PDA

View Full Version : Beginning racer tips?

02EXKid
04-13-2011, 01:48 PM
i am 17 and have been riding since i was 4 years old. And just recently i have decided to take an interest at ATV racing. i have an 02 400ex and would like to know what i should do or could do to my quad to start racing it. should i start with body works like A-arms and suspension, or should i begin with engine work or what? I would also like to learn the secret to starting at the gate and getting a good jump to get out in front. :) Any information would be very much appreciated.

440racer66
04-13-2011, 02:04 PM
well at first i would say either sell your quad for a 450 or just do suspension mods and a arms stuff like that but as soon as you do that you gonna want the power of a 450. so either way if you are serious about wanting to race your probably gonna need to upgrade the equip..

02EXKid
04-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Do you believe there is a difference in performance and power between yzf and trx 450's?

buck440
04-13-2011, 02:10 PM
as for working on the 400ex, this is where you want to go

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=64

it's pretty active in there so they should get back with you pretty quick.

slightlybent47
04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
It all depends on what type of racing you are going to do. For mx the ex is not the best choice for power. Yes a good rider can do well on an ex but most mx tracks are better on a 450. Woods and trail racing is deferent and an ex will do very well.

I would use the ex as a starter bike and try it first before I spent a lot of money on it.
You may fine it’s not for you, or it’s not fast enough, and if it is what you want then you can work on the bike or switch to a 450.

On the ex suspension is the key to a fast bike, plus motor mods.

Try it first then decide what to do.

440racer66
04-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 02EXKid
Do you believe there is a difference in performance and power between yzf and trx 450's?

there are some differences moslty in the way they handle. and the trx seems to pull down low better and the yfz is more at the top end. the yfz seems to take braking bumps better and it also flys alot better imo. the honda corners like its on rails but packs up in the bumps. i would just hop on one and get the feel for it.

TheLane
04-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Work on your jumping and cornering.

Leaning and being able to clear things is huge,

if your not confident practicing on it, dont race on it.