PDA

View Full Version : shifting issues

dads400ex
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Got an 05 TRX450R. My son races mx and it does have a lock up clutch on it.
Problem is when he is under full power, such as on the starts, he can shift up to 3rd and then thats it, it will not shift into 4th or 5th. But when you are just idling around you can go all the way thru the gears. I have adjusted the clutch and still does it, clutch disks and fibers are fine. It has just started this we have had the lock up in it since last year no problems until now. Could this be a result of a bent shift fork? If so which one would be most likely it, right, left or center as I have still not figured out which ones control which gear Thanks for any help as I am getting ready to tear into it. I will also look at the shift drum and linkage before I split it.

DnB_racing
04-12-2011, 07:48 AM
sorry to say but I think your going to have to split your cases, it sounds like either a bent fork of fork shaft or worn drum,

as far as which fork im not sure which one does 3rd and 4th, but if its apart you will be able to see if there is damage, after splitting one side of the cases try shifting and you should be able to tell which one it is,

if you still have a regular clutch it might be worth putting that in first just to make sure its not the clutch before splitting the cases

before doing anything try raising your shift lever to make sure its not something simple, like he is still keeping pressure on the shift with his boot, between shifting the shift must have no pressure on it or it will act like it wont shift,but that's also what a bent fork will do, but if hes riding with new boots it could be just that he isnt releasing all the way
its worth checking first to make sure before tearing apart

dads400ex
04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. Will check into those. Pretty sure it is not him keeping pressure against it though as he has been riding for 8 years now and racing the "A" class for a couple now, but it does not hurt to look at the simple stuff first. Thanks again DnB

DnB_racing
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by dads400ex
Thanks for the reply. Will check into those. Pretty sure it is not him keeping pressure against it though as he has been riding for 8 years now and racing the "A" class for a couple now, but it does not hurt to look at the simple stuff first. Thanks again DnB sometimes new boots or the shift lever was lowered, is all it takes to not shift right, but more then likely if you have the same luck as me its not something that simple

dads400ex
04-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah I know. I pulled the side cover off and looked at everything and shifted it thru the gears and it shifted just fine. Going to put the stock clutch back in and just see if it makes a difference at all then go from there. Just do not want to split the cases again, its starting to get old being in to it to much lately.

blacknblue#2
04-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by dads400ex
Yeah I know. I pulled the side cover off and looked at everything and shifted it thru the gears and it shifted just fine. Going to put the stock clutch back in and just see if it makes a difference at all then go from there. Just do not want to split the cases again, its starting to get old being in to it to much lately.

I ran A class for 2 years and trust me the maintenance does get old. Seemed like when i got to the level i was workin on it all week to race it on the weekend. I got to where i could have the cases split in what seemed like no time haha