PDA

View Full Version : Drag racing

CJM
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
So, we all start peeing matches over this-but heres some good proof.

Yesterday I raced 5 other guys about 10x.

We had a KFX 400 w/full exhaust, a 450r w/full exhaust and cam, Raptor 660, me with my worked 416, another slightly worked 450r.

Would you like to know something VERY funny?? The damn KFX is FAST. He beat out all of us somehow or another about 50% of the time, the acceleration, and topspeed is amazing for that thing.
We all pulled the raptor, the 450rs although worked ran out of steam usually b/c of the gearing they run (its lower for torque) or kept up with us and I and the KFX kept getting neck and neck unless I got a very good start.

So kiddies..can we all shut up about whose is faster now? I still wanna know how the dang KFX did it-the guy isnt that good a rider but that thing has balls I guess.

Cpt_killem
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
yeah i have a 416ex and it gets whooped by my friends kfx400 i think his has a 416 kit also with a powerbomb header, and its crazy fast, but i outrun him on the track anyday:p

2001400exrida
04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
so you and the kfx were beating the 450's all day? if they were geared they should have whooped you off the line.

Maybe in the end you were beating the 450's, but they should beat both of your 400's no questions asked.

the z400 motor is a fast one though!

also does the rider weight come in to play?

tires also come in to play, not to mention skill!

CJM
04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I would agree with you guys the Z/KFX400 was fast. I do wonder about the tires too, I have kenda klw xcs and they have ok grip, one of the 450s was running that, the other some razr mx's, the raptor IDK and the KFX has CST ambushes (razr 1's cheaper cousin)-maybe he had better grip-it was done on a kinda packed clay like mud too.

The 450s were fast, no doubt about it but they lacked topend power as both were geared down 1 tooth up front. They werent slow, I was just expecting more from them. Both are geared so low, gears 1-2 are pretty useless on them so that will explain alot The KFX still amazed me. He outweighs us all since hes 250lbs + too.

The raptor guy, I dont think he could ride it very well and it also ran like crap.

I dont get it, Im sure differences in the lanes we broke down too, tires, gearing, cams, etc. For me, I found I was running out of gears to fast kept clutching and hitting 5th and had nowhere else to go-1 more gear and the 400 would be sweet lol.

I can say awhile back I raced the same 450r with the cam and paddles at the time and another more moderately worked 450r with a cam, holeshots, pipe etc. I had a 16t front on at the time, didnt get the holeshot on the one but outran him b/c hes geared low and was neck and neck with the other worked 450r or only behind maybe 1-2 lengths.

Basically Ill say it again-im shocked for a mostly stock KFX it was fast, even more so due to his weight and he sucks at riding everywhere else. I think they have about 30hp stock, vs the 35hp 450r and 28hp 400ex. Im thinking those nice dual overhead cams really help them

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 12:42 PM
oh marc you silly boy what have you gotten yourself into... :D lol subscribed ibtl

all the big bad 450 riders here(i mean parking lot superstars with machines that mommy and daddy bought for them) wont race me on my 400 so i guess till i race them, im faster. they all say im faster anyway so ill go with that answer.
steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
oh marc you silly boy what have you gotten yourself into... :D lol subscribed ibtl

steve

No, were gonna have a civil discussion here or Im deleting it Steve.

I do wonder what performance Ill get using the 450r carb when I finally get it done in a month or so. Send me yours, the jettings the same lol and your not riding cause of the snow. cmon buddy lol..

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
ah i think i missed that in the pm from last night didnt I? whoops, ill hit you up tonight. :D steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
ah i think i missed that in the pm from last night didnt I? whoops, ill hit you up tonight. :D steve

You dont ever read it all I think, but then again i write way to much. Just gonna have to break down and cal ya, probably after school lets out as were busy.

Im frying in the comp lab right now (its 80F!) working on a paper..took a break.

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
ron saw a couple of horse as im sure i did with mine when i got it dynoed. I figured without the 450 carb i would have been around 32 hp instead of 34.

the main thing with it is the top end increase, imo with the stage 2 and the 450 carb on my 10:1 i didnt gain any low end power from the 400 carb and the stage 1. it def pulls harder though from about 4500 rpms on up to the top with the 3 degree in there. it was even more radical with the 6 in. it was about 5200 rpms and then it would take off.

if i wanted it a bit lower though, i could drop the stock key back in it and call it a day. I just never got around to it since i really like the setup i have now which is a great combo of all of it.

:D steve

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You dont ever read it all I think, but then again i write way to much. Just gonna have to break down and cal ya, probably after school lets out as were busy.

Im frying in the comp lab right now (its 80F!) working on a paper..took a break.

usually i try to get it all, i was working on my engineering lab report inbetween typing it this morning. lol i was flipping between your window, a matlab program code, and 2 word documents typing on each one as i flipped to them. lol

steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Gotcha, I cant run the 3 degree key imho with the 11:1, forget the 6. Too much dang heat without 100. 93 is already 4.20/gal and 100 is 8/gal heck no.

Im sure it will help tho :)

chronicsmoke
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
In my shop, the 426 is the slowest, but also has the most bottom end.. (hoping a stage 2 and port job helps that!!)

Raptor 660 (stock w/ slip on) beats the 426,

Z400 (with Pipe, filter, jet) and the Raptor are pretty close..

when I had my Stock KFX 450, it had a bit on the Raptor and Z400..

And my TRX450R (05 - HRC, full pipe) walks away from all of them..

I havent got a chance to race the 250r against any yet.. but if its not faster than my 450, its pretty dang close.. if the 250 can find traction!

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Gotcha, I cant run the 3 degree key imho with the 11:1, forget the 6. Too much dang heat without 100. 93 is already 4.20/gal and 100 is 8/gal heck no.

Im sure it will help tho :)

lol i forgot you were at 11:1, it was really just for comparison purposes though. imo the key doesnt add hp, it just adds the response to the throttle that is lacking. it crispens everything up a bit more than it usually runs along with changing how the engine reacts.

:D
steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info chronic. My guess is the 2 450rs gearing wasnt helping them at all b/c they lacked the topend.

@Steve:

Its truly amazing the way my throttle responds now its quite nice but I dont have much to compare it too. But a larger carb means slightly more air/fuel in-which is always good.

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
the low end of the stock carb is awesome! I will def admit that the 400 carb has more low low grunt than the 450 carb. its just the nature of a bigger carb on a smaller cc machine like ours. it is great for top end though as a result of this, as stated before.

i wish you could ride mine!

steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Yea, Ill have to see. Its not like it takes much to swap carbs back if I dont like it.

I wish I had a 10:1 piston and a 3 degree key...

lol reminds me, first race i was sooo into it I dumped the clutch a bit to fast and wheelied for 1/4 of the race then somehow was right behind the kfx.

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
its just as fast as an 11:1 stage 2 if not faster with the 6 degree. that was without the 450r carb too.

steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
its just as fast as an 11:1 stage 2 if not faster with the 6 degree. that was without the 450r carb too.

steve

Nice, shame cant really change it now.

Course, I really also want a can dam DS450 XC edition..but I dont have 8k laying around. They have close to 50hp stock, or so I hear.

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
that would be the one thing other than honda i would ride. my honda/canam dealer is great so either way i have a good one in town.

:D

anyway, if both had the same done im sure that the 11:1 would be just as fast if not a bit faster than mine with all of the same mods done. the key is the only thing that would be different. If i get to do my 440 this summer i think im gonna give the 3 a shot on 91 octane and see how it goes. :eek2: :huh

lol i will try it with some 110 first probably and see how it runs to make sure it will be good for break in then go from there if i decide to leave it in there. im still deciding now that i have the trip out west planned... im not sure what i want to spend the money on. extending the sled and a different track or the 250r and 400ex. Id spend 1000 on my sled or a 1000 on the machines i guess, i cant afford both. :( lol

steve

chronicsmoke
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM
@CJM - I've only ever drove a 450 with the hrc kit (bought it like that) but I've heard the 450 without a cam is disappointing. I know I was disappointed in the stock kfx, that's why I traded for my 250r..

@steve - put the money where it belongs! (the two hondas :p)

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
honestly im not sure which way to go. lol my 400 is set up so great right now that it really doesn't need any changing while my sled could be improved upon for even more back country riding next year.

the r will be a restoration pretty much, it is almost done really, it just needs some white fenders and I have to put the seat cover i have on it and it will look new again. I may paint a few things black again and do a bit of the gold stuff again but it is basically all stock all ready with the additions of what i want to add to it.

how did the paper come out marc?
im done with my meeting, finished up my lab report for tomorrow and printed off my new lab for in the morning. :D im finished for the night now... just in time for bed since it is already 11:22 :( just to start again tomorrow at 9 am, which at least is an hour later than i started today. :D gotta love those 1 day a week classes that are at 8 am on monday WHOOT! freaking tards... why not a wednesday morning instead?

steve

CJM
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
About 80% done with the paper, kinda fizzled out after awhile cause I was stuck in an 80F computer lab doing it.

Cant do much tomorrow, got traffic court. Shame its from 8:30 to 4:30...

ya know, a buddy of mine pointed out something-we have no idea what was done to the KFX, the guy bought it used and knows zilch. Who knows, just shocked me that one was fast.

Thinking on it I raced a pipe Z400 a month ago, wasnt that fast. Same damn quad..

honda400ex2003
04-11-2011, 09:33 PM
i wasnt impressed with the dvx i used to ride with thats for sure. lol it depended on who got the jump off of the line. I had my t-4 and a filter at that time and i believe he was stock if i remember correctly. theres no dvx thats stock thats keeping up with mine now, thats for sure.

steve

buck440
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
lol, it never gets old when people drag race quads and think they are faster.:D

tbrackman84
04-13-2011, 08:48 AM
i didn't get to read all the posts, but i have those klaw xcr's on my 400, and i'm not impressed at all! so that may have been a little bit of a problem for you, those things spin all day for me, i hate them.

CJM
04-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
i didn't get to read all the posts, but i have those klaw xcr's on my 400, and i'm not impressed at all! so that may have been a little bit of a problem for you, those things spin all day for me, i hate them.

Yea, they work good for moderately packed sand for me and looser trails but stink in the very loose sand/dirt around here no matter which way I flip them.