PDA

View Full Version : Piston and Cam Question

gregmcneil
02-18-2003, 03:43 PM
I'am in the middle of rebiulding my 400 for the winter, and I plan on puttin a wiseco 11:1 piston in , and a hot cam stage 2, but the only thing is that i heard that when installing the cam you should replace the rockers, but i heard from someone else that you didn't have to, So i was wondering is it necessary to replace the rockers or can you use the stock ones and everything will be okay.
If anybody has this setup that I'am puttin in , let me know what you think of the power you gained form it,
Is there anything else that is necessary to replace when i have the top end tore down, thanks

2 QuicK
02-18-2003, 04:42 PM
With Hotcam's cam hardfaced rockers are not required since it is a drop in cam.

Dune Surfer
02-18-2003, 06:10 PM
I have the same setup that your looking at. You do not have to replace the rockers, although when I installed mine they did recomend it. So I did. most people don't. As far as gains go, it's alot stronger than stock. You didn't say what size piston so it depends. I started at 416 and wanted more, It's getting bored to 426 right now. The only problem I have had is blowing head gaskets because the studs in the cylinder pull out. Replace them with some larger ones and you will be good to go.

Steven
02-18-2003, 06:59 PM
You don't have to get hard-faced rockers but it is a good idea to get new ones from Honda ($90).

See, your origional rockers have worn to conform to the irregular and worn surface of your oem cam. When you spin a new smooth cam on the old rocker, the wear groves in the rocker will cut into the cam. Get new rockers and you will have two smooth surfaces mating to one another... better for longevity. That way your cam and rockers will last a long time.

Bore to the 416 and with that hotcam, you should see 5 HP to the ground in the midrange and much more around redline.

Steve

shamisc
02-21-2003, 04:50 PM
YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET HARD FACED ROCKERS WITH THE HOTCAM!!! The Hotcam is not hard welded and hard faced rockers will only cause premature failure, this is per HotCams Inc. You don't need HD springs either.