop. It sounds like you got the carrier/tensioner turned all the way out against the full adjustment stop.

Try turning it the other direction and see how much you can move it that way.

BumblebeeEX
04-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Its all stock and I have tried turning the tensioner both directions. It does seem as though it is topped out, but wont go back the other way either. And 1/4" is kind of a generous estimate. It realistically is probably only moving 1/8" either way.