PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Bearing Problem

bostthehause
04-09-2011, 10:16 PM
After noticing some play in the axle of my 400ex I decided to replace the rear axle bearings. When I removed the bearing carrier from the swingarm I found that the bearing on the chain side of the axle was completely destroyed. All of the balls in the bearing were gone and all that was left was the inner race (which I was able to remove) and the outer race (that was stuck in the bearing carrier). As you can see in the picture, the outer race is still stuck in the carrier and the inside of the carrier where the seal sits is chewed all up. The bearing on the brake disk side of the carrier was in much better condition and I was able to remove it from the carrier. Correct me if I am wrong but I have decided that the carrier is trashed and I will be ordering an aftermarket one soon.

After further inspection I found that the axle had been damaged too. In the picture I posted, area #1 is where the bearing contacts the axle. This area appears to be worn down slightly. I am concerned that it may be too worn to re-use but I don’t know how to tell. I can measure the diameter with a micrometer but I don’t know what the correct measurement for this axle should be and I can’t seem to find the specs anywhere online or in my manual. I guess I could compare it with a measurement from the area of the axle that the bearing on the brake disk side contacts. Does anyone know how much of a difference in the two measurements would render the axle useless?

Also in the picture posted, area #2 is the part that the bearing carrier seal seats against to seal out dirt, water, etc. As you can see, it is chewed up to the point that a new seal would be destroyed with just a few turns of the axle. This area is not part of the actual axle; it is part of the sprocket hub that comes pressed on to the axle. I know that one option is to smooth out this area with a dremel or something similar. However I am concerned that smoothing out the area will reduce the size to the point where the new seal will not seat tightly enough against it to keep dirt, water, etc. out of the carrier. Another option that I have considered is to replace the whole sprocket hub. However since it is pressed on to the axle, would I have to get it pressed off and then have a new hub pressed on? Or I could just buy a used axle that comes with the sprocket hub already on it. What do you guys think is my best option?

bostthehause
04-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry I forgot to attach pics

bostthehause
04-09-2011, 10:18 PM
more pics

bostthehause
04-09-2011, 10:19 PM
one more pic

CJM
04-10-2011, 06:09 AM
The axle looks salvageable, I'd grind/sand it smooth and check clearances when you go to put ti back together.

You need a new carrier, if you go on ebay and search you can get one for about 100 bucks with bearings and everything in it. These are much stronger, dual row bearing carriers-they use a wider bearing.

grovesbm
04-10-2011, 11:43 AM
yes get new bearing carrier dual row....with grease zerk! i got a RAD carrier and its worked out good so far but i know it will blow eventually Area 1: slide new bearing carrier over axle before install and check to see where the bearing sits/spins on axle and see if it fits snug.....if it doesnt you may need a new one Area 2: check fit on bearing seal .....mine was worn and i used some JB weld and ground it down to make the seal fit perfect.........

either way it will prolly be fine if you have a grease zerk on the new carrier.........just pump grease in there AFTER riding/washing

all depends on how, where and how much you ride!

rooster300ex
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Yea get a dual row carrier. Expensive mistake huh. I bet u will check out your bearing carrier more often now. Every now and then I'll take my axle locknut off and the brake spindle and take a look at the bearing.