PDA

View Full Version : My past 2 months

Wills77
04-10-2011, 01:19 PM
saturday february 19th i had a bad wreck while racing at motorama. it left me paralyzed from the chest down with 2 broken bones in my neck, a burst fracture to my c6, a chipped skull, fractured upper jawbone, and a torn rotator cuff.

i had an ambulance ride to hershey medical center which i only remember a few seconds of and underwent 6 hours of surgery to install some titanium in my neck. then they tried to put me into a medicated coma until wednesday but i kept waking up early haha. they performed colt therapy to try to reduce swelling. but that also gave me lamonia. i dont remember any of that up until the day i got my breathing tubes taken out and could finally talk again. i spent 20 days in the hospital.

march 9th i got transfered by ambulance to pennstate hershey rehab center where i started to work on sitting up. after being in bed for so long everytime i would sit up my blood pressure would drop so much that i would get dizzy and sometimes passout. it took weeks to get past that. then i started working on transfering myself from bed to a chair, lifting light weights, rolling myself over, getting dressed, transferinging into a car, wheelchair skills, electrical stimulation to my right hand to try and bring the strength and movement back but it still only has 1lb of squeezeing force, and alot more activities.

today is april 10th. ive been in rehab for a month now and get to go home this thursday april 14th. i still have no movement from my chest down but i have dull feeling that has been increasing starting at my toes and working up my legs. my injury is incomplete so i could someday regain full movement of my body. it hasnt been easy going through all of this, especially not riding or racing but ive been staying very positive and cant wait to get out of here and try some new things. ive been watching alot of videos of polaris rzrs which really makes me want one with hand controls.

i want to thank everyone for their support, prayers, and well wishes. my family, my friends, my mx family thats keeping me part of the races, and everyone else. but most of all my girlfriend kayla who hasnt left my side through any of this, and slept on hospital chairs and squeeky rehab cots for the past 2 months just to be there with me. i couldnt have came all this way without her.

Cody Wills 77

HondaRacing83
04-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Ouch. I hope to god this never happens to me or my buddies. Riding is a life to me and something that i cant live without, so are my friends. Riding is a different feeling than everything else. Riding with friends is 10x funner to. Ive broke my ankle, broke my wrist, and severely ****ed up the tendons in my ankle once. But nothing worst than that. Thought I broke my neck once, came short on a double and and the rear tires hit and snapped my neck back and forth right quick. Sign i shoulda bought a neck brace right after but i didnt :/ I wont ride my quad past the yard without a helmet, gloves, and riding boots though. typically i have riding pants on to.
Id be devistated if anything like that ever happened to me. I really hope you regain feeling all the way through your body and pull through this and get right back out on the quad bro!

rpfeifer11
04-10-2011, 01:54 PM
HondaRacing83 I would recommended deleting your post becuase that is not the point of this thread and is very ignorant.

Cody Wills, I am very glad you followed up from what your girlfriend told us before. I am very sorry about what happeend to you but proud of you for being strong through it. Continue to be strong and work hard to overcome your struggles.

sly400ex
04-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Cody, this is very encouraging and great to hear your positive attitude, it will go a longer way than you could imagine. Keep the high spirits, it is truly inspirational!

LTandRaptorider
04-10-2011, 02:14 PM
HondaRacing83 is a young kid so that was probably just his way of saying get well soon!

That said, good to get an update. Cody, stay in good spirits and focus on the rehab. It is great news that you have an incomplete spinal injury. Don't think that maybe some day you will recover, keep the mind-set that someday you WILL recover. Kudos to your girlfriend for staying by your side, support is very important for you now. Good luck, stay strong! ;)

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Good to get an update and see you're in high spirits. Best of luck to you.

HondaRacing83, please get banned.

blaster12s
04-10-2011, 02:56 PM
good to hear cody. ya got a sticker on my laptop so every-time i close it i remember to say a lil payer for you. keep on working. cant wait to see you at the track again.

Wills77
04-10-2011, 03:12 PM
thanks everyone!

also if anyone has any info on converting a quad to be more rideable for me thatd be nice. like electric shifter and hand brakes etc. or any thing else that might help. i knowtheres a member here that is paralyzed that has a nicely setup yfz. and i really look up to SRH and would like to do something similiar to him

one of the first things i wanna do when i get home is get back on my ltr and atleast try to putt around a little bit.

Wills77
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by blaster12s
good to hear cody. ya got a sticker on my laptop so every-time i close it i remember to say a lil payer for you. keep on working. cant wait to see you at the track again.

thanks man... im thinkin about all you d6 guys every raceday.. and ill definitely be at some d6 races this year to watch.. i miss racing so much but really want to stay a part of it

rpfeifer11
04-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Wills77
thanks everyone!

also if anyone has any info on converting a quad to be more rideable for me thatd be nice. like electric shifter and hand brakes etc. or any thing else that might help. i knowtheres a member here that is paralyzed that has a nicely setup yfz. and i really look up to SRH and would like to do something similiar to him

one of the first things i wanna do when i get home is get back on my ltr and atleast try to putt around a little bit.

That is a great attitude to have. You will be on the track again in no time.

bens250ex
04-10-2011, 03:43 PM
stay positive my friend and you can concore anything. Many prayers sent

DnB_racing
04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
you are an inspiration to many!!!
i give you so much credit.I can honestly say I dont think I would be as brave as you have been,
good luck and with that attitude any thing can be possible, i wish you and your family well
if something like this ever happens to me I only hope I can be as strong as you, something very good will come from this!

your strength and determination alone will help others...

you truly are a shinning star

reconmaster
04-10-2011, 04:21 PM
thanks everyone!

hey dude hit me up on facebook under ben brown my dp is me lifting weights i'll hook ya up with info to set up your ltr

duke721
04-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Cody I really look up to you for turning the worst situation and try to make something out of it, really hope to see you on a quad soon or later, i wishh you and your family well get better soon

Duke Valenti

CJM
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM
So sorry to hear you took such a nasty spill. I hope you regain everything back!
Remember a very important thing my grandmother tells me all the time:

Life is what you make of it, you and you alone control where you life goes and how it goes on.

Stay positive man, hope you get better!

eastside 400
04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
glad to hear you get to go home Cody! glad to hear all the improvements, i got a grab bar for your bike sitting in my car, i havent had the chance to make it up since the last time. i'll have to stop by when you get home sometime

1999x400ex
04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
really sorry to hear about all of this =/ sounds like youve been through alot, hopefully all will be well and youll be back on the seat of your quad where you belong. just stay positive and keep working hard. keep us updated, and your in my prayers man

SRH
04-10-2011, 10:06 PM
saturday february 19th i had a bad wreck while racing at motorama. it left me paralyzed from the chest down with 2 broken bones in my neck, a burst fracture to my c6, a chipped skull, fractured upper jawbone, and a torn rotator cuff.

i had an ambulance ride to hershey medical center which i only remember a few seconds of and underwent 6 hours of surgery to install some titanium in my neck. then they tried to put me into a medicated coma until wednesday but i kept waking up early haha. they performed colt therapy to try to reduce swelling. but that also gave me lamonia. i dont remember any of that up until the day i got my breathing tubes taken out and could finally talk again. i spent 20 days in the hospital.

march 9th i got transfered by ambulance to pennstate hershey rehab center where i started to work on sitting up. after being in bed for so long everytime i would sit up my blood pressure would drop so much that i would get dizzy and sometimes passout. it took weeks to get past that. then i started working on transfering myself from bed to a chair, lifting light weights, rolling myself over, getting dressed, transferinging into a car, wheelchair skills, electrical stimulation to my right hand to try and bring the strength and movement back but it still only has 1lb of squeezeing force, and alot more activities.

today is april 10th. ive been in rehab for a month now and get to go home this thursday april 14th. i still have no movement from my chest down but i have dull feeling that has been increasing starting at my toes and working up my legs. my injury is incomplete so i could someday regain full movement of my body. it hasnt been easy going through all of this, especially not riding or racing but ive been staying very positive and cant wait to get out of here and try some new things. ive been watching alot of videos of polaris rzrs which really makes me want one with hand controls.

i want to thank everyone for their support, prayers, and well wishes. my family, my friends, my mx family thats keeping me part of the races, and everyone else. but most of all my girlfriend kayla who hasnt left my side through any of this, and slept on hospital chairs and squeeky rehab cots for the past 2 months just to be there with me. i couldnt have came all this way without her.

Cody Wills 77

could always be worse man, good to hear your making improvements

ive been through this as has ben, it will be rough for awhile but it gets better, you have a much better outlook and attitude if you take the expirience as a positive, youll notice your going to go through stages...youll be happy for a month then break down...then 3...then 6...then itll be a yr...its just a grieving process like someone very close to you has died ....very intense

heres some advice...

no pain killers

no anti depressants

dont pay any attention to what doctors say you can and cant do

get back to driving ASAP --honda elements work awesome...conveinence of a van without looking as gay lol...u need that freedom even if its to get out the house for a drive

with quads youll find what works and doesnt work for you, i have no desire to race or ride mx on a quad anymore and i dont feel like even riding a shift quad... i sold both my race bikes when i got hurt , bought my car, then bought a used yamaha wolverine 450 it was great for playing around and the only way i was hindered was not being able to stand

ben would surely be the one to talk to if you want to adapt your ltr he flys still , its all what you want to do

me personally breaking my back was the end of me and motocross , i did race a gncc the following yr on my wolverine it was fun, i needed to do that for myself

rzr's are the way to go ! easy and much safer

KXRida
04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
glad to hear on the update! With the advances in medicine hopefully they can help you out in the near future, especially since you're an incomplete SCI. I work at the trauma ICU at our local hospital and have seen many SCI's live completely full and functional lives, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Anthony Mastrocola is a member on here and was paralyzed from the waist down at steel city a few years ago and is still doing pretty well. I was just down in harrisburg again this weekend and it didn't cross my mind to stop in. Once again, glad to hear things are progressing and keep us updated!

ZeroLogic
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Glad to hear you are doing better! Keep your head up and keep on keeping on.:macho

Sjorge450R
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
you seem like your recovering real well. You'll be better in no time. Keep your head up man

fastredrider44
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Please stay in good spirits. Show everyone how tough us riders/racers are and don't get down about it. God Bless!

chucked
04-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Glad to see you're in good spirits. I saw the crash and have been following you ever since. You have a hell of a girlfriend judging by the posts she makes on facebook.

Crazy lil punk
04-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't know you too well, but you have been in my prayers and I have been following your progress, stay strong buddy.

Wills77
04-15-2011, 07:17 PM
THANKS EVERYBODY

well i came home from rehab today (friday) around lunchtime. heres a picture of the first 20 minutes that i was home. i sat on it and moved my body around to check my balance then started it and gave it a couple nice revs. but i dont have enough hand control or strength to work all the controls yet. but it felt great to be back on it.
i noticed my left nerfbar is bent wayyy up, my stem is bent back, my throttle cable is bent and crimped, grab bar is snapped (but my buddy chris mccauley got me a new one. thanks man : ) and theres white marks on my handlebars, front plastic and front bumper which im guessing is from my boots

eastside 400
04-15-2011, 09:25 PM
i couldnt believe how decent the quad was actually, i checked it out for a little when they got it to the pits and i just looked over everything, before i knew the extent of what actually happened. the brake perch was bent straight down but i managed to fix that haha.

rpfeifer11
04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Happy to see you back on it. Stay strong and work hard and getting back at what you love to do. I hate to see anyone like this let alone anyone who does the same thing as me. Very cool to see you are back on it as soon you got a chance to be. I'm sure your buddys will fix that ltr all up for you so it's ready for you when you are ready for it.

honda400ex2003
04-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Congrats on getting back on! you are an inspiration to many, including myself. keep your head up and before you know it, you will be ripping again as you were.

:D Cheers,
steve

BlasterBTW
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear your home man! Hopefully I can come visit soon!

TheLane
04-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow, cody i know i havent posted much but as he said you have been a huge inspiration. I also wanted you to know right after your accedent, your situation motivated me to start protecting myself better and i went out and bought a neck brace.

Not 2 days after that i had a bad accedent at the track and to my knowladge that neck brace might of saved my life.

Cody i hope you get better soon! Im sure you will be back in the scene in no time, that dull feeling is a great sign!

reconmaster
04-16-2011, 06:09 PM
good to see you got on the bike keep workin hard....sci's are a testment of mental toughness but always remember victorys reserved for the most