PDA

View Full Version : hiper-stripped threads.

Honda4life05
04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I bought s set of used hiper tech-3's with the integreated hubs,

one of the outer ring threads are stripped, is there any way to fix this? I'm not sure about tapping it bigger beacause the metal insert is only so big.
Hopefully the hubs don't strip out, like the stories i have been hearing. anyone know what size of bolt the outer ring uses?
thanks.

CJM
04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Could helicoil, or just drill and tap for the next slightly larger size up. Or you might just be able to clean up the threads with the proper size tap as well.

Scro
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Give hiper a call. I know a couple people that this happened to. Hiper fixed it free of charge, but they bought them new though. It's worth a shot.

candidate zero
04-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Are you sure the threads stripped? On mine the metal insert broke loose and it was just spinning.

Rootar
04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
makes you wonder how some one could pay so much for wheels only to improperly assemble and over torque them. i seen hipers where the beadlocks rings were so distorted from being put on wrong and bolts pulled clean through the rings too.

i work on my hipers like i work on an engine, with tq wrenches and time. properly built hipers also hold air for more than a day or two, bet alot of you guys didnt know that :eek2:

lol

quad2xtreme
04-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Using an air wrench to break the bolts loose works best. This helps prevent the metal insert from twisting loose inside the rim because the bolt wouldn't break loose from the metal insert.

I've also had great success in using an air wrench to get the bolt out even with the metal insert has twisted loose from the rim...on friend's Hiper wheels.

fastredrider44
04-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
makes you wonder how some one could pay so much for wheels only to improperly assemble and over torque them. i seen hipers where the beadlocks rings were so distorted from being put on wrong and bolts pulled clean through the rings too.

i work on my hipers like i work on an engine, with tq wrenches and time. properly built hipers also hold air for more than a day or two, bet alot of you guys didnt know that :eek2:

lol

I agree. I torque mine too and I also use a 3/8 impact to loosen and to start them. Chances are that it's a spinning insert. Much more common than having one strip.

87HONDATRX250X
10-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Any one know how to get a spinning bolt out? I got one on the outer ring that keeps spinning. Cant get my tire off :ermm:

quad2xtreme
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
Any one know how to get a spinning bolt out? I got one on the outer ring that keeps spinning. Cant get my tire off :ermm:

Have you tried using an air tool? It might break it loose because it will attempt to spin it much faster than you can with a hand tool. There may be enough friction that it breaks loose this way. It has worked for me in the past. Now, I always break them loose in the first place with an air tool.

Beyond that, you might have to drill it out or use a Dremel and cut it off...which is going to make the ring look nasty in that one spot...although you could reuse if you wanted. I keep smaller worn down Dremel cutoff wheels for purposes like this when I need something smaller to get in there. You could also grind the head down with a Dremel "stone".

I don't know if you can get those inserts from Hiper or not. Legal dept probably wouldn't let them sell those pieces as it would show something is wrong with the wheel.

turdboy
10-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Hiper wheels-headache. I bought a set of used hipers and several inserts had spun. I spent a week or so working on them. I actually removed some of the inserts and tried to epoxy them back in. Did not work, gave the wheels away. Dwt is where its at.

TacicalRedneck
11-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by turdboy
Hiper wheels-headache. I bought a set of used hipers and several inserts had spun. I spent a week or so working on them. I actually removed some of the inserts and tried to epoxy them back in. Did not work, gave the wheels away. Dwt is where its at.

i agree- but i would've bought those from ya!! :eek: :D

quad2xtreme
11-01-2012, 06:17 AM
You drill all the way through and then use a long bolt from the inside out. After installing the tire and ring, torque the nut down, then cut the excess bolt threads off with a Dremel. If you want to be really neat about it, you can count the threads, take the ring back off, then cutoff the excess threads so they are more recessed.

Honda4life05
11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Hipers aren't THAT bad.. overpriced? yes.. But they last IF and only if you take care of them. I started this thread about a year ago and my hipers (tec-3's) don't leak any air. The key is torquing the bolts. The common problems are stripping, spinning the insert, or pulling out the insert all from over tightened bolts. In my opinion, for the money there are much better options out there for wheels..

candidate zero
11-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I bought a set used with tires and had problems with the bolts seizing. Bought a new half for the wheel having problems. Lasted a while until I broke a ring and gave up on them.

Now I have two sets of OMFs and a set of DWT