PDA

View Full Version : Fan re-wire?

beck125
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Ok i have been waiting for the flipping fan to kick on, on my 450 and have yet to see it, im new to these so bear with me. Does the fan kick on when the motor "feels" like it? aka when its running hot? also i have an idea to re wire the fan to turn on with the headlight switch? has anyone thought of doing this?

DnB_racing
04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by beck125
Ok i have been waiting for the flipping fan to kick on, on my 450 and have yet to see it, im new to these so bear with me. Does the fan kick on when the motor "feels" like it? aka when its running hot? also i have an idea to re wire the fan to turn on with the headlight switch? has anyone thought of doing this? its very easy to put on a switch. all you have to do is remove the wire from the thermostat sending unit and ground it and the fan will run, so if you want to switch it put a toggle in line with the wire and go to ground and you will have bypassed the sending unit

Jamey1E
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I grounded mine last week and rode all weekend with the fan on and had no problems at all.

Sjorge450R
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
been running with my fan on constantly since october of 06. I like the piece of mind that its always running. Otherwise, I never notice it come on.

beck125
04-11-2011, 10:12 PM
thats what i was thinking too, especially me coming from air cooled 440ex! so from my understanding, i take the wires off the thermo, and loop them with a switch? please put this in tard terms.

DnB_racing
04-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by beck125
thats what i was thinking too, especially me coming from air cooled 440ex! so from my understanding, i take the wires off the thermo, and loop them with a switch? please put this in tard terms. yes but then instead of putting it back on the thermo sending unit, you will put it to any ground or frame bolt

beck125
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok so eliminate thermo? Or can I run a three pole toggle in and out then ground? Ig that's just the thermostat. Cut thermo wire ground thermo wire run fan wire where? I need a switch in it

DnB_racing
04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
you dont have to switch it if you want to run fan all the time, just ground out the yellow/black stripe wire or you can switch it like this

beck125
04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Holy crap thank you!! I knew it but didn't want to go cutting vrap up on the new quad! Thanks! Now I need to tackle to kill switch!