PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Troubleshooting, Please Help

sheweezy
04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Please serious responses only, but I am having electrical difficulties.....

Completing a rebuild, installed Sparks Key during rebuild just in case that could give you guys any clue...

My quad will not crank with the starter button, my lights will not come on, and the neutral light will not come on...I can put a screwdriver across the starter relay and it will crank, the lights will come on, and the neutral light will come on....I can push the starter button and hear the starter motor turning, showing the starter button is working....also my neutral light continues to stay on when put into gear.....

My harness is all properly hooked up....wondering if this is maybe a bad starter relay, rectifier, or something wrong with the stator...

Thanks in advance

sheweezy
04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
TTT

Calling on Steve, Ron, CJM, Pipeless, NacsMxer, etc

haha Thanks

CJM
04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Im here, and I SWEAR Ive seen this before but cant recall what the fix was.

I want to say the solution was either a grounding problem,battery was dead/bad (tried jumping it yet?), bad fuse, one of the wires under the hood was not installed properly (IE connected to wrong end or loose/not connected).

Thats all I can recall now.

Or it could be a bad solenoid. You can get one MUCH cheaper at the autoparts store-ask them to match it.

Thinking on it, neutral wire-down by the cases?

sheweezy
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
hahah dude you could have just said hey and it would have made me feel alot better already....

but yeah I swear I have heard this problem before...my buddy is having a close to similar issue but not completely the same....

my grounds seem all good, but i am going to do a little more work to make sure, just had pc done so could be possible....battery is alil weak, but the screw driver on the solenoid is without it on a jumper box, seems symptons hooked up on the jumper box also....fuses all good, wires and harnesses all good....going to check the solenoid tom and see if it is bad, one thing of the three things i was leanin towards....

what I don't get is everything works fine once it is cranked and running, and also the neutral light staying on continuosly....

preciate the help man!!!

CJM
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Could also take a peak in the starter/headlight combo switch, something might be corroded causing issues.

There are 2 wires in there that control the neutral light also iirc.

sheweezy
04-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Oh yeah forgot to mention that, it had this problem with and without the switch box, but I have taken the box apart, relocated my kill switch, light switches, and put a kill switch starter button on the bars in its place....all of that seems good.....

its gotta be something non connection wise, because as soon as you crank the quad everything is functional, I can also hit the starter button while it is running and here the starter motor turning....

sheweezy
04-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Figured out my issue...
The fuse holder contains two fuses, the dummy fuse and the actual fuse, the actual fuse has two female connecters that are held in place by a rubber grommet at the botton of the fuse holder...one of my connectors had got pushed down somehow and was not making connection...placed it in the correct position and everything is fine.....thanks for the concern CJM!

CJM
04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Never know, sometimes its stupid simple. Glad you got it working.

sheweezy
04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
ha now if i could just light a fire under my shock and link builders rear ends I could be riding.....

Pipeless416
04-14-2011, 10:44 PM
wish i would have seen this sooner.. that's the second thing i check now after the ground because it has happened to me so many times! glad you got it taken care of. :)

sheweezy
04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
haha, if I run out of gas, I am probably going to blame that thing now.... It irritated the crap out of me, my strong suit is electrical, and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, I kept tracing it back to the fuse everytime I check continuity and was like what the crap meter, its fine look for yourself (definitely was talking to me and my meter) and finally really looked at it and found that and just wanted to kick myself...not the best design for a fuse holder if I have ever seen one, but I know now....preciate it Pipeless!