PDA

View Full Version : top speed?

atver13
04-11-2011, 09:20 PM
what is the stock top speed on these things?

honda250xrider
04-11-2011, 11:30 PM
around 72-75mph stock I believe

nkillian9
04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
dirt wheels said 72 without cherry bomb, so im guessing after baffle removed and airbox lid off be closer to 78 to 80 i would think

atver13
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
ok thanks i have a 400ex right now and im looking to upgrade. how r these things for the trails

LTandRaptorider
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Actually, top speed of the LTR450 in stock form is around 65mph. Put bigger rear tires on and that will increase your top speed a little. Removing airbox lid, adding cherry bomb or mods to the engine will not increase top speed, just get you there quicker. Have to change gearing, ie wheels, sprockets. :cool:

For trails I love mine. At 49" wide they can be difficult on tight trails, but I've never had a prob. Stock rear tires are 18" for MX. You'd want to change to 20" rears for trails. Best to put a 13t front sprocket on then to gain low-end power back.

atver13
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
ok thanks how often do u have to change the oil

nkillian9
04-12-2011, 11:45 PM
how would the cherry bomb not add more top speed? It uncorks it quite a bit more fuel more power with 1000 more rpm. The 72 i quoted was from dirtwheels (yamawheels) and it was tied with something else i forget what, as being the slowest top speed of the 450s,

mineralgrey01gt
04-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Actually, top speed of the LTR450 in stock form is around 65mph. Put bigger rear tires on and that will increase your top speed a little. Removing airbox lid, adding cherry bomb or mods to the engine will not increase top speed, just get you there quicker. Have to change gearing, ie wheels, sprockets. :cool:

For trails I love mine. At 49" wide they can be difficult on tight trails, but I've never had a prob. Stock rear tires are 18" for MX. You'd want to change to 20" rears for trails. Best to put a 13t front sprocket on then to gain low-end power back.

if that was the case then why when you add more hp to a car it creates a higher top speed? Also you mean to tell me if I have a 40hp atv compared to a 70hp atv that my top speed will be the same on both ill just get there quicker on the 70hp one? Please rethink your logic, that means I can take my ltr and have the same top speed if I gear my bike the same to any national quad. :rolleyes:

LTandRaptorider
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
if that was the case then why when you add more hp to a car it creates a higher top speed? Also you mean to tell me if I have a 40hp atv compared to a 70hp atv that my top speed will be the same on both ill just get there quicker on the 70hp one? Please rethink your logic, that means I can take my ltr and have the same top speed if I gear my bike the same to any national quad. :rolleyes:

To keep it short, comparing cars and quads shows poor logic. Your last example of gearing your quad the same as a national bike... Have you ever noticed after building an engine up, gearing (sprockets) are always changed? For example- stock sprockets on my LT250R are 12-42. After building my engine some, I can run 13-38. Bigger sprocket in front, smaller in rear increases top-speed. But you need an engine capable of doing that. So if you gear your LTR higher without doing anything to the engine, it will fall on it's face. Sure, given enough run on level ground your top speed will increase. The stock LTR comes with 18" rear wheels. The norm is to put 20" rears for woods riding, which gives poor performance on the low-end. Why? Because adding larger diameter rear tires changes the gear ratio. It now adds more speed, but less torque on the low-end. You could do engine work for more power to make up for this, but more common is to add a smaller front sprocket to put the gearing back close to stock, which the engine can handle without mods. Ok, this is long enough. I will resist the urge to end with the rolling-eyes smiley face.. lmfao:D

mineralgrey01gt
04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I completely understand what you are saying about sprockets and such, but what was said in the previous post is not true im sorry. HP adds speed, tq gets you there faster, its just that simple. I can keep the same gearing, tires etc on my quad, get a boost in HP and it will be faster on top end. The top speed will be higher than that of a stock quad. I dont understand why you said that adding power does not affect the top speed when it truely does. You can compare anything with a motor and gears. Its not poor logic one bit.

honda250xrider
04-17-2011, 11:36 AM
gearing and rpm's limits your top speed. All horsepower does is simply let you be able to pull taller gearing/ get you there quicker. Horsepower does not make you have more top speed.

A 100hp quad with 13-50 gearing and the same stock rev limiter will top out at the same mph as that of a 40hp quad all things being equal.

K-Dub
04-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
gearing and rpm's limits your top speed. All horsepower does is simply let you be able to pull taller gearing/ get you there quicker. Horsepower does not make you have more top speed.

A 100hp quad with 13-50 gearing and the same stock rev limiter will top out at the same mph as that of a 40hp quad all things being equal.

Spot on! A car usually runs out of power before it is gear bound, our quads have alot better power to weight ratio so we hit the limiter and get gear bound. So for a car more horsepower can sometimes give them more top speed, especially with todays gearing on cars. For more top speed your either have to change gearing or raise the limiter as already stated. If the cherry bomb raises the limiter 1k rpm then yes you will be 2 to 3 mph faster than a stock limiter.

2001400exrida
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM

This entire post is not true.

stock ltr450 goes 72mph.

cherry bomb definetly makes the top speed faster.

my friend has a yosh slip on and the yosh cherry bomb and we've clocked his at 78mph with our gps several different times.

i hate seeing posts that are so untrue so i felt obligated to correct this post.

LTandRaptorider
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
This entire post is not true.

stock ltr450 goes 72mph.

cherry bomb definetly makes the top speed faster.

my friend has a yosh slip on and the yosh cherry bomb and we've clocked his at 78mph with our gps several different times.

i hate seeing posts that are so untrue so i felt obligated to correct this post.

Oh dear... to correct a post saying another post is not true? Just a couple comments.
Stock LTR with stock tires going 72mph? Nope.

I was wrong on the Cherry bomb not increasing top speed. Yes, it adds 1,000rpm, so top speed will increase a couple mph. Adding a slip-on will not increase rpm, just allow it to rev quicker, depending on the pipe. 78mph on an LTR with stock sprockets and tires? Nope.

But this is enough of the I can go faster with putting stickers and purple power band on. I admit I'm not always right, just most of the time. Please have correct info if ya wanna correct someone. ;) Now go ride! Peace out.

nkillian9
04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
alright imma have to take the garmin for a ride tomorrow if dirtwheels says it will run 72 stock then imma see wut itll run with a cherry bomb on ill post tomorrow im thinking at least 75 myself,

2001400exrida
04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
yeah let us know what your garmin tells ya.

a stock ltr450 will hit 72mph. that's the top speed stock. If you don't agree with this, you need to do your own testing so that you can see for yourself, there is no reason to argue especially when you're wrong.....

we ran several quads with the garmin several different times.

the ltr450 had a yosh slip on and a yosh cherry bomb with a monster coil. it hit 78mph 2 different times, it has stock gearing and it has stock tires.

you were wrong about the cherry bomb and you're wrong about the top speeds ltrraptor guy. I've seen the evidence, please get your own evidence before you try to make the call.

I used to have a yfz450 and it would top out at 68mph, but it was mostly stock besides a slip on.

i've done tons of garmin tests and i'm very familiar with most of the atv's top speeds.

One of my other buddies had a yz450 dirt bike and that bad boy would hit 85mph with ease. He did have a full exhaust and some other stuff done to it, but it flew!

nkillian9
04-22-2011, 08:50 AM
alright i got 76 one time and 77 on the way back, only mods is a cherry bomb and full yosh with prodesign clamp on filter setup, razor cross 18s on the back with stock gearing, that is with a garmin gps with no mods done to it lol honestly it is right there where i thought it would be. it is an 08 if that makes any difference

2001400exrida
04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
yeah that's about right. they cruise 75+ easy with the cherry bomb.

rollie
04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Why does top speed matter? do you regularly cruise as fast as you can possibly go in a straight line?

i hate when people ask me how fast my 450r is with all my motor mods, probably slower than a stock one with the tires/gearing I have I'd be willing to bet, but i also agree with LTandRaptor's logic.

Top speed is super sick nasty if your going out to the sand pit with your bro's to drink beer and drag race. But If my quad only went 55 i probably wouldn't care because on a track your never going to be going 75 mph haha

nkillian9
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
i myself race mx and could careless about top speed im in 3rd most of the time anyways, but i use this site for information and giving information, it been really hepful with my daughters drr cvt tranny lol, but someone wanted to know wut the top speed is and was a lil curious myself, never gave it much mind b4 but now i know wut mine does,i fully see the others points and at which id never thought of be4 like gear bind limiting the top speed, yes i see that fully understand im kinda glad someone put up this post thats just one more thing i learned. :)

dxcody
06-01-2011, 04:43 PM

agreed, my friends ltr will knock the rpm limiter in 5th gear no problem, he has an HMF, CHerry bomb, 20" XCR tires and unless you get bigger sporckets, all it will do is make it top out quicker and make the low end a litter slower..

nkillian9
06-02-2011, 12:36 PM
i guess im just a lucky one to get one that will faster or maybe an unlucky one to get a faulty gps

LTandRaptorider
06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by nkillian9
i guess im just a lucky one to get one that will faster or maybe an unlucky one to get a faulty gps

When I saw this thread come back up, I was waiting for ur reply! :D All I worry about is the LTR is fast, and doesn't get beat much! :cool:

btw... Did you get ur GPS fixed yet? :devil:

nkillian9
06-22-2011, 02:18 AM
you must have me mistaken, my bike is a stocker it gets beat all the time im just replying to a question someone has asked, i have a gps and never gave it much thought till ppl were saying it would only do 65, so having a gps i figured id see wut it would say,

rescuescrub
07-30-2011, 03:11 PM
My LTR broke 80mph the other day. Oh wait...It was in the back of my buddys P/U...:)

bigbad400
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
lmao thats a good one. lol but seriously.... gps to see your speed? why dont you go down the road next to a car? i have bean riding in dif vehicles with garmins and tom tom both and had the speedo on the dash be 10 mph dif than the gps... and accelerating i could easily outrun the gps and it would take a sec to catch up. i wouldnt trust that to much. but on that note, running down the road next to my truck i only ever hit 76 with full pipe intake and cherry bomb, 20" rears and 13 t sprocket. my truck has digital speedo. :huh