PDA

View Full Version : Question about Race gas and lawnmowers

troybilt
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
It doesn't gum up a carb or anything if I run my old MIXED race gas in my Lawnmower? I assume it will just smoke a little more, but that smells good, so not really an issue. Just wanted to make sure.

Dustin_Drews
04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
It will not hurt anything... As long as you are not mixing like 25 to 1
If anything it helps with top end wear!
Also another benefit is that most of the oils today have some sort of fuel stabilizer in them so you should not have to worry about your carb varnishing up over the winter!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

danhung11
04-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I've heard octane levels drop when the fuel is sitting. I've done this before and my blower and weedeater are fine. Plus, it really makes you want to rev up the trimmer/blower due to the fine smell in the air...LOL!

BTW - it added a few ponies... :D

fastrnrik
04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
won't hurt anything. I do it all the time in the mower, rhino, generator, etc. It's too expensive to waste! haha

C-LEIGH RACING
04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
From years of doing mower repair.
If your rider has some age on it & those gas hoses never been replaced, that race gas will cause the inside of the hose to flake off & then all those fine pieces will find their way to the carb foat bowl.

Had that happen to more than one mower over the years, I even got bit.

Only thing I can figure, I guess from regular gas running through the hoses they become brittle on the inside where the gas has pulled the oils out of the rubber & then when you add the race gas the chemical in the race gas clean or break the brittleness of the hose loose & to the carb it flows.

Stopped my carb up so bad no gas could flow through the main jet, little fine pieces of hard rubber.

I would feel safe saying, if the fuel hoses, or your mower is fairly new, you probably wouldnt have a problem using up that old race gas.
This same thing goes for your car or truck, specially a Ford.
Neil

ARC250R
04-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Lol, I thought I was the only one who does this!.... For years Ive put the leftovers from the last season into mowing the lawn. makes me crave the trail though :blah:

troybilt
04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
.... probably wouldnt have a problem using up that old race gas.
This same thing goes for your car or truck, specially a Ford.
Neil

Will race gas make a ford run better? :blah:

Its a push mower, and its a honda if that makes any difference, only the best for my lawn... :p

fastrnrik
04-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ARC250R
Lol, I thought I was the only one who does this!.... For years Ive put the leftovers from the last season into mowing the lawn. makes me crave the trail though :blah:

Nope, you ain't alone. I been doing it for years too haha. The only race gas I'm scared to run in the mower is the oxygenated stuff, mainly because you have to jet up AND its corrosive if left in the fuel system. I have a 30 gal drum of VP U2 that moisture got to that just sits in the shop taking up space. We want to take it out back and shoot it with a rifle and watch it explode LOL
Yes.... we're kinda "simple" haha

IcutMetl
04-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I have been running either a 50/50 mix or full 110 and Klotz mix thru my weed wacker, blower, lawn mower, snowblower, generator, four wheelers, and whatever else for at least two years. I hate having 4 cans taking up space, and the lawn equipment hardly uses much.

On another note, that slight hint of Super Techniplate when I'm mowing the lawn or throwing snow only makes me wanna ride more!

wilkin250r
04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I had a small rototiller a few years back, and ran out of gas. So I put my Race Gas with Castor 927 in it.

It ran, but it ran like crap, it wouldn't idle and was really hard to start. When I put regular gas and normal, cheap, Wal-Mart premix oil in it, it ran like a champ again. I do NOT have an explanation for this.

sand_blaster
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I ran 1 month old race fuel mixed 40:1 in a 1970s mower. it actually ran pretty darn good. Smoke alittle though

K-Dub
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I had a small rototiller a few years back, and ran out of gas. So I put my Race Gas with Castor 927 in it.

It ran, but it ran like crap, it wouldn't idle and was really hard to start. When I put regular gas and normal, cheap, Wal-Mart premix oil in it, it ran like a champ again. I do NOT have an explanation for this.

Not enough compression to make the race fuel burn right.

ridered250R
04-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't need to respond but this is such a great thread that I feel like I have too. I run leftover 110 with klotz in EVERYTHING when I need to. Weed wacker, Chainsaw, blower, 110 in the lawn mower. My chainsaw and weed wacker love the stuff. They work so well! Its actually quite funny, and let all of you have said....Just makes you want to ride.