PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever deal with this?

TheLane
04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Its some sort of electronic control that goes from throttle to the carb?

I talked to a friend who works at one of the atv shops out here and he said that this could be the reason whenever im not giving the bike throttle it acts like someone just shuts the key off.

I heard you can replace this or just rip it out on certain bikes.

Tommy Warren
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
like a throttle position sensor?

TheLane
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah it think so, ive been reading up on it, i guess polaris's throttle control system is the safety in case the bikes throttle gets stuck it kills the motor:eek2:

whose smart idea was this on a sport bike!?!!?

lol im gonna have this thing removed even if thats not the problem.

it seems like its notorius for being unreliable.

K-Dub
04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I cant speak about other quads, but the TPS on a 450R changes the timing curve to match how much throttle your giving it. So unless your getting an after market CDI that has timing maps not dependent on the TPS i can not see it running right with out it.

TheLane
04-11-2011, 08:25 PM
ah, i have heard this can be completely bypassed. and all it does is limit the throttle if its stuck

*EDIT: on the polaris :)

DnB_racing
04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by K-Dub
I cant speak about other quads, but the TPS on a 450R changes the timing curve to match how much throttle your giving it. So unless your getting an after market CDI that has timing maps not dependent on the TPS i can not see it running right with out it. hes talking about the tors not the tps. the tors is if your carb slide is open and the thumb lever is closed it kill the spark. either the carb safety needs to be grounded or the thumb switch needs to go to ground for the cdi to have spark. here is a pic of the trx how it works notice that either one has to be grounded for the cdi to give spark,, they can be easily bypasses by jumping the 2 wires on the switch together, and you never have to worry about freeplay in the cable stopping the quad from running... the polaris is the same design only different wire colors just jump the trottle switch

TheLane
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
ah thats an awesome diagram! i think this should be a sticky in how to's.
Now so where the throttle housing is there is an electronic wiring harness with 4 wires going into it. I need to splice the two correct ones of those together to bypass it? or am i a total n008

DnB_racing
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
ah thats an awesome diagram! i think this should be a sticky in how to's.
Now so where the throttle housing is there is an electronic wiring harness with 4 wires going into it. I need to splice the two correct ones of those together to bypass it? or am i a total n008 I dont have the wire schematic for that particular quad,to give the exact colors. but if you open up the housing it should help make some sense of which does what you need.there should be a micro switch that will open and close upon giving throttle, thats the ones that need jumping,maybe some one with that quad has a service manual and can give the right colors to jump

TheLane
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I dont have the wire schematic for that particular quad,to give the exact colors. but if you open up the housing it should help make some sense of which does what you need.there should be a micro switch that will open and close upon giving throttle, thats the ones that need jumping,maybe some one with that quad has a service manual and can give the right colors to jump

ah ok, made total sense! i jumped it and it fixed the problem!!! i think an admin should make this thread a sticky in the how to section. Awesome info! thanks a ton!