PDA

View Full Version : first expirience racing snocross

SRH
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Well i had the oppurtunity to race snocross, last weekend, i had never ridden a sled let alone race one...so i was very unprepared lol...it wasnt a serious thing , there was 2 other riders with disability's in the adaptive race i tried...they smoked me...lol but one of them had placed 4th in xgames adaptive class so i didnt feel bad, they were super nice though and i had a blast, i felt more comfortable than a quad or anything...i cant wait to get one setup how i need so i can get back into jumping and what not...

i was pretty nervous ...felt like puking having to ride in front of everyone never having been on one LOL

also noticed josh creamer was there racing as well

heres a pic

CJM
04-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds like fun! Never ridden a sled myself either, must be interesting to say the least.

SRH
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sounds like fun! Never ridden a sled myself either, must be interesting to say the least.

well they corner like those old suzuki lt 185's they dont have front brakes and when you turn they push like crazy lol

they ride much smoother than a quad in whooped out stuff sitting anyways, i couldnt go very fast in the choppy stuff i didnt want to get bucked off lol

Tommy Warren
04-11-2011, 04:29 AM
I've seen those races on tv before man those guys can ride! sounds like you had fun....hows the rzr? I don't know the extent of your injuries, do you have hand controls on it?

SRH
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
yes i do

Tommy Warren
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
that looks pretty good....you just pull it back to go and push it forward to whoa? nice door to BTW:macho

SRH
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
that looks pretty good....you just pull it back to go and push it forward to whoa? nice door to BTW:macho

yeah you rock them back for gas then push the lever down to brake, there great for just riding, same setup i have in my car, real rough stuff tho its hard to keep from gassing and braking

TheLane
04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
pardon me asking SRH but what kind of injury are you dealing with that you use that?

HondaRacing83
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
If im correct, hes paralyzed.

SRH
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
If im correct, hes paralyzed.

yes broke my back in 08 on my yfz

Quad18star
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Is that a Team Roscoe sled ? Like Team Roscoe out of Ontario?

How did you like riding a sled? For me I have much more fun on a sled compared to a quad .... it's similar but different. Totally different experience.

BoneStockHonda
04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
You still got snow out in Central NY?

SRH
04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
no that was in vermont...they had alot of snow still , it was a decent elevation

i loved riding the sled actually, i thought it was way more fun to ride than a quad theres alot for me to figure out about riding sleds still lol and i gotta come up with some sort of a seat setup to go fast or even attempt to,

i dont think that was there team it was just the kids name who let me run the sled

you got any recomendations on what sled i should buy quad18star? i def dont need anymore power than a 600 i think the one i was riding even had a throttle restriction of some sort for the class he was running....

i know what your probably going to say but how are the yamaha phazers? keep in mind ill either ride track or just trails by my house...will they have enough motor? trying to spend less than 3k on a sled used i was more settling on a used 04-07 rev 600

BoneStockHonda
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
A stock Phazer is very unstable. You definatly need am aftermarket sway bar. I rode my buddies and it scared the hell out of me a few times. After he got the sway bar it was a blast to ride besides the fact that it was a pig haha. My other friend had a dragon 600 and it walked all over the phazer.

KingpinsEx
04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I recently went to a snow cross race and was pretty impressed. It is amazing what sleds can do that a quad cannot. I remember seeing several riders case a big triple and just ride it out. What class was Creamer riding and was he ripping?

Quad18star
04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Well for me , I've always been a fan of Ski-Doo sleds .... I like their feel and their reliability.

I have also ridden Arctic Cat sleds and really liked them.

As someone said ... a stock Phazer is tippy and in my mind underpowered. For you being paralyzed , you'll want something that will get you out of the snow if you happen to get stuck. That's why I think the Phazer is not a good choice because you'll want the power if you happen to get in deep.

You would probably enjoy an Arctic Cat with the infinite rider positioning . You can adjust the seat and bars to what's comfy for you... I found the F8 I rode to be very well balanced.

For you ... you would probably like a 500 Rev. The 500 SS is basically a 599cc sled.

I don't like 4 stroke sleds .... just not the same for me ... but you may enjoy the power delivery.

Keep in mind that all modern sleds are reliable as long as you maintain them.

SRH
04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Well for me , I've always been a fan of Ski-Doo sleds .... I like their feel and their reliability.

I have also ridden Arctic Cat sleds and really liked them.

As someone said ... a stock Phazer is tippy and in my mind underpowered. For you being paralyzed , you'll want something that will get you out of the snow if you happen to get stuck. That's why I think the Phazer is not a good choice because you'll want the power if you happen to get in deep.

You would probably enjoy an Arctic Cat with the infinite rider positioning . You can adjust the seat and bars to what's comfy for you... I found the F8 I rode to be very well balanced.

For you ... you would probably like a 500 Rev. The 500 SS is basically a 599cc sled.

I don't like 4 stroke sleds .... just not the same for me ... but you may enjoy the power delivery.

Keep in mind that all modern sleds are reliable as long as you maintain them.

yeah i was basically figuring id pick up a used rev 500ss or 600, what needs to be done to the suspension on this to run laps and jump doubles etc?

and creamer im not sure what class he was running, had a red number 1 plate on his back..all the classes were ripping pretty good

extremeblastr
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
NEATV pro Mike Pilotte was at this snocross racing also

SRH
04-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
NEATV pro Mike Pilotte was at this snocross racing also

yeah i seen that, so was joe haavisto i beleive..not sure if it ws the same one

KingpinsEx
04-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I wonder what ever happened to Joe Haavisto, that guy ripped!

bimcgo1
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
He was the pro champ NEATV in 08 09 and 3rd in 2010

extremeblastr
04-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
I wonder what ever happened to Joe Haavisto, that guy ripped!

racing became a second priority behind having a job when his baby was born. hes been putting it down in the NEATV pro class since he left the nationals and has been doing well for himself.

BlaineKaiser450
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Get a Can Am 800 or 1000, theyre incredible

SRH
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Get a Can Am 800 or 1000, theyre incredible

pssh they aint got **** on my xp thats like going riding in a john deere tractor!!!:chinese:

KingpinsEx
04-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by bimcgo1
He was the pro champ NEATV in 08 09 and 3rd in 2010

Yea that guy would have def. been on the top in the nats with some decent support...

extremeblastr
04-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
Yea that guy would have def. been on the top in the nats with some decent support...

wasn't a lack of support really, he had what he needed to get there and was in the process of doing it. but once he and his wife had their baby he felt it was more necessary for him to be close by home and putting money away for the baby. i've never liked joe's attitude about his abilities or the way he races on the track but he does right by his family and friends. i miss seeing another new england putting in top 5 finishes at the nats but he did what he had to do.

motox_rider695
04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
if you get the rev you dont need to do anything to the suspension, stock shocks on sleds are so much better than compared to stock shocks on the quads. Worst comes to worst just get them valved for your riding type and weight. Ian at Monster Performance knows quite a bit about sled shocks, i'd talk to him.

SRH
04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by motox_rider695
if you get the rev you dont need to do anything to the suspension, stock shocks on sleds are so much better than compared to stock shocks on the quads. Worst comes to worst just get them valved for your riding type and weight. Ian at Monster Performance knows quite a bit about sled shocks, i'd talk to him.

yeah i just bought a rev this weekend its a x package has the piggback shocks, im prob not going to do anything with it til end of summer then im going to go right through it and set it up and come up with some sort of suspension for the seat