PDA

View Full Version : 400ex key problems

bdubwiley
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
hello all, im new to the forums and had a question hoping someones knowledge could help me out a bit. i bought a 2001 400ex about a month ago and noticed when i got it that you could put the key in and turn it on and crank the quad and pull the key out of the ignition with it still in the on position and quad still running. that wasnt much of a problem at first, but now over the last week and a half sometimes when the quad is running and i turn the key off it will stay running. sometimes it will turn right off. and ive also noticed that after riding around for a while sometimes when i shift to neutral the light will not come on. has anyone experienced a problem like this before or know where to start on fixing this?

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 09:26 PM
ill have to think about the key issue a bit. it could be corrosion in the switch housing, short, or a bad wire somewhere up in the dash. check for loose ones coming out of it first.

right by the shifter there is a plug that is for the neutral light, id check that first and make sure it is connected tight and that the wire is not loose in the boot. that is probably the case with it and is the easiest to check.

steve

bdubwiley
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
alright i will have to check that tomorrow for the neutral light and see if that helps any. the key issue is kinda weird to me too and i didnt really know what could be causing it.. oh yeah i checked the wires to the ignition and everything seemed to be fine up there

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex-crankcase/o/m2661sch91119

it is down by number 6 if it helps you out any. it is the only wire that runs down there.

steve

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
also welcome to the site!

steve

bdubwiley
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
alright i know exactly what your talking about now, i will def check that out and see, i really prec ur help on that. thanks for the welcome

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
not a problem! report back your findings on the neutral switch. lol usually when mine quits working, that plug just comes unplugged a bit. sometimes your shoes hit it and unplug it.

steve

grassman
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Also check and make sure your wires aren't crossed under the headlights. I know when I took my front plastics off I connected the green wires backwards when I put them back on. One is the neutral light and the other is the key kill...

bdubwiley
04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
yeah im pretty sure nothing is crossed up cause i was checking earlier today to make sure everything under there was making a good connection hoping maybe that was what was causing my ignition problems, but i will def double check tho cause it never hurts to look

honda400ex2003
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
any updates?

steve

bdubwiley
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
got the neutral light figured out, the wire was loose, pushed it back on and seems to be working fine.....now if i can just figure out the key switch everything would be great

honda400ex2003
04-12-2011, 06:42 PM
at least you got one fixed. progress is good. :D

it is possible that is not grounding out properly somewhere if it stays running after the key turns off but i am not 100% on how it does it. It may just cut the power thru the wire in a normally closed switch style when it is in the "on/run" position then open when it is turned off. I am not 100% how that switch is so it may be good to check out the wiring diagram.

how do you turn it off if the key doesnt- killswitch on the bars?

steve

bdubwiley
04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
yeah i was glad to atleast have one problem fixed.. im not really sure on the ignition either, i have checked the wires running to the it and everything seems fine with that, but you might have a good idea on the grounds cause i know sometimes stuff not well grounded will do crazy stuff. this is my first 400ex. ive had other quads and other honda dirt bikes. do you happen to know where the ground locations are because i havent gotten a manual for this thing yet. oh yeah and when the key wont turn it off i just hit the kill switch on the bars

hocman123
04-12-2011, 08:54 PM
i think it is the key its self ur haveing the problems with i bet if u got a new one it would solve ur problems. they sell them on ebay with the new key for 20-30 dollers or so. if nothing else works thats what i would do