PDA

View Full Version : 88 Honda TRX 250r Rebuild

tex250r
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Hello Everyone, I have a 1988 Honda 250r that Im wanting to rebuild the top end on. I have never rebuilt a 2 stroke engine before and was hoping to come here and learn a few things.
Im pretty sure that this bike still has the stock bore.
Here's what Im dealing with, Ive removed the head and measured the bore with some calibers. I got 2.601 inches and thats very close to 66mm which is the stock bore size for this bike from what ive learned from this forum already?

Ive done some machine work in the past and was thinking about boring this thing out myself. (I have access to a bridgeport) Not sure if I have made up my mind on if im going to do it or not.

I really dont have a ton of money so I was thinking about just boring my cylinder to the next size piston kit. I think you can go 66.25, 66.50, 66.75 or 67.00 and so on. Keep more metal there for later rebuilds if needed, know what i mean? Just depends how much it takes to clean up the scars in the bore right? So heres one of many questions. :)

When ordering a kit lets just say 67mm. Is the 67mm the actual size of what you bore it out to or the actual OD of the piston?

How much gap or room does the piston need? .020,.030,.040 inches?

Ive got a long list of questions but this will get me started for sure. Thanks for your time!

PS if I posted this in the wrong spot im sorry!

tex250r
04-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I got the cylinder off tonight and it doesn't look like its in that bad of shape. The piston looks like it let one of the rings get caught in one of the intake ports? Does this usually happen when they start to burn up? There is some scaring on the side of the piston. Looks like there is some of the upper ring missing. There is also like 2 or 3 dings in the top of the head. What do yall think happened? Is there a way of looking at the piston and able to tell if its stock?

Thanks

tex250r
04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok after a little research and talking to a few guys locally i realize why no one replied to my thread. I will take all the name calling like a man. Ha

Maybe someone can help me out with this question. I needing to paint my plastics on my R and was wondering it anyone knows of a good paint that will stick well to the plastic?

Also have to trouble shoot my clutch. If theres someone that knows these clutches really well and could answer some of my questions it would really help me out.

about the clutch: the quad has been sitting for a really long time, I bought the thing under the impression that the clutch was just stuck, im starting to think thats not the problem.
I have the side cover removed and I have taken the clutch apart once already and none of the frition disks or plates seemed to be stuck. I put it all back together just like it came apart and still have the same problem. The clutch lever just pulls easy and the clutch does NOT disengage! Theres a push rod that goes through the case and applys pressure to the pressure plate. when i have it apart the push rod moves freely. It almost seems like there is something missing in between the push rod and the pressure plate. The rod doesnt engauge hard enough to free the frition disks. I have even taken the lever on the side of the engine where the cable goes to its max and its still not enought to disengauge the clutch.

any thoughts of what to do or what might be wrong? I can post pictures if it helps.

Thanks Fellas

tex250r
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Admin, please delete this thread. I have relocated it.

Thanks and sorry for the hasel