PDA

View Full Version : will a 250r engine fit in a 250ex frame

honda270ex
02-18-2003, 01:20 PM
the 250ex's chassis is a little too big for its motor. theres enough space to fit a two stroke pipe in there. i wanted to know if it is possiable to fit any two stroke in side of my quad. has anyone ever tried this. send me pics if u have tried it !!

AndrewRRR
02-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Yes it should fit. You have to take some things into consideration. For example the R motor is water cooled, so you'll need to find a place to mount a radiator. You'll also need to make sure the countersprocket will like up ok with the rear sprocket when you mount it. You'll have to fab up motor mounts. Make sure you can operate the kick starter. You might have to get a pipe custom made.
How much $$ can you get by selling your quad? You might want to just buy an R. It would be a unique swap though. 250EX-R. heh

honda270ex
02-18-2003, 01:51 PM
i dont wAnt to sell my quad.. i want to do a project with it. i think lsr said that they will make custom pipes i think im gonna do it:D

thelegendarycd
02-18-2003, 02:13 PM
how would you get a chain back to the axle? isn't the 250ex a shaft drive? there would have to be some crazy work there to get that part to work.

AndrewRRR
02-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by thelegendarycd
how would you get a chain back to the axle? isn't the 250ex a shaft drive? there would have to be some crazy work there to get that part to work.

Oh yeah, i forgot they are shaft drive.
I didn't think LRD does custom pipes, but I know CPI does.

ZSK
02-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Don't quote me but I heard a 300ex swingarm might work. That would give you the chain drive and a hydralic (sp?) rear brake. You'd just have to worry about the front end.

NoWingNoPrayer
02-18-2003, 07:05 PM
If i have seen a Blown 350 in a Honda Del Sol i would have to say YES!.

you can make anything fit if you do it right and fry alot of brain cells

stocktires
03-15-2003, 12:42 PM
I would like to say sumthin.... This lil project you want to do will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars.
It would be much cheaper to just sell the lil 250ex and buy a high-performance quad.
The 250ex WILL NOT be able to control an 250r motor!
The 250r was designed to hold an 11hp motor. Putting a 30+HP motor would be an idiotic idea (this is a fact, not an opinion)
Basically, just forget about the whole idea.

WildCatRacer
03-16-2003, 03:18 PM
dont waste your time and money.

rider250ex
03-17-2003, 11:14 AM
well if ur goin to do it then sell me ur big bore kit. but i would say dont go for it. like everyone is sayin the chassis wont be able to handle the motor and y do it, the suspension sucks on the ex.

TRX_Thumper
03-17-2003, 12:48 PM
i would rather put a 250ex motor in 250r frame than a 250r motor in a 250ex frame simply because im the kinda racer who favors suspension and handling over horsepower

ryanh250ex
03-18-2003, 06:31 AM
WOW. this post is so amazingly stupid i cant even fathom why anybody would do such a thing. a 250R in a 250EX frame? WTF......that's like saying i wanna put a quadzilla motor in a lt80 frame....

but seriously...this conversion would NEVER work. between the power, the lack of suspension, and the cost to do a one-off custom machine, it would never work. it would be much more worthwhile to sell the 250EX and use the 3000 or whatever you make off of it to save up for a high performance machine.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

in the mean time, don't get any more stupid ideas.

AndrewRRR
03-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Jeez, no need to flame the guy! A lot of killer machines started out as "stupid ideas". A lot of machines are cool just because they are so different.
My LT/ninja isn't the fastest thing on the dunes but I guarentee it turns more heads than any blinged out banshee. My buddy is putting a S3 motor (500cc 3 cyl 2 stroke) in a blaster. I'm sure some people will say it's a stupid idea, even after he sandblasts the smile off their face!

Rip_Tear
03-18-2003, 11:55 AM
it sounds like a cool idea! :D You could see if a different swing arm would fit on the 250ex and then you wouldnt have to much to worry about the chain drive... I dont know if there is room for it though...

ryanh250ex
03-19-2003, 05:40 AM
ehh, now that i'm thinking about, if you guesseted the hell out of the frame, added a slightly longer swingarm, and were able to create some kind of long travel setup for both the front and rear , then MAYBE it would work. i dont know who would make such a thing for a 250ex, you'd probably need custom a-arms (i'm sure that would be expensive) or some kind of conversion to 300ex or 400ex shocks and a-arms (and then buy aftermarket shocks from there to fit them). i dont see the width as an issue, because if i remember correctly, the Kawasaki Tecate 4 was only 42.5 inches wide. it's tippy and all, but add some wide tires and some kind of wider axle and i think you'd be set.

if you have have the money (and are ignorant enough to keep on with the project), contact elka about their shocks for the 250ex. i would imagine their technology (and amount of travel) would be better over the only other shock company that makes stuff for the 250ex, works.

by the way- how big is your budget for this? i hope it's more than just the coins in your piggy bank.

here's the way i'm looking at it. i'm assuming you will be able to find custom parts for all of this

shocks: elka trip rates (for the front alone, mind you) with rezzies are around 750, or so i have heard

swingarm: i dunno, i'm guessing 500 or so? (i'm not really sure)

axle: 200-600?

frame guesseting: who knows (ask a z400 owner, lol)

one-off shock conversion kit (if needed): who knows, could be either really cheap or kinda expensive. i dont even know if you could convert it to another quad

a-arms (once again, if you need it): expect 500+ for custom work

i'm not 100% sure on all the prices i gave. i'm just estimating.

hmmm, that's all i can think of for now. let us know what your budget is, too.personally, i think that once you evaluate the expenses, you'll ultimately decide to save for another quad.while it's a cool idea and all, i think in the long run it'll take too much work and money to make it all work successfully.

good luck

AndrewRRR
03-20-2003, 09:48 AM
What do you want to use the quad for? If you just want a unique cruiser for playing around, forget long travel and all that crap and just do the motor. If you are planning on MX racing it and being competitive I'd scrap the whole idea and get a R or 400EX.