PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting

dwest86r
04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I've got an 07450er and recently its very hard to start. I have to pump the throttle and hold it in a certain spot before the engine will crank. After the engine warms up a good bit I have no problem starting it. Any ideas? I've played with the idle screw but it's still doing it.

DnB_racing
04-12-2011, 08:41 AM
it could be you just need to clean carb and air filter, or it could be valves need adjusting, I would do both!!checking vales is very easy and very important as is the clean carb and filter

dwest86r
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
I have cleaned the whole carb but it still does it. Filter is all good. Never checked the valves but I'm sure it wouldnt hurt. It's like the engine has to build up to cranking....starts out turning slow but the faster the engine spins, the faster you have to pump the throttle. Any links for adjusting the valves?

Scro
04-12-2011, 09:00 AM
If you've never adjusted the valves, that will probably be the problem. DO NOT GIVE IT GAS WHILE CRANKING! It will cause the starter clutch to fail prematurely. It's OK to pump the gas before, just don't hold it while cranking.

dwest86r
04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Its the only way the bike will crank. Could the Idle screw cause any problems like this? How do i adjust the valves?

airmobile101
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Im gonna go with all the above statements. Also....... set that decompression!