PDA

View Full Version : My custom fit YFZ Rath nerfs/pegs 86-87!!!

socal
04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I had a YFZ that I parted out and decided to try and mount up the Rath nerfbars(my personal favorite) on the 86R.I had the older AC pro-pegs with the narrow pegs that I took off,leaving the pro-peg mount on the bike.The tube was a bit too wide for the Rath to slide over so I ground it down a bit,basically just the paint,then I hit it with some lube spray.After some cutting,drilling and grinding,here is the finished product.

socal
04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Front mount had to be cut down a bit and re drilled,the hole is a bit off center and I had to add a 5/8 spacer.

socal
04-13-2011, 08:35 PM
These pegs chew up boots but I love em,I may gring them down a bit?

hartwill
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Nice mod.:eek2: :eek2:

socal
04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks,build is almost done.Waiting on my +4 Laeger arms,PCd sun gold to match the swingarm.Decided not to bore everyone with a build thread.I will post before and after pics.Im stoked,this will be my first R since I bought a brand new one in 87.

socal
04-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Just read in the cross compatability chart thread,the Z400 design is a closer fit.

socal
06-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I had some people PM me with questions on my nerfs so I decided to revive this thread.To start off,the Rath nerfs are for 04-09 YFZ450.I already had the footpeg propeg mounts on the R from my old AC nerfs.That is key because the mounts that come with the Raths were not used for this.They would work but would need new holes drilled in them,here is a side by side pic of the AC peg mounts on my R and the Rath peg mount,you can see the tab is a bit longer and a new hole would need to be drilled,pretty simple!

socal
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Now that the peg mount issue is out of the way,on to the install.The left side tab at the motor mount was cut down in length,just below the hole that was there for the YFZ motor mount. and a new hole was drilled.The mounting tab on the right(exhaust side) was cut off oad not used.That tab is welded on a few inches away from the frame,about center of where the R pipe is and is not even needed because the nerf tubes that run through the frame slide into each other,locking the front down.It is fairly simple to do,and well worth it!As stated before,there may be a closer fitting option like the Z400,I just happened to have this set and decided to make it work!In this pic you can see the front tab under the pipe,before it was completely cut off!