PDA

View Full Version : W/B E-SERIES owners please respond

trxex
02-18-2003, 04:35 PM
ok 2001 stock 400 ex.header welds ground all the way and polished,uni air filter.end of snorkle opening(under gas tank) opened up a bit ,(cut 2'' off it),6-1'' holes in air box 2 in front and 4 in rear of lid,40 pilot jet pilot screw 3 turns out,150 main jet,needle clip in stock setting ''3rd clip'',20-11-9 holeshots.this is the way i have been riding it with stock muffler (at sea level) L.I N.Y .today i put on a new white brothers e -series s-bend along with a 155 main jet.i put the pipe on the way it came out of the box,12 dics,spark arrester in.it runs good and i think the jetting is close.i rode it on the road (clear of snow but damp with wet spots). it was hard to tell but i dont think i felt any seat of the pants power gains,will not know untill i race by buddies z400. any input would be so helpfull.thanks

trxex
02-18-2003, 04:56 PM
left something out of my first post.when i took the pipe out of the box i noticed a small crease on the back side of pipe body.the box was not dammaged.i took it back into the store and the parts guy told me that it was put there by white brothers to clear the brake caliper if the quad should bottom out.anyone else have this crease..is it really normal????

jchevy
02-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Yeah the crease in there is normal.

ny300exrider
02-18-2003, 05:05 PM
yea the crease is normal...did you ever go to the pit on sunday???i went but i didnt see you there..i saw a 03 400ex and a z400 but it wasnt you hahah..lata

anywhereEx
02-18-2003, 05:06 PM
If the crease is just below the aluminum brakcet then I have seen a ton of them with the crease. Including mine

trxex
02-18-2003, 05:10 PM
eric just sent you a pm,ok thanks the crease is normal. anyone have any input,advise,opinons on my first post .thanks

AtvMxRider
02-18-2003, 05:18 PM
I have an E-Series and I noticed a big difference in power. It gave it more bottom and mid and maybe alittle on top. I love the sound of it.

JOEX
02-18-2003, 05:37 PM
You should notice a difference in throttle response..a little snappier/torquey (is that even a word:p ) The advertised HP increase is 2-4 mostly low and mid.
Try lowering the needle clip one notch (raising the needle itself). I noticed a difference there with mine.
I don't know if cutting off two inches of the snorkle is good or bad, I just opened up the entry hole itself.

Joe

BaD_250ex
02-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey i dont have the crease in my exhaust, where exactly is it supposed to be located, i have a hammer and i could make one! lol, just jokin, but should I send mine in and have it put their or get a new one?

trxex
02-18-2003, 06:24 PM
i called white brothers tech line and they said do not move the needle clip .leave it at the stock setting.3rd groove.i also called several honda dealers and talked to service personal .they said the same ,leave the clip at stock. but i moved it down 1 notch to raise the neecle and i did not like it so i moved it back to stock.what size mains are you e-series owners using.does a 155 at sea level sound right for a starting point with the mod i have??

jchevy
02-18-2003, 06:30 PM
throw a 160 main in and see what happens, everybike is going to be different. Gunna have to figure it out by expiramenting with different jets. Whats the plug look like.

300exracer
02-18-2003, 06:40 PM
I felt big power gains on my 300ex with the K&N filter and the e-series.

JOEX
02-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Needle....did they say why? I'm just curious, it seems to me that if you change the air flow of the motor, all three carburator circuits will be affected at least somewhat.

Also, I would belive that most all riding is done with the throttle position somewhere between 1/4 and 3/4 which is where the needle circuit is. So, wouldn't that be the place to make changes?

Someone please enlighten me on why hardly anybody talks about adjusting the needle circuit.

Joe

My set-up:
Trimmed snorkel
lid on
K&N filter w/ outerwears
40 pilot
needle up one
150 main
ground welds
WB E-series 12 discs

Steve-o 400EX
02-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I have an E-Series and I noticed a big difference in power. It gave it more bottom and mid and maybe alittle on top. I love the sound of it.

True that.

The crease is normal. Your jetting should be pretty close, I am a bit above sea level and I'm runnin a 42pilot and 152 main and its right on. I got the same mods you do but I also removed my choke. This was a big help. You might be a hair rich because i did the same changes and I was rich and am still a little bit rich but its really close.

Steve-o 400EX
02-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Needle....did they say why? I'm just curious, it seems to me that if you change the air flow of the motor, all three carburator circuits will be affected at least somewhat.

Also, I would belive that most all riding is done with the throttle position somewhere between 1/4 and 3/4 which is where the needle circuit is. So, wouldn't that be the place to make changes?

Someone please enlighten me on why hardly anybody talks about adjusting the needle circuit.

Joe

My set-up:
Trimmed snorkel
lid on
K&N filter w/ outerwears
40 pilot
needle up one
150 main
ground welds
WB E-series 12 discs

Usually the needle doesnt have to be messed with unless you do something really drastic to the machine like a 416 kit or a full exhaust system. With a slip on it doesnt really need to be moved although you can toy with it because everyones elevation and setup is different.

JOEX
02-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Usually the needle doesnt have to be messed with unless you do something really drastic to the machine like a 416 kit or a full exhaust system. With a slip on it doesnt really need to be moved although you can toy with it because everyones elevation and setup is different.

Thanks Steve.... Do you know where I can get more info on this? I know it's complicated and there are alot of variables involved and i'm not doubting you, I just like to have more than one source of info;)

Joe

trxex
02-18-2003, 08:19 PM
bump:D

CC Rider
02-18-2003, 08:36 PM
C&D has the best explaination on each circut of the carb , its kinda long but its the most informative info on it I have read yet.

http://colbykostman.tripod.com/id57.htm

JOEX
02-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks CC rider
That page does shed some light on the subject. I need to read it a few more time to let it sink in though lol!

I still belive (in theory) that the needle circuit is the most important being that most riding is done with the throttle position is between 1/4 and 3/4. I understand that you get "maximum horsepower" at the upper rpm but how often is the average rider at the peak rpm/hp point on a regular basis?

Maybe the needle is more "forgiving" for lack of a better word, so it doesn't need adjusting.

I think everyone seems to belive that peak horsepower is best so they go for the main jet to get that. And it is the easiest to change too.

I still want more info....can anyone prove me right or wrong?

Joe

RytM1
02-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Trx, if I have any type of clue, L.I.N.Y.= Long Island, New York. From what I hear, it's kinda cold there right now. I ran a 155 main when I put my e-series on (w/ a K&N), but I usually don't do much cold weather riding. The way I understand jetting (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the colder air your riding in now, is denser than warm air. This means you need to introduce more fuel to the mix. I would think that bumping up the main would help on the top end if thats where you feel there is not as much improvement as you think there should be.

zoom400ex
02-18-2003, 09:30 PM
i noticed a descent increase in power with my e series slip on and a k&n filter with a 160 main. it was mostly low to mid power and much more torque....... then when i ground the welds out of my header i got the increase of power all across the powerband

Steve-o 400EX
02-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by zoom400ex
i noticed a descent increase in power with my e series slip on and a k&n filter with a 160 main. it was mostly low to mid power and much more torque....... then when i ground the welds out of my header i got the increase of power all across the powerband

I started runnin with a 160 but I was way to rich so I took it down to a 152 and now its just right. with the 160 I had no power wide open in 5th but now i got a ton of power.

trxex
02-19-2003, 08:38 AM
steve o - with my 155 main i noticed a loss of power to in 5th wide open,if it was lean it would backfife and plug would be white..iam going to try a 152 main. with the 155 my plug tip really dont have any color but near the bottom of the porclian near theeads of plug has a very black rich color to it .so does the plug rim. are you at sea level,

Steve-o 400EX
02-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by trxex
steve o - with my 155 main i noticed a loss of power to in 5th wide open,if it was lean it would backfife and plug would be white..iam going to try a 152 main. with the 155 my plug tip really dont have any color but near the bottom of the porclian near theeads of plug has a very black rich color to it .so does the plug rim. are you at sea level,

I'm a bit above sealevel an hour north of philly and the 152 runs great for me. I was still rich with a 155 too. I still am a hair rich but when i get around to it i'll just play with the air/fuel screw.

YZROOSTINYA
02-19-2003, 10:43 AM
i am at a 155 with all my mods. 150 are what my buddies are runnin

Sick0
02-19-2003, 12:16 PM
I own a white bros pipe. I only felt a little gain
after I jeted it. But right now its been real cold and I'm runing a 180 main jet.

trxex
02-19-2003, 12:39 PM
i think i will give my 150 a try .if n/g then a 152,i think my 155 is to rich.stock was 148

Steve-o 400EX
02-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by trxex
i think i will give my 150 a try .if n/g then a 152,i think my 155 is to rich.stock was 148

yea go for it, the only way to find out for sure is to try things.

trxex
02-19-2003, 07:10 PM
ok i put the 150 main back in and what a difference.much better .guess i will have to do a plug check to see

trxex
02-19-2003, 08:12 PM
ok guys i think i got it set right .now do you guys think i will be able to beat my buddies stock 400z.he is allways saying what a pig 400 ex's are and i want to shut him up.again my mods are,grinded and polished headpipe welds,w/b- e-series 12 disc,uni air filter,air box mod(12-1'' holes in it),40 pilot,152 main,holeshots 20-11-9(slightly taller tire than stockers) adjusted throttle cable so it is able to go w.o.t. when my 400 was 100% stock he beat me by 2 or 3 quad lengths on top end,out of the hole they were side by side. will be racing at sea level at around 40'f deg temp. also i thnk i need to go up on main ,plug is yery light gray almost white color

trxex
02-20-2003, 10:39 AM
bump

400grl
02-20-2003, 12:54 PM
You know - it's hard to tell if the 400 will beat the Z, even with your mods. My guess is, it's going to be close - may even be just rider skill at this point. I kind of wonder about your tires being a little taller than stock, though. Anyone else, please chime in....but if you haven't changed your gearing any to allow for a larger tire, you might be losing some power there. Just a thought - like I said.....I don't know much about gearing/tire ratios........:) ;)

ditchrider
02-20-2003, 10:46 PM
MY friend had one took really good care of it but yet it came a part
where the pipe goes in the front of the muffler he JB welded it good as
so that is just something to watch for

ditchrider :eek:

trxex
02-22-2003, 09:07 AM
bump